_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Hometown Hero's Campaign Idea?
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 725 posts
Armorama: 340 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 - 03:44 PM UTC
I'm just thowing this out there to see what the intrest is and if anyone really wants to take the lead on this and do it better than I can...

I have done a few models for friends whom I've looked up to and tried to create a model or dio of what they did in the service.

One was the man responsible for getting me to join the Marine Corps. He was a purple heart recipiant and a survivor of the Chosin Resivoir in Korea. I sat and listened to him talk and created a dio to show his family that didn't really know just what it was like for him in the war. It brought tears to his eyes when he saw it and he took it to many Marine Corps League and Chosin Few functions. After losing his battle with ALS it still sits on his mantle for friends and family to remember him by.

The other one was my own grandfather. Confined to a hospital bed and very slowed down mentally by a series of strokes, he immediately and loudly proclaimed "My Ship!!!" when I presented him with a waterline of his LST from WWII this Christmas (Special thanks to all on Model Shipwrights! Without your advice I couldn't have done it!) We all cried...

So to the point. What about a campaign where we build whatever, whatever scale, whatever subject so long as it incorporates someone we know who served in the military in any timeframe as long as they are still alive and present it to them as a show of our thanks, and respect.

In my mind the point is to first thank them for thier sacrifice, but to also learn and appreciate what they actually did in the service. What it was like for them on a day to day basis? What are the things they most remembered?

I don't know what do you think?

Hellbent
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,662 posts
Armorama: 3,078 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 - 04:26 PM UTC
A good friend of mine served in Army during Vietnam and every time he has a little scotch with me he tells me a story of how he was awarded his Bronze Star. I wanted to build a vignette depicting his tail for the Trouble in Southeast Asia Campaign that is set to start in August but I was unable to find 1/35 scale figures that would be appropriate. However I am still looking But that would be the only story I would depict
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2011 - 04:32 PM UTC
Would you be opening this campaign to land and sea as well?
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 725 posts
Armorama: 340 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 05:07 PM UTC
I think that it should be open to land, sea, air anything across the network that fits in to honoring those that served. I also would like to see across different nationalities as well....

I know that this can be similar to other campaigns but where it seperates itself is the piece would be for an individual veteran.

What I mean my modelling anything could be something like a few scenario's I've heard from some buddies...

Playing baseball at an abandoned Luftwaffe field with a stripped Me-262 serving as the dugout (I've actually seen the picture!)

Working in an engine shop for bombers and testing the engines sometimes spinning them apart into flying shapnel and everyone scrambling for cover

Cooking eggs and drying laundry on the exhaust on and M9 ACE in Iraq

Making illegal ice cream on board ship in WWII PTO

Just stuff like that from guys' memories.

Hellbent
 _GOTOTOP