_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Leopard2a6 construction/PM/color for freshman
hliu24
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 798 posts
Armorama: 797 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 08:51 AM UTC
I am building tamiya leopard 2 a6 with Alliance model works PE kit, still under construction, since it is the first build after 18 years after I got tried of video games....I will need a lot of help and suggestion to finish up this project from all the pros. And thank everybody who gave me advice about removing the molded on parts(knife/ chisel blade technique).

Part/Tools list

Tamiya Leopard 2 a6 / Alliance model works PE / trying to get perfect scale MG3 and 6/2 multi charge launcher.

Tamiya Basic Tool set /Craft Saw/ Cement glue / OLFA Art knife/chisel blade /Round Rod Styrene

The first thing to glue the basic plastic parts then remove the unwanted parts and put the PE on, it really takes a lot of time to do it with careful care, I already messed up the Mg3 machine gun due to the small size ......so need to order that again

The Cement glue works very good between the PE and plastic but bad when I try to glue the PE parts together, anybody knows what to glue those aluminum parts?

Thx

Jay
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,672 posts
Armorama: 2,475 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 - 09:35 AM UTC
For glueing PE, metal and resin I like to use a gel type crazy glue. If I need more time for setting i'll use an epoxy.

cheers
hliu24
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 06:32 AM UTC
Hi, Brian

Thank you for help, your leopard looks beautiful..

My main issue right now is building the truck bed cover clasp, I am kind of fail all of them(4 in total).....I might have to buy all those again from AM.....

Also, Rick Thanks for the tip

Jay
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 07:43 AM UTC
If this is your first kit in 18 years and first PE set, you may have bitten off more than you can chew. I would recommend starting on some easier kits to build up some experience before tacking a large PE set. You may want to start a few as straight out of the box builds first. Then maybe a couple with simple PE in the kits already. Then you will be ready for more complicated PE sets. It is better to go slow and enjoy it than to dive in head first and get discouraged with it.
recceboy
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 706 posts
Armorama: 665 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 12:32 PM UTC
Jay

If you need any help with your build feel free to PM at anytime.I have lots of photos.

Cheers

Anthony
hliu24
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 04:16 PM UTC
Thx , guys, I really appreciate all your help tips/advice and offer.

... and Woo, my wife start complaining again that I spend too much time on the tank......woo woo...... "Jay, get your ass back to work"

Gino,

Thanks for your advice, I was thinking the same thing, Save the Leopard/Am PE , start the Tamiya M1a2 kit with RB Barrel/Very simple PE first......But I just love the leopard too much.....

By the way, your M1 is killing.......

Best Regards

Jay
hliu24
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 17, 2010 - 05:17 AM UTC
Got my lovely RB M1 and Lionmarc Challenger 2 barrel today, Still Search the L55 for the leopard 2, At this point nothing on the market is better than the original tamiya yet, I love the RB beautiful L44, waiting for the L55 if they are gonna make one.

Cheers
Removed by original poster on 12/17/10 - 23:22:53 (GMT).
hliu24
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 17, 2010 - 11:24 AM UTC

hliu24
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 02:46 PM UTC

the cover clasp........so hard to build, I had to take those on and off over and over, looked nasty now......unexperienced.......
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 01:30 AM UTC
Hey Jay, got your PM

As far as removing CA glue you can try some debonder, should be able to get it most good hobby shops. It will soften the glue enough so that it can be scraped off the plastic. For removing CA glue from the PE parts I just hold the parts over a flame and the glue burns right off, almost like black powder LOL. Work in a well ventilatted area, wear protective equipment, blah, blah, blah...

Just remember that you have to remove the old CA glue before trying to re-glue it as CA glue will not stick to itself very well.

cheers
hliu24
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 - 06:33 AM UTC
Thx, Rick

I tried out the flame and it is fun

Finishing the turret detail and moving to the body, scary, need study
hliu24
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 - 11:00 AM UTC

Specially Thanks to Rick and Brian, Can't make that far without help from you guys after 18 years.
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 - 02:15 PM UTC
I'm from the government and i'm here to help

cheers
hliu24
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 06:31 AM UTC

Used the glue tip from Brian, Flame tip From Rick, I did a clean Build and realize I totally over used glue when I process detail on the turret.

I am really enjoying the leopard PE kit from Alliance model works, folks building the canadian Leopard 2 a6m should consider that as well(with perfect scale/GER) , it would add so much realistic detail to the Tamiya kit. And this is my first PE work although I built tons Tamiya and Dragon plastic model out of box when I was a teenage....

I think I will use their PE for my next leclerc 2 project, now I need to focus on my leopard body rebuilding....chisel blade show time.......

jay
hliu24
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 06:52 AM UTC
Wop....Made a mistake.......

the correction from Brian " the forward grenades sit above the tray, there should be a little space under them, this probably was for wiring.. they definitely goes into the triangular mount beneath it"

I fixed it last night.....

Jay

hliu24
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 - 12:43 PM UTC
I feel like it is almost take my life.... Good learning though....First PE work......

_GOTOTOP