_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Willy's 1/35 Tamiya build.
Londonsmee
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14 posts
Armorama: 13 posts
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2011 - 02:36 AM UTC
Hi all first realy build post. Started building a Tamiya 1/35 willys jeep and thought would post some shoots of how its going.

As you can see going with Tamiya model, with added Eduard PE kit and Resicast front axis.

Lower chasis done changed teh rear bummber and they look nice, not going over the top wth the chasis because most of its not going to be seen. Dunno if thats a good way to look at it but fits nice to the body and happy with the position of the Resicast axis.

Put most of the internal of the body on, have a small game with the radio, think will just try a CA fill with that to cover it. Happy with the rear PE pieces think they look great compared to the standard.

Sorted the foot peddles and plates and have to say they are a pain to do but like how they look.

Filed down the rear canopy poles and fitted the straps, they seem long but like the dangling look.

added detail to the rear of the back seats looks nice, happy with the folds.

Front radiator done, added the front lens, thought would be a big pain to do it once fitted.

With the front dash , filed down the detail and took out the glove compartment section, made a rough box for the inside of the glove compartment. Decided that would have it open so put a custom door holder. Have seen image of it being on the short side but thought looks good so gone with it.

Slight mistake put on dials on the back without painting first, think that's going to be a pain to mask .

Generally happy with the progress

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Second upload

wheels sorted edges clean, boring job sorted.

Seat put together nice fitting nothing special

Oh what a pain this has been for doing the canvas poles, I think it would have been easier to just have got some wire and used instead of the plastic. Taken ages to clean down and then replace with the PE. It does look better than plastic that was there but hard slog for that. But its done now. Didn't help I broke one of the PE brackets and had to glue that back together, thanks for CA . but moves on another step.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Third upload

Well been a while since update, with half term and colds. Did have some more pictures of jeep but missus took the camera, so only have these ones at hand. Have put them into one to save some time

As you can see have removed the guys belt and turned the jacket into a more civilian jacket, made holes in the helmet around the ears and formed headphones, to emphasise the effect added a strap over the helmet.. Removed the hand and rotated it from the normal position of being down so can put something in it. Covered the leg gatters so now has long lenght trouses.

Needed something for him to sit on so made a bench, thought about making a directors chair but needed something for his arm to rest on. Think it looks ok.

With the jeep have to finish the windscreen and should be ready for some primer. photo's to follow.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Third update,

Well moving on a stage, have sprayed the Jeep and happy with the base colour same with the wheels first time using the vinyl masks, they are so nice to use.

Now the problem, when taking the window off the spruce the plastic snapped this left me in the situation of having no window for one side so instead of scraping the project I decided to go along with it. I think it gives it some character so could be worse.

The spraying of the windows with the masks was a fun, if not a painstaking task but I like the window wiped look with the PE wipers. You may have noticed no gun rack as this is going to be an unarmed Jeep.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fourth Update

Well found the lead for the camera, so here's up to date shoots.

Not sure what colour the buckles will be so going to go for a brass colour pls correct me if I'm wrong.

As you can see i have painted the base of the man and seats and tyres generally ok with the look, will have another look after the school holiday. have to tone down the nails on the guy. Went with brushing the seat covers to get a more textured like effect. not sure if it worked.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fifth update

Well decided that didn't like the head so took it off for a nice hornet head think it looks much better. so much more detail. Have done some of the base painting of the skin.

Final did some of the decal that i was after and placed some of the first ones. Not to happy with the clear ones and hoping that they will vanish a bit more. The white backed ones look cracking. Starting to look so much better.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sixth update

Preparing some of the base items , have done an armature on the left and 2 small sign posts my favourite is the one on the left have put small securing rings on the back and they look nice.

Have done some experimenting with static grass and it it looks great standing up . did a comparison without the static and quite standing results

Redid the decals and seem better not happy with the clear background ones but will have to live with it. Did some muddling up of the wheel arch's and feels better. put an antenna on painted reflectors which look nice. and dusted the inside. Just have to give a light coat tomorrow.

Finally update

Well surprised no feedback have finished link here.

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=230891
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2011 - 03:50 AM UTC
Looks very nice. You've done good work with the etch set.
Painkiller
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 21 posts
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2011 - 05:16 AM UTC
it's coming a long nice!
Londonsmee
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2011 - 05:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks very nice. You've done good work with the etch set.

thanks, feels really small dunno how people do smaller scale. Just love the PE kits for the detail that models get.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2011 - 05:23 AM UTC
Hi Peter,

Off to a great start, there is a lot of fun in the Tamiya kit, builds up very nicely.

Al
Londonsmee
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 11:02 PM UTC
updated first post.
jashby
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 278 posts
Armorama: 248 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 02:25 AM UTC
Thanks Peter. Perfect timing as I'll be building the same model once I have my Sherman done. Just having trouble locating the Eduard PE set here in Australia. I have ordered a Verlinden recon car set from the States which is for the Italeri kit but I'm hoping I'll be able to use it still.
Look forward to more progress updates.
Cheers, John
Londonsmee
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 04:53 AM UTC
hey jashby, best of luck with yours sounds like a mix match hell/fun.

Did find this supplier which was going to order from but they are in Hong Kong which I would think would be closer for you.

http://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/data/u1xpwodqe19sw7cfd2ji.html
Londonsmee
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2011 - 08:39 PM UTC
Added a new bit of addition to the driver.
jashby
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 278 posts
Armorama: 248 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 03:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Did find this supplier which was going to order from but they are in Hong Kong which I would think would be closer for you.

Thanks Peter,

Took your advice and got the Voyager set from HK which didn't take very long at all. It's a very nice set with the PE being excellent to work with so far and my jeep is coming on nicely. Mixing and matching the Verlinden set in is a challenge but it is helping especially with the engine. Don't know why I'm bothering because the bonnet will be down but.

Cheers, John
Londonsmee
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 07:00 PM UTC
glad to hear your starting to have fun with it. I'm not that much of a purest and only put on what's being seen. Think that saving other bits for maybe other models.

Thought that Voyager kit looked nice. Look forward to seeing some picc's
jeepman
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 22 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 - 03:50 PM UTC
A couple points on your build.The fire extinguishers on jeeps were either brass or olive drab never red. Also your foot pedals are vertical .The longer part of the rectangular pedal should be horizontal.The glove box door has no retaining bar.When open it hangs straight down.Not nitpicking like your build but I am in my second year of restoring a full size 1943 Willys MB and thought you should know.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 06:02 AM UTC
I'm currently building the Minor etch set for the jeep for review here. It really fixes up the bottom and rear. I'll have to get something for the inside now to make it all match.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 - 01:14 PM UTC
To paint the dials, I would suggest masking with sculpy or similar putty.
Londonsmee
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 03:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A couple points on your build.The fire extinguishers on jeeps were either brass or olive drab never red. Also your foot pedals are vertical .The longer part of the rectangular pedal should be horizontal.The glove box door has no retaining bar.When open it hangs straight down.Not nitpicking like your build but I am in my second year of restoring a full size 1943 Willys MB and thought you should know.

cheers have sprayed the extinguisher now, and removed the strap, not going to risk changing the pedals now they are in place.

Londonsmee
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 03:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

To paint the dials, I would suggest masking with sculpy or similar putty.

went with blue tack in the end and worked like a charm
Londonsmee
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2011 - 03:48 AM UTC
updated:))
 _GOTOTOP