_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
If It Walks Like A Tank?
collin26
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 317 posts
Armorama: 259 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 09:10 AM UTC
A few photos of a work in progress.......

This Palo Parente's "DUST MODELS" Gunther Schwere Kampf Laufer.
Not my usual realm of interest but I could not resist this........thing.
Can you see the design elements of the 322 & Panzer III?
Most grab handles are cut from floral wire and the tow cables, u-bolts & attachement points are from the spares box (DML Ferdenand I believe) & the head lights are from a 222.
Not the most solid kit in the world. You can see the need for a good amount of filling and sanding but it sure looks fun to paint and that is all the matters!
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 03:33 PM UTC
Awesome Iain! I have this kit too and was noticing the similarities myself
The resin kits are are sturdier than this one, but this has still got to be one of the coolest
The little details you are adding are aces, and I can't wait to see how you approach painting and weathering on this one
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 1,646 posts
Armorama: 1,557 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 04:04 PM UTC
Cool!! I've been thinking about some of his kits, but haven't made the jump yet. This just might push me over the edge. I look forward to seeing your progress.

Iain, on a personal note, are you associated with that over-priced boys college there in your neck of the woods?

Happy Modelling, -zon
collin26
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 03:47 AM UTC
Zon,
Ajajajajaja!!! I am only associated with Yale's S.E. Asian Studies Department. I study Vietnamese culture & History. No "Boys Club" for me. Although I hear it is the fastest path to the White House! Seriously, I just study Vietnam and take the classes related to S.E. Asia in general. No letter sweaters and frat houses for this one!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 04:46 AM UTC
pretty cool collin. what is it?
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 08:58 AM UTC
I've always admired the DUST models- the way the kind of take bits and pieces from real WW2 armor and add all that futuristic stuff is superb. A thorughly nice build Iain.
You say its 'not the most solid kit in the world'- are there any major issues or just the usual filling and sanding as you say? Plus, is it posable- like can you choose how it sits and which way the weapons are pointing?
collin26
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 09:44 AM UTC
Karl,
No major issues with the kit at all. I probably should have left that comment to myself. It just that I would rather be painting than filling & sanding!
Just the usual though, just some seems to clean up and ejector pin marks in noticeable places that need to be sanded out.
As for the posture, the kit is designed in such a way that it is totally apposable. The kit is designed with little rubber gromets and hinges so that you can pose the vehicle any way you choose. The drawback is that the kit is a bit heavy for the joints. This means that the figure will kinda colapse on itself once it is completely built. In otherwords, you have to pick a posture and glue it in place. Gluing the beasts joints in a fixed position will also help in the painting process. If you were to paint the figure in one posture and them move the limbs, you would open up joints & hinges that were not previously exposed and were not painted.
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 1,646 posts
Armorama: 1,557 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 - 12:34 PM UTC
Iain: I was only a grad student there myself, so never received better than second class citizenship. Interesting culture to observe though. Good luck in your studies.

Happy Modelling, -zon
Karl187
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 - 01:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Karl,
No major issues with the kit at all. I probably should have left that comment to myself. It just that I would rather be painting than filling & sanding!
Just the usual though, just some seems to clean up and ejector pin marks in noticeable places that need to be sanded out.
As for the posture, the kit is designed in such a way that it is totally apposable. The kit is designed with little rubber gromets and hinges so that you can pose the vehicle any way you choose. The drawback is that the kit is a bit heavy for the joints. This means that the figure will kinda colapse on itself once it is completely built. In otherwords, you have to pick a posture and glue it in place. Gluing the beasts joints in a fixed position will also help in the painting process. If you were to paint the figure in one posture and them move the limbs, you would open up joints & hinges that were not previously exposed and were not painted.

Iain- thanks for that. Sounds like quite an interesting build.

Anyway- what paint scheme are you going for?
collin26
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 - 08:44 AM UTC
Karl,
Just finished priming with Vallejo primers.....man these things are tight. By runing primer through the airbrush, I am able to get into tight spots with out plastering the rest of the model with 3" of primer!
Anyway, not 100% on the paint scheme yet but I guess I had better figure it out quick.
So far the idea is to paint paint the lower half & feet in a steel color and use the hairspray tech. to show heavy chipping on the "running gear" and then use a late war luftwaffe 3-tone camo on the upper surfaces. Something like what you would see on an FW-190D-11 or TA-152. Colors would be Braunviolet, Light green, & Dunkelgelb. Should be tight!
Increment
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 125 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 - 09:51 AM UTC
Ian,

This looks fantastic. I'm really into the 'Dust Thing' after building one of their resin Jagdluther's last year.

I cant praise these kits enough, easy clean up and easy construction. I had mine prepared, and built within 4 or 5 hours. And the painting and weathering is the best bit.

The multiple poses, and wide open door for a painting and weathering frenzy just added to the enjoyment. My kit lacked any decals, as most of them do, however recent releases have their own flavour of 'Dust World' decals, and you can also get sheets from them which are quite cheap and add so much to the Dust look and feel.

I havn't a clue how to post pictures, but you can see mine over on the BM site (http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=55168&st=40&start=40). Apologies if putting this link in, is inappropriate)

To be honest, whilst a little expensive, it was the most enjoyable modelling experience in quite some time, simply because there was no rights and no wrongs, and anyone sitting on the fence should have a go. As a result I am now scatch building my own 'what-if Dust walker' with some kit parts, JB barells and a lot of plasti card.

Looking forward to seeing your progress, and getting some inspiration !.

Regards,

Chris.
 _GOTOTOP