_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Cromwell Armour Challenger 2 TES Conversion.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,240 posts
Armorama: 1,192 posts
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 - 12:59 AM UTC
I managed to get a little more done yesterday and here we are on the downward stretch.

On the Challenger 2 the Fire Extinguishers are now placed inside covers/bags to hide the bright Red (not condicive to camo vehicles) color.

I drilled and hollowed out the poor quality, solid extinguisher head protectors provided in the Trumpeter (or Tamiya) kit and used a pair of extinguishers from Accurate Armour.
I replicated the drawstring bags with kitchen (cooking) foil.

I also added the front width indicators using 25 thou. Carbon fibre rods sold as antennas by once again, Accurate Armour.
The white ball is made from super glue.

The Enforcer now has some power and data cords added. I used 15 thou. plastic rod for this.
A little paint and another look at my pictures and we may actually get some weathering detail done later today.

Have a great Memorial Day.

Keith.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 - 12:37 AM UTC
I took the beast with me to work yesterday, (anticipating a quiet one) and painted the cables on the Enforcer weapons station.

Fearing that I will knock off the main antennas, I will do some weathering before adding them as they (Bowman) are quite tall/long.

I am not certain that I will add the wire cutter seen in front of the Enforcer as the photos show with and without.

Anyway I will try and get this finished over the weekend and then get back to my Coyote 6X6.

Keith.
Firecap4
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 309 posts
Armorama: 288 posts
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2011 - 11:25 AM UTC
Again, excellent work, Keith. Got mine ordered today; went with the 2008 variant so as to not be a total copycat (LOL), plus that is what I have the most reference pics of. Definately will be referring to this thread for reference once I get mine.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 02:34 PM UTC
Well almost done and I hope that some of you have found the build interesting?

I have added the Antennas and painted the power cables on the Enforcer Remote Weapons station.
Some weathering has been added (pigment and pastel powders) and now all that is left is to add a registration number to the front lower nose armor and an RTR badge to the door of the thermal image sight.

Final photo's will be added when fully completed.

Keith.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 03:02 PM UTC
Hi Keith,

Very nice work. Is this build depicting a UK test vehicle or an Iraq deployed tank?

The reason I ask is your choice of colours for the anti-IED equipment....the test vehicles appear to have green electronics boxes and sensors where as the Iraq deployed vehicles have all the equipment in tan.

The table top should also have tan legs and bottom if I am not mistaken for the test vehicles and deployed vehicles.

Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2011 - 12:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Keith,

Very nice work. Is this build depicting a UK test vehicle or an Iraq deployed tank?

The reason I ask is your choice of colours for the anti-IED equipment....the test vehicles appear to have green electronics boxes and sensors where as the Iraq deployed vehicles have all the equipment in tan.

The table top should also have tan legs and bottom if I am not mistaken for the test vehicles and deployed vehicles.

Thanks for the comment.

The model depicts one of the last Challengers deployed to Iraq before repatriation to the UK

As for the colors schemes, this can be a little confusing but here goes.

When the systems were developed and built they were painted by the companies making them and during trials and beyond shipped them out to Iraq and ATDU in the initial Pinkish Sand color, quite different to the standard British military Armor Stone. (you can see the color difference on the ones added to the Jackel and Coyote quite clearly)..

This saw the 2008 versions (longer and narrower hull armor) being added to vehicles that had been repainted and or replaced by refurbished MBT's hence the two colors being found on them.

As seen in 2009, the later vehicles have the newer hull armor and the sensor systems boxes and table painted in the dark/medium Green. The only Sand color being the Barracuda mat netting and the antennas on the table top.

These antennas are/were changed by the tecchies to suite the threat and when unboxed can be found in both colors. If you check carefully the antennas are not always positioned identically.

The photo's I have used throughout this thread show this and many more can easily be found on the net.

The tank you see here behind my model is/was an 'in service' vehicle at the time and only the table top antennas are Tan. But no doubt BOTH paint variations can be found.

If you like I will reproduce the picture without the model for clarity.

Another anomaly is the cable reel. The mount was changed due to the addition of the fuel drums and for accessability. Once the Bar/Slat armor was dded the drums and mountings were no longer fitted so some cable reel mounts reverted to the inital style to keep it closer to the rear hull and lesson the possibility of damage.

Just like the wire cutter, not found on all vehicles? Many of these smaller items are down to unit, Sqn. and or troop level decision making!

I have spoken at length to a friend of mine who was was my driver many years ago and is now a serving Major in Bovington and checked out my thoughts and questions before painting the beastie.

During my many years of service we as crews were encouraged to touch paint our mounts to keep them looking not only smart but projecting a professional image to the locals or anyone else watching.
This I'm sure still remains the same today...

Keith.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2011 - 02:21 AM UTC
After another chat with a chap 'in the know' it seems the front sensor boxes are still found in the Tan color especially if they are replaced with units out of the box.
Some crews have and did choose/ chosen to repaint them, however it seems that these items are removed and stored when taken out of service, and mounted for re-use. on deployment..

The end result still remains the same, both painted and unpainted can be found, the choice is yours, there is no hard and fast rule about what paint job will be found in any specific location....

Keith.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2011 - 03:31 AM UTC
Thanks for the info and the explanations. You are preaching to the converted....having served on AFVs I know all too well about the multiple changes that can occur on vehicles and the multiple times that the paint was altered or touched up by hand.

If you can post the pic that is in the background of your build that would be great.
r2d2
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 424 posts
Armorama: 419 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2011 - 05:32 AM UTC
Keith,

Very nice to see this done, you right on the scheme as you are depicting the 09' version which packs a newer armour. Some of the 08' had velcro strips on the side jammers probably was covered by a protective fabric. You could also see a wire protruding below it as I have depicted on my build. I did the 08' as I liked the more "rough" and "weathered" look of the side chobham.
Regarding the table top arrangement of the arial, again you got that right as placement could vary and also the cable reel. One thing though, I could see most of the rear tow bars are left out for easy access due to the rear bar armour. They tend to hang it on the bar armour for easy access. I have a very good image of the wires for the enfocer and all the attachment if you like.

This is a very good build and I like your style. Wish I could put my challenger besides your so they can see scale difference. Congratulations on a very well made Challenger!
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2011 - 06:02 AM UTC
Val.
I based my power cord arrangement on a verbal conversation, long distance from the USA to my contact in the UK. so any pictorial help for the Enforcer would be very welcome as I can easily update or change what I have in place. The one to and from the firing solenoid is a Grey (or Gray) area for me.

I am afraid it is a bit late for me to move the tow bar (perhaps not with a bit of work) so that picture would be helpful.

As an old AFV (Recce and MBT) commander and Gunnery instructor for many years I know how picky (or not) troop level modifications and painting can vary and it is always the same right before vehicle handovers, endex or when returning to them to home base. Paint and spruce them up!

The wire cutter provided in the Cromwell update is too short to fully cover the height of the Enforcer so if you wish to add one a simple scratchbuild is required.

I will post a copy of the Challenger picture this evening.

For those wishing to do an earlier version you can see this vehicle does not have the antenna table but two individual ones and no Enforcer. It is also missing the covers over the cables leading to the sponsons and covers for the extiguishers.

This has been an enjoyable build and it is almost done.... Thanks for your comments and I hope some of you get to do one of your own.

My thanks to Gordon Brown of Cromwell Armour for his supurb update and conversion kit.

Keith.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2011 - 10:54 AM UTC
And the final shots.
I repainted the legs on the ECM table but i don't like them so they will probably revert to the Green in the next few days.

The RTR Badge.

The commander says, "Thanks for building my ride Keef".

And the color picture.

A 'Blast from the past'.. Happy memories....

Keith.
r2d2
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 424 posts
Armorama: 419 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2011 - 11:03 AM UTC
Here you go Keith. Credit to the owner of the pics.

Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2011 - 11:08 AM UTC
Obviously I will revisit my Enforcer in the near future!

Many thanks for sharing those pictures.

Keith.
Firecap4
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 309 posts
Armorama: 288 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2011 - 02:05 PM UTC
Love it!
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2011 - 02:22 PM UTC
Thanks for posting the pics....that is a UK deployed Challenger 2 TES 2009 version in the images correct?
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 12:36 AM UTC
Indeed it is. It belongs to the Armoured Warfare Centre regiment.

The Major I referred to earlier informs me MBT's will no longer be painted Light Stone (money saver) unless they are to be based in a Middle Eastern location for an extended period of time.
It remains to be seen if Black will be applied on anything other than front line vehicles (MBT's) due to use of the Barracuda net and mat, which will be issued in colors relative to the deployment location!.

BATUS MBT's will continue to be painted in the well known Sand and Medium Green.

The sensor boxes (Sensor/jammer is on the inside) on the wings are now painted Green and as you stated, come with a Velcro style tape to allow for a covering to be applied if required.

Keith.
 _GOTOTOP