_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M4A3 Sherman question
armourguy
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 371 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 10:02 AM UTC
Hello all, where would the little Joe auxiliary generator exhausts pipe run on the M4A3. On the Dragon M4A3 (105) HVSS kit no. 6354 I notice that the exhausts runs along the sponson of the tank to the rear,

I also have a picture from the Squadron sherman walk around that has the exhaust run through the tank only to emerge from the rear wall.

Which would be more accurate for a late production VVSS 75mm M4A3? I like the look of the conduit running along the sponson, was this a WWII feature or was this added post war? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 12:35 PM UTC
I think it depends on if it's a later 56 degree hull or the newer 47 degree hull. The early ones seem to have the internal exhaust pipe.
ProfessorP
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 339 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 02:07 PM UTC
Found a pretty good shot of the generator exhaust over at Toadman's. The pipe is just visible exiting the left rear sponson in this shot.

http://www.toadmanstankpictures.com/m4a3d_03.jpg

I'm not enough of a Sherman expert to tell which production version this is but I think it's a fairly late version judging by the other pictures in the series.

I've seen better pictures of this component in a couple of different books but which ones escape me right now. I think you'd be pretty safe attaching it as shown in the instructions, just be sure to leave a tiny bit poking out beyond the sponson.

armourguy
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 464 posts
Armorama: 371 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 04:18 AM UTC
Thanks guys, this is exactly what I was looking for, I guess I'm now off to the hobby shop for the conduit material .
 _GOTOTOP