Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya 1/48 Cromwell Mk. IV
ModelBuildingTanks
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 146 posts
Armorama: 143 posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2011 - 02:47 PM UTC
Well, this is going to be my first official 1/48th armor model build! I'm a bit of newbie so people inbetween can comment and give advice if they'd like. I love criticism! So I'll be starting this build off with the Tamiya 1/48th Cromwell Mk. IV tank of the Tamiya 1/48th MM series. Some stowage will be added from the Tamiya Jerry can and stowage set I picked up from the store.
Model pictures 104
The box art

Model pictures 100
The sprues
ModelBuildingTanks
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2011 - 09:16 PM UTC
Well, after a night of modelling, I finally got both tracks put together, and the base of medium british army green painted on them after priming. The priming set in pretty quickly, but {ugh} I have to wait for the paint to dry.
Model pictures 177
Mind the horrible camera quality.
Model pictures 176
Any reason why some professional modelers put injected sprue tracks together this way? I've been doing it for a while now, especially with a 1/35 Merkava Mk.IV, and it turns out better than putting the tracks on as the instructions say, it's just a little harder to paint.

AND pay no attention to the time the picture was taken at. The camera had to reset itself and I was too lazy to look at a clock.
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
Armorama: 2,764 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 12:24 AM UTC
Looks good so far, i an from the school of pre paint then attatch then tracks, or is im being lazy, stick it all together then paint. but that does make tyres and the such more difficult
ModelBuildingTanks
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 03:58 AM UTC
Thanks James!

It makes the painting in the end look a lot cleaner in my opinion! The glue tends to diffuse and act like a paint thinner on the paint, so you want to get as much stuff together without painting it. I am pre painting some parts of course, but I usually build everything first.
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,394 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 06:41 AM UTC
Hi Alex,
You're off to a good start. This is a kit with a small fit trouble at the rear (Tamiya kits slide right together otherwise). Nothing major to fix the fit. Check out the review on PMMS - they have many helpful reviews

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/48/tamiya/tam32528.htm

Have fun and a MV lens looks good when you replace the headlight

This is from track48 - a cromwell by Pat Johnston. Looks like he hit the turret with a Dremel tool to put nicks in the steel.

vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 07:35 AM UTC
This is awesome Alex! I dig the way you pre-assemble the tracks and wheels. I'm starting to do that myself, I think it's working a lot better for me than other methods. Man I really want to pick up one of these Cromwells now
ModelBuildingTanks
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 04:04 PM UTC
Hey Greg!
I've assembled the rear and found the same trouble. Before I paint anything I'm sanding it down a bit, but other than that, thanks for the warning! Also, where exactly did he get the glass bit to do that?

Thanks for the comment Jeremy! The pre assembly of the tracks is something I found used by this japanese modeler right here, [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ20DfpyRWc] at 5:39. I've seen it commonly used on the Hetzer as well in Blogs. In my notes I figured I could do it, and it's worked out well!
ModelBuildingTanks
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 04:25 PM UTC
Model pictures 183
This is it after drying. A real doozy of a paint job. The top hull has been screwed in as well.

Model pictures 185
The turret in my very dirty hands.

Model pictures 188
The tank after initial construction. I'm trying to do this build very slowly, even thought is been fairly easy in the past days.

Model pictures 190
Model pictures 189
Both the turret and upper hull primed for painting. I frankly can't wait, so it's going to be hard to sleep and work

Well after hours and two days of construction, it looks like I'l have this baby finished in 2 more days! After that it'll be time for weathering, and the diorama base! So expect many more pictures!
ModelBuildingTanks
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2011 - 07:02 PM UTC
UPDATE : I lost a very small but noticable part to the carpet monster. It was one of the hinges on the corners of the turret. It's okay though, it was quickly replaced by a piece of baggage from the Jerry can set.

RIP TINY PLASTIC PEICE :'(
ModelBuildingTanks
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 10:35 AM UTC
Surprised nobody has commented since the last post. Guess there's not much to comment on. Model finished! I used a pretty low quality camera to take pictures. I'll attempt to edit some new ones when sending these pictures to track48. The diorama base has yet to be finished, I'm using some old ply wood and sanding it down on the edges
000_0076
000_0075
This took a looooong time to place. So did the lights on the front. Tweezers are miracle workers.
000_0074
Some baggage with a tarp I made covering them.
000_0073
000_0072
000_0066
For an ref., I used tamiya mud pigment for weathering. I'll use some more once I get the dio. base finished up.
lespauljames
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 10:52 AM UTC
nice build for your first quaterscale.
i wold say the stowage is a good touch.
i wouldnt use any sort of ply as a base, it can warp VERY easily, look for a picture frame, and work from there, os make sure it is totally sealed before doing anything.
in my opinion, your mus could use a lot of work, it seems randomly applied and i think you may have rushed into it.
the tamiya weathering products arent fantastic, so a better start would be the new AK mud products ( to mix with plaster or directly apply) or mig pigments and acrylic resin. it dosent take long to apply properly, and can really add to the overall model.
here are two examples.
A) 1/48 marder with mig pigments and acrylic resin

B) 1/35 panther with AK weathering products mixed with plaster.

if you want a dusty look, a pale oil wash or light dusting with pigments will suffice.
i hope this helps!
ModelBuildingTanks
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 10:59 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments and advice James! I'm currently adding some light pigments of earth and a tiny bit of sand and soot to make the bottom look more weathered. i'll post some pics when done. Do you have any reccomendations for the next 1/48 scale I should build. I'm thinking theTiger I by Tamiya, but I'm also looking for a KV or sherman. ALso, what megapixel camera doyou reccomend I get. I have an old 5mp, and a 6mp also. What do you use to take your pictures? My old 5mp can be upgraded to a zoom lense, which is what I'm planning on doing.
ModelBuildingTanks
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 12:01 PM UTC
000_0094
Relatively closer look at the baggage.
000_0098
000_0096
000_0091
Here's some photos for you James! I did rush on the weathering as you said, so I made some I used some different pigments and it turned out great (in my opinion) . I finally got some terf figured out for my base. I'll be using an old plaque for the base instead of ply. Thanks for the advice and the awesome comments!
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 12:55 PM UTC
Lookin good, maybe a little glossy but that could be the lighting. Look forward to seeing the base, and I agree you should stay away from plywood.
ModelBuildingTanks
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 01:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Lookin good, maybe a little glossy but that could be the lighting. Look forward to seeing the base, and I agree you should stay away from plywood.

Definately the lighting. I used several magnifying lenses on my camera to get magnified shots (they were screw on, not just regular magnifying glasses)
lespauljames
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 01:13 PM UTC
Alex , gonna be a quick un as I'm on my phone and I hate typing on it. Mud looks much better. It blends in more and looks more convincing. I shoot through a 6-7 year old Kodak 5mp. The main thing to worry about in photos is light. I use natural light on a sunny day and can get some great shots on my crappy old thing . Any good macro should be fine. A tiger is a good one. Although if you can find the afv club tiger in 1/48 for the same price or cheaper go for that one. Imo it is superior albeit a little more fiddly. The late even comes with pre moulded zimmeritt if I recall correctly. I have no experience on the tamiya kv, but have built about 4 hobbyboss ones, and they have been fun builds. The hobbyboss Shermans aren't fantastic. But they are passable. The hobbyboss t-34s are tasty, bit can be known to have minor fit issues. I'm currently building one, its on the constructive feedback forum. I have also built the tamiya pz iv and marder, and out of the two preferred the marder , well, went on a bit there for a quick reply eh.
Happy modelling and keep us posted on the base and new builds
ModelBuildingTanks
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 02:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Alex , gonna be a quick un as I'm on my phone and I hate typing on it. Mud looks much better. It blends in more and looks more convincing. I shoot through a 6-7 year old Kodak 5mp. The main thing to worry about in photos is light. I use natural light on a sunny day and can get some great shots on my crappy old thing . Any good macro should be fine. A tiger is a good one. Although if you can find the afv club tiger in 1/48 for the same price or cheaper go for that one. Imo it is superior albeit a little more fiddly. The late even comes with pre moulded zimmeritt if I recall correctly. I have no experience on the tamiya kv, but have built about 4 hobbyboss ones, and they have been fun builds. The hobbyboss Shermans aren't fantastic. But they are passable. The hobbyboss t-34s are tasty, bit can be known to have minor fit issues. I'm currently building one, its on the constructive feedback forum. I have also built the tamiya pz iv and marder, and out of the two preferred the marder , well, went on a bit there for a quick reply eh.
Happy modelling and keep us posted on the base and new builds

Thanks for the reply!
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 03:28 PM UTC
Hi Alex, your tank turned out great with the stowage - glad it was fun!

As for the KV - I prefer the Hobby Boss kits too

For a Tiger, you can go either way. I'm doing the late version from AFV club right now and it comes with the zimmeritt molded on. If you can find the 'Skybow' (same as AFV club) it comes with 2 very nice Warrior figures too.

Lots of great kits waiting to be built out there

ModelBuildingTanks
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 05:31 PM UTC
Thanks Greg. My next project will probably be the 1/48 U.S. 2.5 ton 6x6 cargo truck. I've wanted to build a wheeled vehicle for a while now, so I guess it'll be that.
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 - 05:04 PM UTC
Great choice. That's one I haven't tried yet. Keep us posted
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2011 - 05:54 PM UTC
I agree, I'll be looking forward to that as well!

Greg: Are those figures behind the Tiger the ones that come with the Skybow kit? If so I'm going to have to hunt one of those kits down!
lespauljames
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 02:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Are those figures behind the Tiger the ones that come with the Skybow kit?

im fairly sure they arent, the skybow kit came with two "half" warrior figures, presumably crewmen, not too sure though.
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 - 02:49 PM UTC
Opps, those 2 figures are made by Evolution who makes really nice stuff at a price.

Here are1 out of 2 of the skybow/warrior crew 1/2 figures

ModelBuildingTanks
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2011 - 04:54 PM UTC
Hey everyone! Models finished, but now the diorama construction begins!
103_0868
The supplies are all from a craft store. I wooden plaque for the base and some Crayola air drying clay for the hill. I've done this before and it should work. Just don't get it wet!
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2011 - 05:14 AM UTC
I look forward to seeing the crayola ground work - never tried that clay before
 _GOTOTOP