_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
Trump's Sd.Kfz6 - Photo Report
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 05:54 AM UTC
We ran an advance on Trumpeter's Sd.Kfz 6 a few weeks ago - consisting of CAD Images of the model, Now, we''re able to bring you company-supplied images of the ACTUAL model....

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 06:08 AM UTC
Thanks, Jim, looks like another one for my stash....

Interesting to see that Trumpeter can offer a trailer. Dragon should take the hint. I like the feature of the extra barrels, these babies burned through them. Also the Buessing-NAG nameplate: Germany;s 1/2 tracks were built by several firms, not just Krauss-Maffei.

1. Other nice touches: the PE supports for the load bed
2. The rifles for the crew (you have to scrounge them with the DML kits)
3. PE license plate

The "mesh" on the sides is still wrong, but then it's wrong for ALL the kit makers.
hakkikt
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 10:30 AM UTC
Might be a good idea to state the scale in the review.
Gorizont
Visit this Community
Sachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Armorama: 1,289 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 09:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Might be a good idea to state the scale in the review.

The scale of this kit is (as the other Sd.Kfz.-based FlaKīs) 1/35.

More information on Trumpeterīs webpage.
http://www.trumpeter-china.com/a/gb2312/product/armor/1_35xilie/2011/0428/1889.html

greetings...
Soeren
gremlinz
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 795 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 09:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Interesting to see that Trumpeter can offer a trailer. Dragon should take the hint. I like the feature of the extra barrels, these babies burned through them. Also the Buessing-NAG nameplate: Germany;s 1/2 tracks were built by several firms, not just Krauss-Maffei.

3. PE license plate

The "mesh" on the sides is still wrong, but then it's wrong for ALL the kit makers.

It's nice that they include a trailer but it's still the same hybrid 52/56 trailer that they included with their S.Kfz.7 kits. It would have been nice if a year after having that pointed out endlessly that they could have done the simple alteration of changing the box.

I like the look of the Bronco one better, even without the trailer as their stand alone trailer kit is worth it ( I might have bought half a dozen already ). But knowing me I'll still get one of these just because I'm a sucker for german halftracks.
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 - 08:43 AM UTC
Dean, I agree, but I'd rather consumers get a half-right trailer than none at all.

The Bronco kit looks very promising, as does their trailer, though I have no first-hand knowledge of either halftrack kit or the stand-alone trailer kit (their first 6 was the rare "Diana" from the Africa TO). I would like to have a look at both.

In any case, whether you purchase the Bronco or the new Trumpeter, the wheels will need upgrading, especially the vinyl Trumpy ones. Here is the answer to that (I also have a review of the "uncommon" tread pattern in the reviews queue).
gremlinz
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 - 10:18 AM UTC
Hi Bill,

Yeah their wheels are excellent and my goto for Sd.Kfz.250 wheels ( and most likely for Sd.Kfz.6 wheels too ).

I agree with you that a halfright one is better than none and I do think it a pity Bronco don't offer theirs together ( maybe they'll do an AFV Club and offer a combo kit ) but I sort of feel like it's an indication that Trumpeter doesn't listen to feedback and don't care if they get things wrong which doesn't really endear me to the brand.

Although on past experience I do get the distinct impression that only the two of us care about trailers - I so badly want an Anhanger E5 Einheits-Anhanger 5t and an Sd.Ah.115 ( preferably with a Faun L900 tank transporter to tow it and in styrene so I don't have to stump up for the Elite ones ).
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 - 02:06 AM UTC
I hate to go on a rant.....but here goes....

I can't understand why these manufacturers can't do their research and release a kit with the correct wheels, trailer or drop down sides. Look....why should I pay for aftermarket wheels and barrels, resin trailers, etc. when they are charging $50+ for a high end product.

The same thing happened to Hobbyboss (luckily for Bronco) with the Land-Wasser Schlepper.....they were originally priced at $60+ but now (I bought two of them for this price) you can get them for around $20.00 because they have incorrect shapes and features. I don't think these manufacturers should be rewarded for shoddy research just because they want to beat someone else to the punch and release a kit first.

Do the research...get it right the first time and we WILL buy your kits...otherwise we will read the reviews and reject your kits. Just my two cents worth.

Jeff
MacTrucks
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 285 posts
Armorama: 228 posts
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 - 05:32 AM UTC
Often times the research is complete and accurate, but the subtle changes won't always justify the business decision for all the new tooling involved. That's the balancing act, how accurate can they make it for the cost or what compromises can the builder tolerate.

As someone who hasn't research German WWII armor much, it looks like a nice kit that would be easy to assemble. People with this might represent 50 to 80% of the global market. Build it, paint it, put it on a shelf to collect dust types. The other group is fanatical in their research and commitment to accuracy. I don't mean this as a derogatory sense either. The most extreme of this group worries over the accuracy of minute details and is most likely to rework things to suit their own tastes or research. Model kit manufacturers are going to attempt to satisfy the broadest category for the cost.

When I read a review or look at a kit, I want to know if there are gross errors that make the kit, well, completely unlike the real thing. There are models that fall into this category where they were so poorly designed or tooled that features are grossly inaccurate, missing, or could easily be identified as out-of-scale by the naked eye of the average person.

Then there are models which build nicely and look pretty correct, but have some general detail missing or incorrect. You could build it box stock easily for your own enjoyment, but it would never represent an accurate museum piece. Friends and family to visit your home and view your display would never notice unless they are in the "know".

Then there are models which are truly as accurate as you can reasonable expect in a scale made from injection molded plastics. Models which require a laser scan comparison to the real thing to detect any errors or omissions. These are truly rare and most often come and true premium prices (over $100).

While I prefer accuracy, I will often sacrifice some at cost. I like reviews that clearly define this so I can make my own decision. But there have been times I passed on a "bad" kit only to discover that it was really nice and worth having. Its everyone's personal preference to decide what they will purchase or not. If I boycotted every kit that someone had a complaint about I'd be in another hobby though. Needlepoint.... NOT!!

The only reason I mention this is that the discussion seemed to be panning this kit, thought it clearly wasn't a review. I also didn't see anything showing how comparatively bad the problems were. I don't build in 1/35, but was impressed by what I saw in the photos. Based on the conversation, I wanted to run the other way. Many modelers will read posts, but I think many may not understand or join the discussion. They might just react and say "There's no way I'd waste money on that", when they really fall into the category who wants a nice model to build. My two cents (which these day's isn't worth anything
gremlinz
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 - 06:54 PM UTC
Hi Kent,

I take your point there. I wasn't kidding when I say I think that only Bill and Myself actually care about the trailers.

Overall it looks like a good kit. If it was the only one on the market I'd buy it ( I probably will anyway as I love Jerry's halftracks ).

As regards the trailer it has the Sd.Ah.52 chassis and the Sd.Ah.56 top which is wrong. Either trailer on t's own complete is correct. I'll buy it as I'll simply rebuild the box as a complete Sd.Ah.52.

To be pedantic the gun is possibly wrong too as there's no record of the Sd.Kfz.6/2 with a 3.7cm Flak 37, just the earlier Flak 36 but I'm realistic enough to know one could have easily been upgraded.

But those two points aside it's a good looking kit and as I said if it were the only one I'd buy it in a heartbeat. But Bronco has one that looks equally good and better in places ( the spare barrel box is correct ), doesn't have a trailer but Bronco do a standalone Sd.Ah.52 kit that is very good and it does have the FlaK 36.

But you're right that we do sound like we're panning it without good cause and I do apologise for that.

I guess my moan wasn't so much at the kit itself but rather at Trumpeter. They released this trailer a year ago with their Sd.Kfz.7 kits and it was pointed out then that it was wrong ( in some threads that got quite heated in the debate between those who cared and those who didn't ). One of Trumpeters people took part in those debates so they were aware it was wrong but they chose not to correct it.

I understand the business reasoning behind that, like you say 90% who buy it won't care. But at the same time I've seen other manufacturers who do take feedback on board and make changes so for me it was more a case of if they don't care then what else don't they care about ? Can I trust any of their research ? And do I give my money to a company that isn't interested in doing the best they can, or do I give it to someone like Bronco who I see as doing a much better job of bring to the market fresh ideas.

And I apologise in advance for the detour down an old tangent away from the subject at hand for those who just want to go buy and build and not get caught up in the endless debates over seemingly trivial shortcomings.
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2011 - 03:34 AM UTC

Dean, only the most casual modeler will be upset at your pointing these things out. I care about the correct trailer because, as you have pointed out, once it gets into production, it tends to stay there. Putting the right box on the right chassis shouldn't be that hard, but apparently Trumpy's management has decided it's not worth fixing the way they supposedly went back and fixed some of the problems with the Sd.Kfz.7.

DML is one of the better manufacturers are upgrading its kits, for which it gets high marks from me. Imagine if they'd stuck with their earlier versions all these years the way Tamiya has? They fall down, though, because they don't include a trailer at all.

Trumpeter has been steadily improving its product, but I suspect that once something is in production, the financial incentive of correcting it is simply too small. After all, look at the size of the AM resin upgrade companies-- the only ones that attract real critical mass are those offering conversions to vehicles that don't exist in kit form. So why spend $$$$ when your kits sell anyway? Tamiya has shown that.

But even Tamiya deserves some props, especially its airplane division. They've just announced the first accurate P-51 Mustang D in 1/32 scale, and if it's like their Zeros and Spitfires, it will be a welcome addition to the hobby.

I guess it just shows that no company has a lock on accuracy.

Finally, as to the correct "mesh." I don't believe it's possible to produce it in styrene, and even the PE makers have shied away from tackling the issue. The Griffon upgrade is accurate, but it's expensive and a $%#^@#%&$%#$ to build. Kamizukuri has its laser-cut paper, but that's still something of a partial success. This is one that will have to wait for a technological breakthrough in resin or styrene.
rolf
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 301 posts
Armorama: 250 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 - 04:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

3. PE license plate

It's nice that they include a trailer but it's still the same hybrid 52/56 trailer that they included with their S.Kfz.7 kits. It would have been nice if a year after having that pointed out endlessly that they could have done the simple alteration of changing the box.

I like the look of the Bronco one better, even without the trailer as their stand alone trailer kit is worth it ( I might have bought half a dozen already ). But knowing me I'll still get one of these just because I'm a sucker for german halftracks.

Changing the box wouldn't have fixed the trailer for this release. The Sd.Ah. 56 carried 2cm ammo for the FlaKVierling 38. the proper trailer for this release would have been the Sd.Ah, 57 which carried 3.7cm ammo. Externally they were identical, internally they were not. Trumpeter's box is fine for a Sd.Ah. 56/57 it is the frame that is wrong. The Trumpeter trailer is a mix of Sd.Ah. 52 and Sd.Ah. 56/57 as you said having a frame of a 52 but box, wheels and fenders of a 56/57. Now having said that, at least you get a trailer unlike the Dragon kits. But Trumpeter was made aware of accuracy issues with their Sd.Kfz. 7 series with their first release (as well as this trailer) and they still have not fixed any of them as far as I know.

Roy
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 - 04:40 AM UTC
Trailer aside, the vinyl tires on Trumpy 1/2 tracks have to go:

Replacement wheels with the "uncommon" tread.

Replacement wheels with the "common" tread.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 - 05:04 AM UTC
Thanks for the review Bill!

I do have one question, why aren't these replicating a flat side and bulge in the sidewall to them as they make ground contact?

- Jeff
rolf
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 301 posts
Armorama: 250 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 - 07:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the review Bill!

I do have one question, why aren't these replicating a flat side and bulge in the sidewall to them as they make ground contact?

- Jeff

Properly inflated tires have no bulge only underinflated tires have a bulge.

Roy
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 - 08:18 AM UTC
What Roy said.

The road wheels for Jerry 1/2 tracks didn't carry a lot of weight. I'm sure Frenchy will post some photos making a liar out of me, though.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 - 10:42 AM UTC
If you compare tires on large trucks and on typical cars, you might also see another clue about the lack of bulge on those old 1/2 track tires... They were (are, on restored examples) the older-fashioned straight-wall truck tire. These truck-type tires have substantially stiff and thick side-walls and don't bulge when properly inflated. Much of the weight-carrying capacity of these tires is provided by the sidewalls, and the air serves more as a cushion or shock-absorber.

Many (maybe most) modern passenger car tires are "radial" tires with softer side-walls. These radials actually bulge out a little - by careful design - when they are properly inflated. The air serves as both load-carrier and shock absorber; a non-bulging radial is an over-inflated radial and may not perform as planned...

Interestingly enough (to me, anyway ), the Germans quickly found that the standard "straight sidewall, truck-style" military tires did not serve very well in the loose sand of the north Africa desert... and switched to those nice wide and bulgy radial desert tires one sees on DAK kubelwagens! That, and they learned to deflate and soften tires so that they would bulge and conform to float on the soft substrates rather than dig down into it. Something probably not too important for those rather lightly-loaded tires on German 1/2 tracks.

Cheers!

Bob
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 - 11:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Interestingly enough (to me, anyway ), the Germans quickly found that the standard "straight sidewall, truck-style" military tires did not serve very well in the loose sand of the north Africa desert... and switched to those nice wide and bulgy radial desert tires one sees on DAK kubelwagens!
Cheers!

Bob

I was under the impression the radial tyre didn't come out onto the market until after the war.
 _GOTOTOP