_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Making head way
270weatherby
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 07, 2011 - 08:06 PM UTC
Here's where I am today. This is the first model i've done in around 13 years and I only ever did aircraft before. It's getting close to priming.
However, what's the best way of painting the tracks? Seems like it will be a royal pain when they're installed.

Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 08, 2011 - 01:25 AM UTC
The zimm looks great,definitly assemble the tracks and paint before installing them.I paint them with Tamiya XF-64,wash them in a enamel black-burnt umber wash,dry brush the high points with metal,and then dust with pigments.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 08, 2011 - 01:31 AM UTC
I always paint the tracks and running gear last. Makes for a much easier job than having to worry about overspray when installed. Paint the tracks, drybush with a metallic, and add pigment conservatively. Another option for pigments is to use Rust-o-leum's brown textured paint. It looks like wet earth. If you want to super-detail the tracks, spray with rusto and add a few sprigs of scale grass.
PrestonVonStruben
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 173 posts
Armorama: 169 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 10:30 AM UTC
when it comes to tracks i usually use a slow setting glue and shape the tracks to the running gun, then remove them and let them dry. afterwards i go ahead and prime and paint, weather etc.. place them on the running gear and glue the links together, i recommend the top and bottom all in piece, and the curves as they go up the rear drive sprocket and the front guide are usually their own.
hth
presto
 _GOTOTOP