Hosted by Darren Baker
K-50 Telephone Repair Truck
jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Armorama: 238 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 02:06 PM UTC
I am collecting information (or trying to collect information) on the US Army Signal Corps K-50 telephone repair truck. I'm planning on building this in 1/25 scale. I know that the first of these trucks was based on the 1941 Chevrolet 1/2-ton pick-up, but I don't know what they looked like.

Being primarily a "truck guy", I'm not sure where to get information on this type of vehicle. What color woud it be? What type of insignia would be on the vehicle? Color? Are there 1/25 US Army figures available that would be appropriate for this vehicle? (I'd only need two.) What type of equipment would be visiable while under way (ladders, etc)? Was the Chevrolet K-50 ever deployed, or only the K-50-B Dodge version?

Thanks for your help.

Jim
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 - 04:15 PM UTC
I believe this is what you are looking for?

Found this one doing a google search of K50 telephone repair truck:
jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 12:58 AM UTC
Yep, that's what I'm looking for. I have the bottom pic as well, but I still can't tell what the markings are. In 1941 would they be yellow?

Jim
windysean
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
Armorama: 735 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 02:07 AM UTC
I don't have any pictures to offer, but I like your idea. There's a "Not Fighting Vehicles" campaign, and I was considering a 1/35 Dodge K-50 for it. You're right that the Chevy would be easier to find in 1/25. Anyway, if you want company, you can join the Armorama campaign with your build.
-Sean.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 04:59 AM UTC
The serial numbers would be blue drab.
Markings seem to be few, if any.
Here's a link to the Van Duesen Collection, mostly pre-ww2-early war vehicles.
Van Duesen Collection
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 05:43 AM UTC
Here's another picture :

HTH

Frenchy
jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 06:33 AM UTC
Having hr ladder like that doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense. How does the driver get in? More importantly, how does he get out!

Jim
jakes357
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 254 posts
Armorama: 132 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 10:52 AM UTC
Hi Jim,
I believe they used the passenger door. Many trucks in the 40-50's had the drivers using the pass side for safety reasons
I'm sure you know this but there is a Revell '41 Chevy pickup available and there has been a telephone type body very similar to the pics on Ebay lately.
You have all the pics I have and if Frenchy could only come up with one,there ain't much out there.
As Dave said blue drab would be the color of the letters in the serial #.
You might quiry the MVPA as it's members have a lot of resources available privately that they like to share.
Sorry, thats all i got.

Jake
jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 12:35 PM UTC
Yes, I've seen the 1941 Chevrolet pick-up kit at my LHS recently. I just need to pick it up. Is this the phone truck body you mentioned: Resin 1950 Ford- Phone Truck Box Revell - AMT. The fenders are a little different, but the body looks similar. I'd probably spend $20 in plastic trying to make it myself!

What's MVPA? Since the truck I'm planning on building will be for the US Army Signal Corps, would the truck be olive drab?

Jim
jakes357
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 254 posts
Armorama: 132 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 02:12 AM UTC
Jim,
Yes that's the body I was refering to. It would depend on your scratchbuilding skills whether or not to use something like that. Just offering an alternative. Many times it's time vs money vs skill vs enjoyment etc.

MVPA= Military Vehicle Preservation Association, an international group of vehicle enthusiasts that restore and display military vehicles. Sort of a car club for guys who like OD, which is the color of the truck you want to build. These folks are always eager to help out and educate people.

Steel Soldiers is another site that overflows with info.

Be advised there are many shades of OD, some of which are not correct for WWII era vehicles. There is all kinds of paint available to match your needs. Questions on the Armor/AFV site here will get some info too.

I'm not aware of any 1/25 scale US figures, 1/35 is the usual scale for military vehicles/personnel. That said, I believe some US soldiers involved in the mechanical trades wore coveralls in HBT (herringbone tweed) as a work uniform during the early years of WWII. Maybe one of the 1/25 mechanics sets from Tamiya could be modified to meet your needs as they have coveralls I think.

In that these were not heavy duty 'tactical vehicles' (meant to be used in a combat zone) I would think they would have only been used in the states. Essentially they were civilian trucks painted OD. Pressed into service to help build the rapidly growing infrastructure of military bases, when worn out they were junked and recycled as was all steel in this time period.

Hope this helped.

Jake
alamobacon
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 02:53 AM UTC
This might help your search http://www.wc43.com/ good luck
 _GOTOTOP