Hosted by Darren Baker
M561 Gama Goat w/M101 trailer
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Armorama: 684 posts
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2010 - 03:00 PM UTC
Like a lot of prior service modelers, I like building vehicles from my old units. Probably because it was my first unit, I especially enjoy doing vehicles from 1st Bn, 2nd Field Artillery, 8th ID in Germany from the early 1970s. The one vehicle that's been missing for a long time is the M561 Gama Goat. So when Perfect Scale Models came out with their resin kit, I was hooked.

Overall it's a very nice kit, but as usual I couldn't keep from adding more details which naturally adds to completion time.

I also wanted to include the M101 3/4 trailer, and happily, Miniman Factory has just issued a resin version which is a significant improvement over the existing Italeri version, so that's part of the overall project as well. Since that doesn't include the side racks or bows those had to be scratch built as well. I wasn't totally pleased with the canvas treatment on the cab or cargo compartment on the Gama Goat, so I've scratch built frames and bows, and all of those will be covered with painted tissue paper which works very well as canvas.

Neither kit made provisions for the wheels to turn, so I managed to handle that without too much trouble, and with a bit of work with a pin vise, the tailgates will now open and close.

The last major modification involved constructing a working hinge and support struts for the engine compartment cover. PSM molded a VERY nice (and empty) engine compartment behind the cab and in hopes that SOMEBODY will make an aftermarket engine like they did for the M109 and Humvee, I've set that up to add later.

If this link works, here are some in-progress shots. I'm shooting to finish by the end of the year.

http://s360.photobucket.com/albums/oo41/thathaway3/Gama%20Goat%20Project/?action=view¤t=IMG_0318.jpg
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2010 - 03:39 PM UTC
Looking good Tom. Great work so far. The engine doesn't look too hard to build. It is a standard engine and acessories..

I think you can scratch it up. I say go for it. You could start with an engine from something else, or scratch the block and use the accessories from something like a Tamiya or Academy M113 engine.
redleg12
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 872 posts
Armorama: 831 posts
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2010 - 05:06 PM UTC
Tom - Looking very nice. I just completed the Commander Models M561. It has similar problems and also required scratch bows. Just the memory of the maintenance on the real deal, made me close the engine compartment

If your interested, here is some shots of my completed goat on my web site and my build log.

http://www.redleg2scale.com/model%20gallery/M561.html

Keep up the great work.....redlegs and their goats!!

Rounds Complete!!
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 05:42 AM UTC
Mike and Gino, thanks for your comments and especially to Mike for the link to his build. Interesting as I looked at differences in how the two manufacturers approached the kit. The fenders in the PSM version are also resin rather than PE, and I had to actually request another set of rear fenders (which were immediately sent with no problems on request) due to some major bubble issues. They provided resin cab and cargo canvas, but I wasn't happy with the shape of the cab and the cargo was rather thick, which is why I'll do my own. The racks, however were quite well done and I'll be using those. One really intricate thing on the PSM version was the entire suspension. All the conrol arms are attached by drilling out the holes and using styrene rods as connecting pins. RIGHT UP MY ALLEY!!

They even included tie rods, although to make the wheels turn AND rotate, I'd have had to make U-joints for the wheel ends and that's too much even for me.

Gino, thanks for the photos on the engine. Certainly looks do-able. What I'll probably do is "declare victory" without the engine, wait a while and then add it later. ("Later" being defined as completing my scratch build one week prior to the surprise introduction of an aftermarket version!

I was in the unit when we converted from solid OD to the 4 color 7th Army pattern, and we literally chalked, numbered sections and hand painted our vehicles, so they were pretty rough looking. I've hand painted all the other vehicles I've done and rather than mask and spray, I'll hand apply the pattern over OD which I'll spray first.

BTW, I LOVE the chain on the stering wheel!!! I'd totally forgotten about those, and I'm planning on shamelessly copying that. I'm also considering airplane tissue for canvas. I've used regular tissue previously and it's much tougher to get sized and cut properly.

More to follow.
redleg12
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 04:33 PM UTC
Tom - Here is a trick I do with the canvas. Yep, aircraft tissue has no fuzz and is easy to cut. Now...I cut slightly bigger in all the dimensions. I use ship rigging string and do a tiny fold on all the ends to encase a strip of string....just wetting and letting the ends almost dry. Then I apply the tissue as canvas.

It gives you the canvas ties at the ends and make the edges stronger. Once you get the hang you can also bunch it on the front and back opening arches.

PS....Nothing shameless about stealing the chain idea....thats what we are all here for.....sharing and ancient memory jogging

Enjoy

Rounds Complete!!
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 05:53 PM UTC
I've finally completed the M561 Gama Goat and the M101 Trailer. Here's a link to the photos.

The M561 is the new Perfect Scale Model Resin kit, and the M101 is the Miniman Factory Resin kit.

Both kits are very well done, however I was disappointed with how the canvas on the M561 looked, and there was nothing at all on the trailer, so I scratch built bows and rails and used airplane tissue for the canvas.

I also modified the Gama Goat to include an AN/VRC-46 radio (in the back) with an intercom box and separate speaker in the cab.

You'll notice that the engine cover opens and closes. I've opted (for the moment) to NOT scratch build all that.

(Now IF ONLY somebody ----->> HINT, HINT CMK) would build an aftermarket accessory, it would fit SO nicely in there and I'd be HAPPY to review it!!!

Here's the link:

http://s360.photobucket.com/albums/oo41/thathaway3/M561%20Gama%20Goat%20with%20Trailer/
redleg12
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2010 - 02:09 AM UTC
Tom - Nice goat. The canvas is not bad. What I do to shape it, I use a brush and landscape cement. As it is beginning to set, I use the damp brush to move the tissue and make the wrinkles and folds I want. The good part with the tissue is it has the right appearance/texture.

Humm, interesting...the Commanders Models version comes with a complete engine. I decided to do mine closed.....drop me a line through my website if interested and I will check if it is in the parts box.

Nice job with the AN/VRC 46....I was going to on mine but Where is the little donkey tail for the R442??? Or is there only an RT524 installed?

No chain an the stearing wheel looks good inside.

Nice work all around. Once you go ride goat....no other ride is the same!!

Brings back old memories....again......gotta go now, my ears hurt...need to wear protection!!

Rounds Complete!!
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2010 - 06:52 AM UTC
Thanks. On the cargo tarp, after I got the size correct, first thing I did was took your suggestion and ran a length of thread just inside both ends and folded the edges over it. And then I just painted it in place, first starting with the ends to seal them and then the rest of the canvas. The PSM kit comes with a large resin piece for the canvas, so I simply placed the tissue on that as a mold, and painted to shape there so I wouldn't get any paint on the kit.

The TRICK is you have to take it off while it's still a bit wet and not completely dry and move it to the kit.

I checked our MTOE and the XO was only authorized an AN/VRC-46 which is a single RT-524. The FDC had an AN/VRC 49 which consisted of two RT-524s, and the BC's jeep had an AN/VRC-47 which was the RT-524 and the R-442.

I'll PM you a little story about the engine !

Happy New Year.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2010 - 10:34 AM UTC
Turned out looking great Tom.
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2010 - 01:19 PM UTC
Thank you Dave! It was a fun build and filled in a hole in my collection of vehicles from my first unit.
redleg12
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 31, 2010 - 03:40 PM UTC
Tom

PM back.....hummm I could be wrong, I know the FDC had a trailer but I don't remember the XO having a trailer.....no matter....It looks great.

I am glad my canvas thing worked for you...it looks real good....IMO.... It is a lot more realistic than an old nose blow tissue....Airplane tissue is always my choice for canvas.....the string helps give it the right look. The overhang is always tough....at 1/35 it is hard to get all the folds just right.

Well, have a Happy New Year and congrats on a great build.....put your hearing protection on and drive off to the next build!!

Keep you lots separated!!

Rounds Complete!!
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 03:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tom

PM back.....hummm I could be wrong, I know the FDC had a trailer but I don't remember the XO having a trailer....

Rounds Complete!!

It comes down to unit practice, and MTOE.

First of all, our XO wasn't actually authorized a trailer by MTOE, nor was the FDC.

In a mech unit, the FDC operated out of an M577, and although it got crowded with a FADAC AND two 3Kw generators for that (carried on top of the track) we managed without one. I remember seeing other M577s and M113s pulling trailers in other units, but our unit never did.

But an FDC for which the Gama Goat was the assigned vehicle, there's no way you could manage all that stuff PLUS the entire section without more room.

What happened in 1/2 FA was that just before I got there the XO operated out of an M151 and pulled a trailer. Shortly after I arrived we went to a new TOE and he lost the M151 and got issued an M561 which he HATED. By the time he got all his gear, (aiming circles, spare chart board as "alt FDC", etc) as well as the personal gear he felt like he needed more room. The new MTOE allocated 2 M561s and 2 M101s to the Wire Section, and he promptly decided he was taking one of the trailers. I've "depicted" that with the bumper numbers: the M561 is B-15. You'll notice the trailer is B-33, and was SUPPOSED to be pulled by the Commo Goat B-32. If my FDC had been assigned a Goat, I'd have probably done the same thing!

As an aside, while the BC was allocated an M151, he also did not get a trailer by the new MTOE, and THAT was also not going to happen. At that time the FO's belonged to the Firing Batteries, and we were authorized 3, each section with an M151 AND a trailer. Since we NEVER had but ONE LT assigned as an FO anyway, the BC commandeered one of those trailers as well. If you were to look closely at my "B-1" you'll see he's pulling "B-39". The XO tried to convince the BC to let him use the other "spare" FO M151 and trailer but he lost that argument. I believe it was shortly after that he decided if he was stuck in a Goat, HE'D steal a trailer TOO.
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 602 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 03:51 AM UTC
Looks really good Tom.

I have always loved the look of this vehicle. Its just so different from the usual U.S. stuff. If it was to ever come out in styrene I would snap one up in an instant.

What was it like to drive this thing? I understand from Mikes comment it was a loud vehicle?

Also...maybe I am a bit groggy this morning but what is airplane tissue?

Thanks for sharing.

Jeff
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 04:09 AM UTC
I was only in one infrequently, and what I remember was that because the engine was directly behind you it was LOUD and you had to wear ear muffs. I seem to recall the vehicle was reasonably comfortable but disconcerting in that you had NOTHING in front of you.

This was the first time I'd used airplane tissue, and I believe it's what is generally used when you're building RC and other flying aircraft models. I'm assuming that after you build your frame, you cover it with this just like the old planes did. It's quite light and I'm sure that helps with RC planes.

It's a bit like the paper you stuff into gift bags, but takes paint, etc pretty well. I wasn't able to locate any at my LHS, but I have a good friend who's into RC and he gave me a sheet. It's a bit thin and you need to be gentle cutting it, but it's better than Kleenex.

If you're going to do your own canvas, I'd recommend it.
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 602 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 08:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This was the first time I'd used airplane tissue, and I believe it's what is generally used when you're building RC and other flying aircraft models. I'm assuming that after you build your frame, you cover it with this just like the old planes did. It's quite light and I'm sure that helps with RC planes.

Ah thanks for clarifying that for me. I think I might know someone who will have it.

Cheers
Jeff

Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 09:05 AM UTC
I've never used Kleenex, but swear by my old fashion tissue that comes with new shirts for making tarps.
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 10:50 AM UTC
Definitely very close! The aircraft tissue I have is a bit softer, lighter and a bit more "fibrous" sort of like a dryer sheet, but without any coating. It certainly does a good job of soaking up paint.

But the shirt tissue would certainly be a lot easier to come by!
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 03:28 PM UTC
Thanks to fellow Redleg, Mike Del Vecchio (Redleg 12), who provided me his unused engine from the Commander M561 Gama Goat, I have updated my PSM Goat with an engine.

I wound up finding a pretty good number of photos of the real engine on line so I was able to add a considerable amount of additional items not included with the original.

I had to make some compromises to get everything to fit inside the engine compartment, get the cover to close and the support arms to fit inside, managed to get everything inside.

Here's a link to the photos, some of the rough work and some after installation.

http://s360.photobucket.com/albums/oo41/thathaway3/Gama%20Goat%20Engine/

Tom
redleg12
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 11:53 PM UTC
Sweet.......very nice look....my stomach is getting quezy just remembering PMCS on the goat....looks great....nice addition to the motor pool.

Glad to have fired in support

Rounds Complete!!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 11:59 PM UTC
She came out really nice. The engine turned out great. Good job on it.
trahe
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,158 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 12:26 AM UTC
Great work on the Goat! Only rode on them in the schoolhouse at Ft Sill, but it does bring back memories! Rah VA Mil!
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 01:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rah VA Mil!

Rah, Rah, RAH! (So what class were you?)

Mike and Gino thanks for your kind words, and especially to Mike for providing the engine. I do have to say that it did require some major mods to get it to look like the photos!
 _GOTOTOP