_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
DML 2nd armoured figures
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,088 posts
Armorama: 1,257 posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2003 - 04:04 PM UTC
Hi all,
Here are some photos of two of DML's 2nd armoured figures from Normandy
as usual comments welcome,
2nd armoured figures front
2nd armoured figures back
more photos are available in my Armorama gallery.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2003 - 06:35 PM UTC
Andy I don't know much about figures but in the front shot LH soldier seems to have a seam line on the leg on the pin, the figures left leg. Other then that they look OK to me.
Golikell
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 914 posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2003 - 11:28 PM UTC
The faces seem very featureless to me. didn't you paint these beyond the pink thing?
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 12:20 AM UTC
Nice camo pattern, not very common.
Don't forget a rifle strap.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Armorama: 2,283 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 12:45 AM UTC
The overall work was done well. You should emphasize the face. Add some weathering. It would look more like a maniquine rather than a human fig.
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 01:21 AM UTC
Looks good Andy, just keep plugging away at the faces and trying different things to get them to look the way you want.
Faces are all about practice, especially in 1/35th. I do mainly 120MM and bigger and I recently went back and did a 1/35th, in some respects it harder (size) but in some respects it's easier (as another modeler told me, "You can get away with impression in 1/35th").
You've got a nice build there, a few details here and there and you'll be styling. Nice job on the camo pattern. Did you add the helmet net or is that the kit molding?
One bit of painting reference, there is a butt plate on the M-1 and I suspect the BAR, so the part where the gun meets the shoulder should be painted a steel or metalic color.
I just bought these figures, can't wait to dig into them (but I'll have to as I have several other projects to finish first).
What do you think of them?
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,088 posts
Armorama: 1,257 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 11:54 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments guys i am going to have practice with the faces.
Do you have any suggestions for the colour of the face?
Cliff, Thank you for the heads up WWH also picked it up so I will fix it.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 04:23 PM UTC
Andy,

Your figures looked much better than the ones you did a couple months ago, that's why I like about your work, you always improving. I like how the weapon turned out, since I am not a figure expert, so I can't really comment on what you can do to improve, but they looked rather nice to me.

AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 03:30 AM UTC
THese look pretty good, but ditto on the seam on the BAR guy's legging and boot. Also, there appears to be a seam on the butt plate of the Garand.
To get some shadow in your faces, get a small tube of burnt sienna oil at a Michael's or similar store. Thin that down with regular old thinner and apply a light wash. This will settle in the low places and give some depth. Lighten whatever you used for the base flesh and apply a light touch to the tops of the cheeks, along the ridge of the nose and on the higest point of the chin. A dry brushing technique will blend this in. Use the same technique on the hands. You can give the inmpression of eyes by using a tiny bit of thinned dark brown applied with your smallest brush to the eye socket.
 _GOTOTOP