Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Bronco M1114 build review
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2011 - 08:01 AM UTC
Mario, if you look at this picture here:

The hatch supports that Frank is on about are the two rods which are holding up the hatch. Bronco has molded these folded away, but in most cases if the hatch is open these will be folded out and clipped in place to the turret ring. On my kit i just chiseled them off with a micro chisel and made new ones from scale rod.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2011 - 09:29 AM UTC
I think both Legend and MIG conversions have the hatch supports extended, so you might want to check out these to see how the hatch supports look when extended:

Mario
Mario_HR
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 376 posts
Armorama: 303 posts
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2011 - 08:47 AM UTC
I'll start off with an apology since this build was neglected for a week or so. The reason is my airbrush is busted and I have to abuse my friends to let me use their equipment and unfortunately this can not be done on a daily basis so it slowed me down. I'm waiting for a new brush and in the meantime I'm slowly making progress.

Thanks to Rob and Maki I've decided to scrape off the molded hatch supports and will be making a new one. Unfortunately I don't have one of those micro-chisels yet, so Ive made a bit of a mess on the hatch, so I just filled the holes with some styrene as shown in the picture below

I did some painting of the interior - The padding on the roof is done as well as the door interiors. I still need to do some detail painting and they will be done, the rubber door seals and the metallic braces thingies

I've also painted the radio rack, M4's and the AT-4 but as they are still drying, just one pic of the launcher. It's painted with gunze's OD 2 color, but in the photo it came way darker than it is. It looks a bit thin doesn't it?

I found 2 nasty lines (I guess machining marks on the mold itself) that needed to be gone and I didn't see it before. Watch out for these!

and here's one for today's update end, just a dry-fit of doors with the body. I hope the fit on the upper edge of the doors won't be a problem.

SHarjacek
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 977 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2011 - 07:01 AM UTC
Amazing Mario.
Mario_HR
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2011 - 07:23 AM UTC
Thanks Sven.
I'm doing small paint tasks but I won't have anything for update until mid-week when I'll get some brush time. Hopefully things will roll a bit faster from now on
Mario_HR
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 03:10 AM UTC
Well, I went MIA for a while. General construction is done, but since I don't have any access to a brush/compressor for a while this is taking much longer than it should. some painting remains to be done and a overall gloss cote applied, but I'm almost there.

Here's a few pics to get started:
the interior will be done OOB, just add a few wires. I will be adding the decal for the FCB but I'm not too happy with the one provided. I'd rather make one myself but I can wait to see what needs to be done

This is not so prominent like the pics, but in macro you can see just about everything

I added the proximity warning board, and decided to build the mud flaps visible on some m1114's. I also added the missing bolts by slicing off some stretched sprue. Does this look good?

Also I've done some weathering on the rear spare tire, by using oil paints. I'll be doing this more as I like the effect.

Here's how it looks now

Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 07:45 AM UTC
Looking good as far as I can tell... I'm surprised to see so few comments on this build as there were many modelers interested in Bronco Humvee highs and lows when it was released.

I'm interested in the fit of the roof to the chassis; it seems there are some gaps? Also, can you explain the technique for making colored lights on the model?

Mario
Youngun
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 587 posts
Armorama: 550 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 02:15 PM UTC
An excelent build, I just recieved mine in the mail and i will be using your build as a refrence point for mine
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 03:54 PM UTC
Zdravo-
It's looking good. ONe small criticism-you've got way too much silver around the reflectors. Can't wait to see it finished.

Neulingkerl
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
KitMaker: 65 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 08:16 PM UTC
This is a terrific build, I've been following it closely as I build my 1114. I don't think I've seen a build yet that shows the interior so clearly, and I love the two-tone thing with the green metal/gray pads. Everyone else just seems to slap green all over everywhere and call it 'close enough'

I'm also looking forward to seeing this build finished. Out of curiosity, the picture Rob just posted shows the rear bumper as black, just with enough caked on dirt and dust to make it blend in with the tan. Do all vehicles in the field have black bumpers that are just too dirty to tell otherwise?
F3066
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 71 posts
Armorama: 55 posts
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 - 10:11 PM UTC
this looks like a neat build, there does'nt seem to be to much wrong as far as build and fit issues ,mmm might have to get one ,look forward to seeing more
Mario_HR
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2011 - 01:51 AM UTC
Hi guys thanks for the comments. I know about the reflectors, it's excess foil I used as backing for the transparent red. I'll remove it asap. Here's some more. This is nearing completion and now I need to fit the doors and the roof.
I'm using Echelon Decal's marking for a A-stan vehicle A55 (looks a bit like a** to me )

It's a bit shame Bronco didn't update the M4's with their kit. Some optics would have been nice.

Interior is almost done

Thanks for your help guys
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 953 posts
Armorama: 705 posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2011 - 09:06 AM UTC
Looking good so far Mario.......
didgeboy
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,846 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2011 - 10:48 AM UTC
Mario;
Nice work, almost makes me want to go out and buy one of these. And that is saying something for a CDAT* like me. Cheers.

CDAT=Computerized Dumb A$$ Tanker
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,794 posts
Armorama: 1,431 posts
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2011 - 03:53 PM UTC
Amazing model!!! Really got to get me one of these!

Rob
cdharwins
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 491 posts
Armorama: 462 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 05:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Amazing model!!! Really got to get me one of these!

Rob

Me too!!!

Great work, Mario!

Chris
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 1,646 posts
Armorama: 1,557 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 09:27 AM UTC
Mario: Wow. Excellent build! the TP is a nice touch. Also, FYI, Trumpeter makes some M4's with optics and other accessories for fairly cheap.

Happy Modelling, -zon
Mario_HR
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2011 - 01:08 AM UTC
Hey guys, sorry for this long period with out updates, life got somewhat in the way.
I'm building a small base for this guy, and I've made it from scratch. Cut up an old picture frame, added some styrene sheet and few items from accurate armor's refuse set. Hopefully I'll have some figures to go along, but that's stretching a bit. here's a small update

Anirudharun
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 597 posts
Armorama: 530 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2011 - 05:26 AM UTC
Great work Mario, this was an excellent build! Definitely helped me make my mind up about getting the Bronco kit.

The base looks good as well, but I think the Accurate Armour garbage bags look a bit too shiny. Perhaps a satin coat would take away some of the sheen

If you're still considering a figure, Legends K9 handler would look really good next to this vehicle.

Anirudh
fhvn4d
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 564 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2011 - 05:13 AM UTC
Looks fantastic right there!!! I rode in one of these in 09, and you got it pretty good here! We didnt have the IR panels, and we had the DUKE system but otherwise its on!
Mario_HR
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 03:17 AM UTC
Thanks Brian and the rest of you guys. Here's a sneak preview - it should be done by the end of the week

JustinWhitmer
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 03:35 AM UTC
Hey this looks fantastic! I have one in the box and am just waiting to finish my current one before I start this. The only small criticism I have is the crow on the side of the body. From my memory Iraq '06 the only vehicles that had that marking were ones that had the CROW unmanned gun system. If you are going for complete authenticity you may want to research it some more. Otherwise it looks great!
Mario_HR
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 04:02 AM UTC
Thanks Justin, I'm afraid I didn't use much references for the markings. The entire decal set is from Echelon's decal sheet HUMVEEs in Operation Iraqi Freedom,Operation Enduring Freedom (Part 1)

The specific markings are for:

M1114 1SG's vehicle, A Company, 1 Battalion 325 PIR, 82nd ABN Falcon BDE, OEF Afghanistan, 2005

and I think the bird is a falcon not a crow

I found it hard to find any pics on the net of this vehicle so you might be right afterall
Neulingkerl
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
KitMaker: 65 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 05:20 PM UTC
Makes sense, a crow emblem on a CROW equipped vehicle...looks cool though regardless...
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 04:24 PM UTC
Minor inaccuracies or not, this came out really nice Mario. The base really helps set the reviewed kit off. It's been a joy to watch this review in action from the sidelines