_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Sherman MG mount
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 1,654 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 01:35 AM UTC
As you can see by the number of posts on this subject by me,this kit is being a little bit stubborn!The kit is Dragons M4A1 76 MM W Sherman.Where does the MG on the turret go?I know it's somewhere around the hatchs,but the inst.are not very clear.The base piece has a stud on it that looks like it should fit in a hole.But surprize! There is no hole . I can drill a hole,I have no problem doing that,I just need to know where.Thanks.J.T. Oh yeah,That little stamping behind the hatch openings with all the letters and numbers in it,does that need to go?Thanks again.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 01:48 AM UTC
The M4A1 76(w) could have its .50MG in several places. If the turret had a split loader's hatch, there was provision for a MG pintle as part of that hatch ring. Otherwise, there is a square base roughly in the center of the roof which holds a pintle base where the MG would be mounted. Different units and crews had their preferences. Some tanks had field added MG mounts which could allow the tank commander to fire an MG or the loader to fire one. Sometimes, mounts for .30cals were added too.

Look for a period photo and go with that.

The stamping on the roof is their attempt to replicate casting symbols found on most parts. Leave it there.
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 01:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

As you can see by the number of posts on this subject by me,this kit is being a little bit stubborn!The kit is Dragons M4A1 76 MM W Sherman.Where does the MG on the turret go?I know it's somewhere around the hatchs,but the inst.are not very clear.The base piece has a stud on it that looks like it should fit in a hole.But surprize! There is no hole . I can drill a hole,I have no problem doing that,I just need to know where.Thanks.J.T. Oh yeah,That little stamping behind the hatch openings with all the letters and numbers in it,does that need to go?Thanks again.

Boy, do I feel dumb.Does the MG mount on the hatch cover ring?part #H6? Can't beleive I missed that.Just call me Homer!
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 01:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The M4A1 76(w) could have its .50MG in several places. If the turret had a split loader's hatch, there was provision for a MG pintle as part of that hatch ring. Otherwise, there is a square base roughly in the center of the roof which holds a pintle base where the MG would be mounted. Different units and crews had their preferences. Some tanks had field added MG mounts which could allow the tank commander to fire an MG or the loader to fire one. Sometimes, mounts for .30cals were added too.

Look for a period photo and go with that. As you can see by my reply to my own question ,I think I got it.But the kit did come with a .30 cal also.Mount both just for fun or stick with the .50?

The stamping on the roof is their attempt to replicate casting symbols found on most parts. Leave it there.

imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 02:11 AM UTC
Don't Know what happened to my reply,so i'll do it again.I think I got It..50 cal should mount to part#H6.I must of had a brain cramp.Kit did come w/.30 cal. also.Mount that to just for fun,or just go with the .50?Sorry for the mix up.J.T.
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 683 posts
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 03:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Don't Know what happened to my reply,so i'll do it again.I think I got It..50 cal should mount to part#H6.I must of had a brain cramp.Kit did come w/.30 cal. also.Mount that to just for fun,or just go with the .50?Sorry for the mix up.J.T.

By 1944 most crews appreciated the firepower of the fifty over the thirty. Typically if you see a thirty on a Sherman turret this late in the war its in addition to a fifty.
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 03:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

By 1944 most crews appreciated the firepower of the fifty over the thirty. Typically if you see a thirty on a Sherman turret this late in the war its in addition to a fifty.

O.K.,So both guns mounted did happen once and awhile? Where would the .30 go?Crews choice?
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 683 posts
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 04:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

O.K.,So both guns mounted did happen once and awhile? Where would the .30 go?Crews choice?

Standard is a single fifty except for a short period in 43 when the war department tried to replace it with the thirty (crew objections brought the fifty back.) Thirties and fifties become more common as the war progresses but are never policy, its always a crew thing, nor are they ever the most common. Typically the thirty would be in front of the commander and the fifty in front of the loader, but as it wasn't regulation there is no hard and fast rule.
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 04:52 AM UTC
Thank you for that answer.have not really desided if I will put both MGs on or just go with the .50.It's good to know that it did happen every now and then.Thanks again for your timeJ.T.
 _GOTOTOP