_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Tamiya 1/48th Hetzer
Rampenfest
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 193 posts
Armorama: 188 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 05:45 PM UTC
This was my first model I built after about 3 years away from the workbench. I did not own an airbrush at the time, so it is handpainted (which made it look kinda bad) I couldn't weather the jack and extra treads very well. The pastel chalk didn't really want to stick to those things.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - 07:54 PM UTC
It does look somewhat like a toy, without any weathering. Otherwise, don't sell yourself short. The actual camo looks convincing. Did you use a pigment fixer with the chalk? Of course you have to make sure that the chalk is like talcum to use a fixer. You may want to look into Tamiya's pigments, as they don't need a fixer. I've also found that camo face paint and lady's makeup work well. Total cost for both was $5.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 - 08:55 AM UTC
I agree with Matt, and if you are having trouble with hand painting you may want to try your hand at Vallejo acrylics. I've just started using them at several people's recommendations. They provide superior coverage for hand painting and have been helped me out tremendously
Rampenfest
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 193 posts
Armorama: 188 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 - 11:08 AM UTC
Matt, I completly agree. Before I weathered it, I was thinkng, this looks like a toy. (although I guess models could be considered toys, but it just didn't look good) I just used pastel chalk and mixed some colours together. I then applied it dry by using my fingers and brushes. And Jeremy, I now have an airbrush so I use that now. Thanks though for the tip.

-Rampenfest
 _GOTOTOP