Hosted by Darren Baker
Whats a good 1:48 Tamiya starter kit?
ModelBuildingTanks
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 146 posts
Armorama: 143 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 11:13 AM UTC
Title says all. I'm an experienced 1:35 model kit builder, but I'd like to build some 1:48 scale kits for a change. I think they're detailed as well as small enough to fit in my cabinet, but large enough to be noticed. I'm new to this, so what would somebody who has built any Tamiya 1:48th kits before recommend?

Thanks!

Alex J.
MrPurser
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 41 posts
Armorama: 41 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 11:37 AM UTC
Hi Alex
If u wanna built any tamiya AFV , you must real tamiya ones.Some moulds doesnt belongs to tamiya so you have to be carefull about that.Italeri and ICM sharing their own moulds for Tamiya.(Actually they sending only products to make boxed by Tamiya).
I can advise to you Tamiya's Panzer 3 , 4.good for starting.From Allied wehicles Sherman and Russian T-34 good for starting.As u say , an experienced modeller like you doesnt have any diffuculties...
ModelBuildingTanks
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 11:44 AM UTC
Thank you for the reply! What about something like the Hetzer?
MrPurser
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 41 posts
Armorama: 41 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 11:48 AM UTC
Hehe I forgot it completely.Hetzer is easiest oneI believe .Get fit upper and lower chasee and put a pipe to nose , here is Hetzer
by the way Tamiya released new Pz.Kpw. 2 in 48th scale may be you can try also that
Thx
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 11:52 AM UTC
The Hetzer is a good kit in 1/48 but it is tiny and that hard edge camo ambush camo pattern could be challenging on a kit that small,but if your confident in your skills,go for it.

My favorite Tamiya 1/48 is the Jagdpanther and the new Jagdtiger,also the mark III

Have fun
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 12:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The Hetzer indeed is the best one to start with, I would go with the Jagdpanther second.

If you're good with painting I wouldn't worry about the color scheme options for the Hetzer. One of them is hard edge without the little triangular shaped specks of the ambush scheme, plus it has the way cool red numbers on the side

Their Shermans are also straightforward, the M4, M4A1, and Firefly would all be great choices to start with. I would Imagine the Panther would fall in with them as well, but I have yet to lay my hands on one.

Would love to see a build log of whatever you go with
ModelBuildingTanks
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 12:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The Hetzer indeed is the best one to start with, I would go with the Jagdpanther second.

If you're good with painting I wouldn't worry about the color scheme options for the Hetzer. One of them is hard edge without the little triangular shaped specks of the ambush scheme, plus it has the way cool red numbers on the side

Their Shermans are also straightforward, the M4, M4A1, and Firefly would all be great choices to start with. I would Imagine the Panther would fall in with them as well, but I have yet to lay my hands on one.

Would love to see a build log of whatever you go with

Thanks! Whatever I get, I'll likely put a build log with it. I'm looking at the Hetzer and the Sherman (early production model) right now.

Thanks!

Alex J.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 04:00 PM UTC
Sweet, great choices, rock on Alex!
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,394 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 04:29 PM UTC
Hi, gotta join this one. I also would say for OOTB the Panzer IIIN or L kit, Humvee, KV-2. Check out the gallerys at Track48.com and onefortyeight.com to get some ideas too. Have a good build
ModelBuildingTanks
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 06:05 PM UTC
Hey Greg, thanks for the site link! Very helpful in planning a good tank build! I cant imagine mine'll turn out like that, but considering I have a lot of time to burn, it will probably be spent on working on that model.
Silantra
Visit this Community
Putrajaya, Malaysia
KitMaker: 2,511 posts
Armorama: 913 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 07:16 PM UTC
i would recommend tamiya hetzer..... the easiest with less part to worries... fitting is superb...

matter of fact, it's my first 1/48 armour....simply love it

one of the old shot
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2011 - 07:25 PM UTC
Lol, if you haven't noticed by now you really can't go wrong with the Tamiya kits for quarter scale. Greg's right, those are all really nice kits. The Panzer III is really sweet because there are a lot of conversions and accessories you can deck them out with, just check out the offerings from Track48, but it is probably the most complicated of the Tamiya offerings.

One thing I forgot to share with you is that the Tamiya Shermans will all need some card added to the undersides of the sponsons. For whatever reason Tamiya still hasn't felt the need to fill in this area

Zaidi: I agree with you, I think the Hetzer is the easiest too. Nice job on your build, I'm working on the same one myself
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 01, 2011 - 03:43 PM UTC
Opps, forgot to mention a lot of people love the Crusader tank, but it's one I haven't tried yet (but it's in the stash )
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, April 01, 2011 - 05:44 PM UTC
Another one I need to add to my stash! I'm really becoming addicted to these things, lol. It's a slow process, but I'll match your 1/48 collection someday Greg
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2011 - 03:26 AM UTC
I'm surprised no one mentioned the Tamiya M26 Pershing tank. It is a nice kit that can be built up and finished in a weekend. I bought a couple; one I plan on trying to update into a Korean War era Pershing, the other is OOB in its actual WW2 look.

It's probably the easiest of the 1/48 scale Tamiya "tank" kits to build. Maybe tied with their T-34, but bigger is often easeir to work with.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2011 - 03:54 AM UTC
Since you are an experienced modeler some of the over simplifications, and especially the die-cast (metal) lower hull, might put you off. But with careful painting, P/E, and resin after market, some amazing results can be achieved. If you don't mind a kit with lots of parts Hobby Boss makes a very good series of T-34's (full interior- transmission, fighting compartment, and engine).
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2011 - 04:39 AM UTC
Tamiya's latest kits don't have metall hulls. So far thats's the Jagdtiger, Marders, Panzer 2, and about all the softskins. Usually most tank hulls aren't visible with the tracks in place. The hulls do include the visible details for the scale. HTH
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2011 - 05:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Tamiya's latest kits don't have metall hulls. So far thats's the Jagdtiger, Marders, Panzer 2, and about all the softskins. Usually most tank hulls aren't visible with the tracks in place. The hulls do include the visible details for the scale. HTH

Ditto, the only hulls that have bugged me are the Sherman hulls, which you just need to add some bolt heads too and you'll be good to go

Quoted Text

If you don't mind a kit with lots of parts Hobby Boss makes a very good series of T-34's (full interior- transmission, fighting compartment, and engine).

Those kits are really nice, not sure on the fit though as I haven't put one together yet, but AFAIK they are scaled down from their big brothers so they shouldn't be any real trouble
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
Armorama: 2,764 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2011 - 07:45 AM UTC
the hobbyboss kv1's are superior and cheaper!
ModelBuildingTanks
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2011 - 04:11 PM UTC
Well, good news is I have finally finished the Tamiya 1/35 King Tiger I've been working ages on (I'll get some photos up soon for anyone who wants to see it). This'll allow me o get working on a 1/48 model. I've decided to go with either the Pershing, Cromwell, SU-122 or Hetzer. The cheapest of the three will probably win my vote. And there will be a build log like Jeremy suggested!

Thanks for all the replies!
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2011 - 08:33 PM UTC
Awesome, looking forward to it!

ps: buy them all!!
ModelBuildingTanks
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2011 - 05:29 PM UTC
Well, unfortunately I'm not gonna go on a model run just yet until I get the taste of 1/48 scale armor (I've built 1/48 planes before), but I've got my mind set on the Su-122, Pershing and then Tiger. I'm likely going to start with the Pershing and Su-122.

See ya in a build log soon!
ModelBuildingTanks
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 08:33 PM UTC
Well I think we can close this thread, I've finally chosen my model to build, and ordered it on Amazon! The 1/48 Tamiya Cromwell Mk. IV. Nobody would really expect my choice.... but more models to come afterwards. I also picked up a Jerry can and supplies kit at my local modelling store to go with the diorama I'm making with this kit. I'll post a build log two days from now once I receive the kit. Good building to everyone!

Alex
 _GOTOTOP