_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Polish Sherman Mk. III
BillGorm
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 609 posts
Armorama: 433 posts
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 - 11:26 PM UTC
I completed this recently for the Sherman campaign. It's Dragon's mid-production Sicily kit with Bison Decals and Panda Plastics tracks modeled as a Mk. III vehicle with the Polish 4th armoured regiment in Italy.

Looking the model over, the two biggest flaws that jump out are the mold lines on the tools and the front transmission housing, which doesn't meet the upper front hull at the correct angle. What else looks wonky construction-wise? Are there any Sherman-specific corrections I should note for the next time around?

This build was really about the weathering. I wanted to push myself and depict a heavily used vehicle. What could be improved? I'd be particularly interested to hear how others make mud. I followed Adam Wilder's article on this site and it worked well, except that the plaster I used caused the mud to dry much lighter than expected and much lighter than the color when wet. Are there tinted plasters available?

Anyway, some photos ... thanks for any input.

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 - 02:09 AM UTC
I like the look of your weathering. I use Rustoleum's textured brown paint for mud. You spray a little over the tracks and running gear. You should allow some to get on the armor as well. I looks just like fresh soil. Another method I have used is coffee grounds. Use some diluted white glue and sprinkle the ground over the areas you want dirty. Make sure you seal them with flat clear or they will mold. To weather the paint, I suggest using the hairspray method. This should allow for minor and major chipping. You may also want to add some rust pigment to the tracks and running gear. Wet, abused metal=rusty metal.
 _GOTOTOP