_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Military Police Diorama
tdykhoff
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 05:59 AM UTC
Hello all, my name is Travis and I am just getting into the model/ diorama building hobby. Don't get me wrong I have created models when I was younger but nothing to the extreme that I have witnessed on here. This hobby seems really fun and something I can really get into.

I am currently a Military Police Corp. Drill Sergeant in the U.S. Army so it made sence for my first project to have something to do with the Military Police Corps. I know the vehicles and minatures that I am going to use.

Modified to be a Military Police M1114

As you can see I am using two generations in this diorama. This concept of this project is to show the difference in the Military Police over the two different battles. I will be placing the WWII Military Police Soldiers on a road waving through the Military Police M1114. The only thing that I am having a problem with and would like your input is. The battlefields were in two terrains and it is going to be hard to capture this. Germany had vegitation and Iraq/ Afghanastan has none. So the question is. How do I arange the terrain to capture this?

I thank you for your time and any input. Glad to be here also.
melonhead
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 662 posts
Armorama: 457 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 06:03 AM UTC
iraq may not have vegetation, or very little of it rather, but afghanistan has quite a bit.
tdykhoff
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 06:05 AM UTC
Yes, you are right. The thing is nothing like Germany. Do you think a blending of the terrains in the middle would be a good concept?
melonhead
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 06:11 AM UTC
well, if you incorporate frances fields, it could replicate afghanistan. i would say blending them would look good, but to do that, it may be rough. i have an idea in my mind, but to explain it would be hard. it would best be demonstrated by an invisible timeline, if you would consider it that...a good way to show this would be making a smaller house/building that changes from 40's style europe on one side of the invisible line that runs diagonal through it, and modern day afghanistan on the other half. and then do vegetation to match the invisible line made
meaty_hellhound
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 786 posts
Armorama: 753 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 06:14 AM UTC
hi Travis, first off welcome back to the hobby.

you have a very creative project at hand and the differences in the vehicles' theatres may actually work to your benefit. here is a pic of a great diorama that won many admirers when displayed:

the model is shown in a "then and now" concept and you can see how the differences in the terrain delineate the two time periods. my suggestion is to make one half of you diorama clearly ww2 with sign posts showing the location and then the other half in arabia terrain perhaps with sign posts as well (maybe have one sign post in the middle with half the signs of one sort and the second half the other).

could be cool to embrace the idea of two different ground styles to ensure the viewer sees a marked difference and doesn't think it is an error in eras. cheers, bd.
tdykhoff
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 06:15 AM UTC
That is an outstanding idea. Way to pick a difficult project for my first.
melonhead
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 06:15 AM UTC
also to add. for this concept your going for, there needs to be something that indicates that your trying to show 2 different eras...and would have to be obvious otherwise it just looks like your using inaccurate figures/vehicles for the certain timeline....so, that is why i would do a building, fenceline, or something of the sort to show what your trying to depict....maybe even just a 4 way stop cut diagonally with roadigns. one for afghanistan and others for germany
VLADPANZER
Visit this Community
Lebanon
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 549 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 06:20 AM UTC
Hi,

If it’s on one base you can put a desert seen on one side the forest on the other. In the center you can make it look like the forest is turning into the desert (trees to twigs to sand), and since there is also a time difference you can like paint the center gray. Or if you want you don’t have to put vegetation at all. You can move from a European town into the modern Iraqi village, which might be better (from a paved road to a dirt/gravel road).
I hope I helped, it’s a nice idea. Good luck!
Regards and seasons greetings.
retiredbee2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 518 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 06:34 AM UTC
Wow, that Brumbar dio is awsome with an eerie sort of message that the old man at the museum is the soldier with the jack. The color from his face moving to the other as he relives his memory. This one kind of moves me a bit..........Al
tdykhoff
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 06:42 AM UTC
Yes that is a very moving project.
meaty_hellhound
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 786 posts
Armorama: 753 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 07:28 AM UTC
it is an outstanding piece and if you want to see more from Sven and Robert on this project here's a link on the build:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/message/1253104170/Shadows+of+the+Past+%28Sturmtiger+-+Now+and+Then%29

and one with more pics of it finished:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/thread/1253577654/Shadows+Of+The+Past+%28Sturmtiger+Now+and+Then%29+-+Finally+Done

i first saw this in Military In Scale magazine's review of a show (EuroMilitaire or Scale World i believe) where it received high praise for its concept and workmanship. cheers to them, bd.
PolishBrigade12
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 380 posts
Armorama: 366 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 07:49 AM UTC
Great concept Bruce, love the idea. I think switchin things up a bit really adds to the life of this Sport. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with in the end. Time warp is an interesting idea worth ventureing into.

Cheers, Ski.
Removed by original poster on 12/24/10 - 09:50:10 (GMT).
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 10:01 PM UTC
It's very intriguing idea, there! You might consider including a wall of some sort with a gate that the road passes through, as it makes your transition of terrain a bit easier to define. Maybe a low fieldstone wall of some sort (they sell these in model railroad shops). One side could be darker, with fungi and a bit of ivy, the other side could be sunbaked and dry, or perhaps putty it over to depict stucco or mud brick like many Mideast buildings. The two Harley motorcycles would be cool, but perhaps you could consider swapping out one of them for a Willys Jeep, as that was the definitive American vehicle of World War Two, and the direct ancestor of the Humvee, at least in function--Tamiya's is quite good. Just a thought.
Have fun with your project!

Quoted Text

Hello all, my name is Travis and I am just getting into the model/ diorama building hobby. Don't get me wrong I have created models when I was younger but nothing to the extreme that I have witnessed on here. This hobby seems really fun and something I can really get into.

I am currently a Military Police Corp. Drill Sergeant in the U.S. Army so it made sence for my first project to have something to do with the Military Police Corps. I know the vehicles and minatures that I am going to use.

Modified to be a Military Police M1114

As you can see I am using two generations in this diorama. This concept of this project is to show the difference in the Military Police over the two different battles. I will be placing the WWII Military Police Soldiers on a road waving through the Military Police M1114. The only thing that I am having a problem with and would like your input is. The battlefields were in two terrains and it is going to be hard to capture this. Germany had vegitation and Iraq/ Afghanastan has none. So the question is. How do I arange the terrain to capture this?

I thank you for your time and any input. Glad to be here also.

CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 10:48 PM UTC
Use the road as the break between the two terrain types, as this will also make your life easier and keep things clean.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 11:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

it is an outstanding piece and if you want to see more from Sven and Robert on this project here's a link on the build:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/message/1253104170/Shadows+of+the+Past+%28Sturmtiger+-+Now+and+Then%29

and one with more pics of it finished:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/thread/1253577654/Shadows+Of+The+Past+%28Sturmtiger+Now+and+Then%29+-+Finally+Done

i first saw this in Military In Scale magazine's review of a show (EuroMilitaire or Scale World i believe) where it received high praise for its concept and workmanship. cheers to them, bd.

Me too I've seen that stunning Dio on an italian modeller magazine.
In my opinion the most interesting thing about it is that the "past side" is painted in Black and White (to be exact with a lot of gray shades). This was made to render the idea of an old photo...absolutely great!
tdykhoff
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Monday, December 27, 2010 - 05:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's very intriguing idea, there! You might consider including a wall of some sort with a gate that the road passes through, as it makes your transition of terrain a bit easier to define. Maybe a low fieldstone wall of some sort (they sell these in model railroad shops). One side could be darker, with fungi and a bit of ivy, the other side could be sunbaked and dry, or perhaps putty it over to depict stucco or mud brick like many Mideast buildings. The two Harley motorcycles would be cool, but perhaps you could consider swapping out one of them for a Willys Jeep, as that was the definitive American vehicle of World War Two, and the direct ancestor of the Humvee, at least in function--Tamiya's is quite good. Just a thought.
Have fun with your project!

Have any ideas of a good 1/35 Military Police Willy?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 12:18 PM UTC
The Tamiya Willys kit below contains MP decals and is a great kit out of the box.

vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 01:17 PM UTC
This is a great concept Travis. I believe that a clear delineation between terrain will play to your success, and the idea of an object between the two eras such as a sign or building would greatly help as well. The Jeep would be a good addition as well, and you should be able to reasonably fit both the motorcycles and the Jeep in roughly the same area of the M1114, the result being a nice balance between the two halves of the diorama.
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 12:48 PM UTC
Hi Travis,
Greetings from a former Military Policeman (110th MP Co., Germany). This seems like a very cool concept. Good luck.

Jeff
 _GOTOTOP