_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Please Read! Our friend Rob (Sabot)
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2003 - 03:22 PM UTC
Howdy All!

It has come to my attention that one of our own 'Cornerstone's', Rob Gronovious (Sabot) is planning on leaving active participation on the Forum's, and instead, focusing on 'Admining' exclusively.
Now, I don't know about all of you, but I strongly feel that this is both a travesty on a dramatic level, and a severe loss on a personal level!!
I am quite certain that I do not speak on only a personal note when I say that Rob's planned absence from the Forum's would leave a hollow spot that would be noticed by the vast majority of both new and 'old' member's here at Armorama.
I also, do not think I am going out on a limb when I say that Rob has been a constant source of support, information, knowledge, confirmation, enlightenment, and more than timely answer's to our most duanting questions about the most obscure and 'hard-to-find' puzzle's we can collectively come up with!! Not only that, but he has almost always been the first to respond to another members dilemma's, whether that member be a 'newbie', or an 'old dog'.
In this regard, I don't really care if it sound's like I'm getting up on a 'soapbox' about this whole thing, because sometimes it's more important that a voice be heard.
My request to you all is this; Add your voice to this thread. Whether you've been just a 'lurker' around Armorama, if you've just hung around to gather 'info', if you're just a bit shy, or whether you've just never had the time...take the time RIGHT NOW, and add your voice to this thread!!

................................................. STAY ROB!!, DON'T LEAVE!! ............................................................

...the voice of a friend.

Sincerely,

Tread, aka, Gordon Alexander Rain.
Here's to ya Rob!
(I'm drinking to you in the USMC beer stein a good friend bought for me )
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2003 - 03:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

(I'm drinking to you in the USMC beer stein a good friend bought for me )

Now you've really done it!! I'm sure that Rob would prefer you to be drinking out of an ARMY beer stein!

andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,088 posts
Armorama: 1,257 posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2003 - 04:23 PM UTC
Yes Sabot, I will have to agree with Treahead please stay your knowledge is huge i don't know what we would do with out you.
Please stay!!!!!!!
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Armorama: 903 posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2003 - 06:37 PM UTC
Hi there

Until this thread, I hadn't realised Sabot's decision to step back went beyond the Aircraft forum, where he will be greatly missed as a Moderator.

His contribution is immense and if he truly stops active participation in the forums, it will be pretty devastating. My only hope is that, if he goes through with this, he'll find he can't stay away and is soon back and more involved than ever!

All the best

Rowan
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2003 - 07:14 PM UTC
Rob throwing in the sponge What am I going to do to get first-hand informations about modern US Army stuff ? Joining up ?
Rob you can do that to the Armorama community

Frenchy
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2003 - 07:22 PM UTC
Yes, Rob has always been a great help for us.
I'm very sad to hear he's intending to leave.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2003 - 07:33 PM UTC
I'm with the others saying that loosing Rob's contribution will be a great loss. I don't know what are the reasons behind his decision, but I'd be more than happy if Rob will re-consider it.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2003 - 08:02 PM UTC
Rob,

Your probably did - and do - more for Armorama than any other member, if not more than half the other members combined.
You feed us with broad knowledge on the subject of modern US hardware and the functioning of an army, a vast background of WWII military history and an encyclopedic knowledge on plastic and aftermarket kits, making this the best modeling site in the universe as we know it today.

You are surely one of the most correct, measured and considerate people I ever got to know, even if we only met on this forum. Therefore I'm sure you have given this a lot of thought and it is not an easy decision to take.

I won't be the one to try to convince you to a change of heart over your decisions. The good news is that you will still be around.

I can't give you medals and ribbons for what you do for us, but these are two words I really mean : thank you !

Maybe there's no need to make irreversible decisions. Why not take a break for a while. Spend some more time with your family and with other hobbies. I'm sure you'll start missing us in no time !

You know that we all secretly hope that you will continue to support us like you have always done, but we need to respect your decision, and it would not be fair to try to make your feel guilty in any way or to try to make you change your mind.

shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Armorama: 2,283 posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2003 - 10:04 PM UTC
Yes! Please stay! You've been a good friend to us all!
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2003 - 10:24 PM UTC
Sabot,
If you do become an Admin Behind the Scenes person you will take with you not only a first hand knowledge and first hand access to a wealth of information. You will take with you a little piece of Armorama. You have been a figurehead part of this community as long as I can remember and have ALWAYS been friendly, polite, encouraging, honest.......

It would be as if one of your best friends moves to another town. Very sad indeed. You would be missed by every member.

I can not make you change your mind. You obviously have reasons for your decision. While I will not ask you stay, I will pull at your sleave and give you more to think about and make your decision harder.

If you still decide to become an Admin - Thank you for everything.

mavrick1124
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 188 posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2003 - 11:02 PM UTC
Although I do not know many of you on the level that of you have come to know RoB, I am sure he will still be around here checking things out. It is hard to leave something one has been so close to for so long. I Don't know his reasons for this step down, but feel he has done so only after very careful thoughts . If someone needed his thoughts and help, I feel sure he would not hesitate to offer his advise and insights to them. Rob, good luck and enjoy the time. Job Well Done !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2003 - 11:09 PM UTC
Rob,

I'd like you to do what feels best to you, but..... I'm gonna miss your active duty big time if you go to the background !

Since I always considered you as a man with wisdom, I'll support whatever decision you make. I would regret, but understand, if you decided to move back a few steps.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2003 - 11:27 PM UTC
Rob,
A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do... but...

If it's trolls and flamers that have got you down.. #$@%@#$% em!

If the only thing they can do is complain from the distance and not contribute to the community, then I feel sorry for them but to let them drive you away means they win!

For someone who as done as much for this place as you have, not to mention you opening up the motorpool for our visit, to choose to leave because some Momma's cellar dwelling no-job, poorly bathed, nose breathing troll would be a huge loss.

From what I can tell, the same thing is going on over at ML with their somewhat dragonian policies and all. I'd hate for this community to lose some of it's friendly atmosphere and a valued contributor due to teh bad apples.

sorry for the rambling.
my $ 0.02
Mike
M113
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 411 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 01:01 AM UTC
Hey Rob,

I hope i hear wrong !?
Hey, Major ! Who allows u to go first of all
I know u since long years, (from tanktalk, etc..) u have always been a good friend to me, and as the others say, your knowledge has been always useful for anyone around here.(net).
As u see, we really dont want u to leave.
An allied captain's speaking ! An allied captain = a major, rite ? :-) (especially nowadays).
Please, stay.

SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 01:43 AM UTC
I believe Rob's decision is based on what the Management at this website has asked him to do. I know theres been some people who couldn't handle constructive criticism of his in some forums for whatever reason and I guess they wanted to avoid an situation with Rob also being a mod on the site.

AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 01:52 AM UTC
Rob I sincerley hope you reconsider becoing a REMF. But if you have to do this, I wish you the best.
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 02:39 AM UTC
yes he will be missed.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 03:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I believe Rob's decision is based on what the Management at this website has asked him to do. I know theres been some people who couldn't handle constructive criticism of his in some forums for whatever reason and I guess they wanted to avoid an situation with Rob also being a mod on the site.

This is not true. In fact Rob has not really shared his reasons with any of the other site staff (that I am aware of). I am hoping he will change his mind but at this point I don't fully understand his motivations. If this is based on a scenario as described above I have made my policy very clear regarding the Rivet Review forum.

I am hopeful that Rob will remain an important contributor on the site. If not in the Fourms than elsewhere. I think I speak for us all when I say he is one of our most valued members.

Thanks,
Jim
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,092 posts
Armorama: 1,607 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 04:08 AM UTC
Rob's input will be missed. I started out on ML but a fellow modeller recommended this site and I find the general tone of the responses to be more helpful and less 'I'm the expert so I'll tell you what the &^$^ you did wrong'. Maybe I'm a big softie but that's what these sites are for is helping and sharing. I've always found Rob's responses helpful and defer to his expertise in modern US armor.

Paul
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,405 posts
Armorama: 656 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 04:17 AM UTC
Sabot (Major Rob) stepping back to take a more ‘administrative role’ you must be joking! Well actually I did read his motor pool thread and I am sad to hear he is becoming less active.

Rob I just got the M1A1HA and along with the M1A2 I was hoping to get that definitive guide on how to get a very accurate Abrams.

Well whatever your reason, thanks for the help so far, you have indirectly helped many of us with you posting as well as the great photos in the Motor pool, and the very Best of luck.
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 04:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This is not true. In fact Rob has not really shared his reasons with any of the other site staff (that I am aware of). I am hoping he will change his mind but at this point I don't fully understand his motivations. If this is based on a scenario as described above I have made my policy very clear regarding the Rivet Review forum.

I am hopeful that Rob will remain an important contributor on the site. If not in the Fourms than elsewhere. I think I speak for us all when I say he is one of our most valued members.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim,

I was under that impression from reading one of his postings over on Missing Lynx which has been since deleted from the General Newsgroup about a certian individal trolling certain AFV news groups.

Delta42
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 616 posts
Armorama: 511 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 06:01 AM UTC
I too hope that Rob will change his mind. His input has been invaluable both to me and I'm sure many others. However, if this is what he wants, then I can only wish him the best in all of his future endevors.

Dave
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 09:30 AM UTC
I always want to see Rob here but I know he can give the best decisions for himself better than all of us.....and I believe he will contact to forums in any way....Thanks for teaching me the word AWESOME buddy.be safe
best regards
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 10:25 AM UTC
Rob you will be very missed around here Hopefully you will reconsider,but you know what's best for you Anyway,good luck with whatever you decide
 _GOTOTOP