Hosted by Darren Baker
Red Rain
VLADPANZER
Visit this Community
Lebanon
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 549 posts
Posted: Monday, September 05, 2011 - 11:48 PM UTC

Incredible, just so perfect!!! Really can’t wait to see the base with the troops!

Regards,
Herr_Alvaro
Visit this Community
Cordoba, Argentina
KitMaker: 13 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2011 - 11:42 AM UTC
man... your work is incredible, some of your pics look real. I cant wait to see your work done.
best regards
wightlion
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 11 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2011 - 06:15 PM UTC
This creation is absolutely superb !!!
Sciappapetre
Visit this Community
Italy
KitMaker: 7 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2011 - 04:57 AM UTC
Stunning work! A masterpiece in the making.
tommy1drop
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 131 posts
Armorama: 116 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2011 - 08:50 AM UTC
Fantastic work, the detail is amazing, its never ending.

Tom
meaty_hellhound
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 786 posts
Armorama: 753 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2011 - 10:37 AM UTC
thanks so very much for all the wonderful and kind words on this project.

here's an update from all the work i've been putting in on this diorama since last weeks long weekend...

the above pic shows the diorama after the rubble has been added, which is glued down using diluted white glue, and given the once over with Mig pigments (which took 6 hours of application just for pigments as i just had so much fun doing it i just didn't really want to say i was done).

i detailed around the manhole using oil washes after the pigments were applied to give that area a "wet" look, not sure if many people have tried applying washes over pigments but it has its place within the toolbox of techniques for me.

i had the image of Bev Doolittle's paintings when working on the snow portion of this project. i knew that if i just had all the bare rubble this diorama would be a visual busybee but by breaking up the debris with stark white areas it would make a fun look... here's a quick pic of the vehicles getting staged:

next update will likely be the finished project with many pictures as i am very near completion. i will have a bit of issues taking the final photos as this piece is quite huge... may just shoot the pics outside.

nearly finished? what? it's only been 8 months since i started... it went by so quickly. cheers for now, bd.

UrbanProtocol
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2011 - 11:44 AM UTC
Bloody brilliant mate. Unfortunately your build has inspired my current diorama. Damn you! My bedroom is now full of cork.
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 1,646 posts
Armorama: 1,557 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2011 - 08:57 PM UTC
Wow Bruce, it gets better all the time, and it started out fantastic!! I like how proportionate the rubble is to the building, both for quantity and material variation. This, with the excellent detail of the tools, furniture and building combine for a very believable image. Your outstanding attention to detail makes this practically "photo-realistic." Thanks for sharing.

Happy Modelling, -zon
meaty_hellhound
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 01:25 PM UTC
Red Rain ~ a Diorama

completed...

i would like to thank all those who came by to visit the progress on this project and especially those who posted comments whose input and discussions helped make this on of the most delightful blogs i have ever participated in.

the idea behind this project was to inject some drama into my scenes as well as to try to improve my skills on all fronts. some of these succeeded more than others but i had so much fun in each attempt.

now that this one is done i look forward to the next project... perhaps a modern theme.

comments are welcomed as always.

cheers, bruce d

Big-John
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 731 posts
Armorama: 711 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 01:42 PM UTC
Bruce,

I am truly speechless. This is so awl inspiring! You did a fantastic job on this. The brick work on the building is so impressive! Not to mention the weathering on the tanks. This sir is a masterpiece!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have followed this build from day one and have enjoyed watching it come to life.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 01:44 PM UTC
Brilliant work Bruce. Every little detail works together. I like the Soviet figure (Doug's original?) outside as well
PolishBrigade12
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 380 posts
Armorama: 366 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 06:26 PM UTC
Great action, detail and overall compostition. Waht a great dio, looks like a movie set. Bravo!

Cheers, Ski.
VLADPANZER
Visit this Community
Lebanon
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 549 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 06:33 PM UTC
Just wonderful, it is just so well executed! You can literally feel it happening!!! You deserve a medal! Looking forward for your next masterpiece (as usual)!

Regards,
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 07:35 PM UTC
That's simply GREAT!

Your job is very inspiring. I think I'll try to do a dio set in a wrecked factory, maybe the STZ Tractor factory in Staligrad

Thanks a million to have shared your project Bruce

Cheers
campbellbart
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 121 posts
Armorama: 119 posts
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2011 - 12:03 AM UTC
Really nice work. The building is just amazing. Every thing looks great....I love the action and the way you've made the feeling of motion.

Look forward to you next diorama.

Bart
Klinker
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
KitMaker: 369 posts
Armorama: 352 posts
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2011 - 12:13 AM UTC
Amazing stuff, love the T34 charging through the brick wall, any chance of some B&W images I reckon they'd look almost like news-real!
stansmith
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 611 posts
Armorama: 584 posts
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2011 - 05:53 AM UTC
truly fantastic bruce, always love your dios! those germans know that there screwed. really great composition and drama!
didn't seem like 8 months ago i was looking at the first images of this.
:)
callmehobbes
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2011 - 05:55 AM UTC
Wow - I love the level of detail. Brilliant stuff. Thanks for letting us see this, truly inspiring!
meaty_hellhound
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2011 - 01:17 PM UTC
thanks everyone, you guys are so supportive and generous with your kind comments.

Exer is correct, as usual, to have spotted a Doug's Original figure as the lone soviet against the wall.

the T34 busting through the brick wall was always part of the plan but was the very last thing i finished for this project. funny thing is when i glued one brick on the tank front all askew i thought "that looks lame" and when i had glued on four more i thought "that looks ridiculous."

i said to myself "well, you're either stopping here or going all in because gluing any more bricks is going to mess the tank up badly." so i hummed and hawed and said, "let's see where this goes."

after more bricks were added and some rubble then some dust and then some pigments and then some washes and then some more pigments... i sat back and said "hey, that doesn't look too bad."

even at the very end i had to try something new and didn't care if it was a success or failure as long as i tried my best. for me, it's all about learning and the discussions that learning can generate and maybe inspire.

there's a model show tomorrow and i'm going to bring this little project as an entree. i usually don't do well at local shows but i usually place somewhere in the awards. i like going mostly to meet fellow modelers and see projects first hand. i'd enter as "display only" but because my dioramas are large they may not have room for them if they are not award entrees.

thanks again for checking up on the project. cheers for now, bruce d.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2011 - 04:47 PM UTC
Ahh, it's like coming to the end of a real good book. We await your sequel. It's been fun and informative watching this come together Bruce. Best of luck at the show.
tommy1drop
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 131 posts
Armorama: 116 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2011 - 12:19 AM UTC
I have been following this looking forward to seeing the end result, and i have to say its fantastic, the detail work is truly amazing and the end result is a master piece..........amazing work.

Tom
UrbanProtocol
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2011 - 05:28 AM UTC
superb, absolute top work
meaty_hellhound
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2011 - 01:53 PM UTC
thanks once more for the great feedback. glad you enjoyed the wild ride.

at the model show i got to meet people who had followed the build blog and had their input from seeing Red Rain in person. it was a real pleasure to meet so many great modelers and to see all the fantastic work that was entered in this regional show.

i did quite well this time in the awards but even better in the great modelers i got to meet and chat about this hobby we torture ourselves with.

cheers to one and all, bruce d
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2011 - 02:53 PM UTC
Fantastic Bruce!
I have only just gotten back into things hobby related including forums, so have missed this one progress. There have been many scenes similar to yours in the past, but yours has that certain something special. Each section has been meticulously finished for sure. Modelling a dynamic scene is one of the trickiest things to do convincingly, but you have collared it
Great stuff
Brad
Adamskii
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 537 posts
Armorama: 474 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2011 - 04:00 PM UTC
Exquisite proper diorama stuff this.. jolly good show!

I love how you took your time with this one and how the interiors of the buildings are shown off - something often lost. I actually didnt realise the back of the buildings was the front of the diorama and wondered how your composition was going to show it off. very well crafted. I also like the King Tiger has its back to the Audience, most would of had it face on, but that quirk adds to the whole drama so really like that.

Another diorama that novice 's can learn much from.

Congratualtions.

Adam