_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Leopold vs Leopold
MMB
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 259 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 01:38 AM UTC
Can anyone tell me which Leopold ( Dragon or Trumpeter )is better detailed, more accurate or .... ?

Thanks in advance,
Marc
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 01:44 AM UTC
I don't know how accurate any of them is but Trumpeter kit is waaay more detailed. Dragon kit is much more simplified, but is supposedly easier to build.

Rgds,
Pawel
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Armorama: 2,283 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 02:00 AM UTC
I will go for the Dragon kit. It contains the PE for the kit and the crew.
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 02:10 AM UTC
Perth Military Modeling society has a in-box comparison review.
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,966 posts
Armorama: 1,635 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 05:28 AM UTC
Here is a link to the comparison review "Porkchop" mentioned.

http://pmms.webace.com.au/reviews/vehicles/misc/k5.htm

Both kits appear to be good, I guess which one you get would depend on the level of detail you want, and also the ease of build.

Mike
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,315 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 05:31 AM UTC
Hi. Everyone is going to have to make their own decisions here on these two. As another poster has said, the Trumpeter has a lot more seperate parts to it to build, with over 1100 pieces overall, compared to around 700 for the Dragon kit. One of the main differences here is in the amount of seperate parts there are that go on the two trucks.

Also the Trumpter kit has the L- or T-track to it as well, depending on how you want to display it. Both have PE, hoses, wire and such to them.

But you are going to pay around $30 more for the Trumpeter kit Don't think you can go wrong with either of them, from what I've seen of them both in the box. I opted for the Trumpeter model due to the different track layout that is a option. Although I plan, if all goes well and it can be done, to build the in-line version of it with the model RR accessories for the track, rails, ballast and bed.

If you're concerned about the price of the Trumpeter kit just look at it, what with all the detail involved in building the two trucks, cradle, gun and track bed, as like getting 5 seperate kits all in one box.

And just because it comes in a big box don't thing for a second that there's lots of empty space in there. This carboard container is chock full to the gills with parts, top to bottom. So you are going to get your money's worth. And it it also packages very nicely with some extra packing around those easily breakable parts.

Good luck and take care, sgirty
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,546 posts
Armorama: 1,081 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 05:31 AM UTC
According to PMMS The trumpeter offering is much more accurate, better detailed and has a lot more parts, plus it has a turntable track layout that is pretty cool. It's the one I plan on getting.

Rob
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 - 05:51 AM UTC
here is a cool link . this might help u out on whick model.
to get i might get the dragan kit in a few months ...
this is a great web for the rail car model

http://www.one35th.com/model/k5/k5_hist01.htm
boosahmer
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 651 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 04:57 AM UTC
Thanks to all for the info- it helped me make up my mind! I just bought the Trumpeter version....$89.00 US! what a deal, huh???!!!! :-) :-) :-)
Mar-74
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 679 posts
Armorama: 409 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 - 05:07 AM UTC
after much deliberation i went for the dragon kit. Well honestly i didnt decide my local shop did! Iasked him to price up both kits for me to avoid hefty shipping charges and he bought a dragon kit. I just couldnt say no.
Cant build it yet cos i dont have the room. One thing i will be doing though is buying a set of figures that vince is in the process of sculpting they would be the icing on dragons cake!
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 05:34 AM UTC
Hi all
I think i'm going crazy!!!!!! I just wandered into my local model shop for a look round and came out with the Trumpeter Leopold. Having had a look in the box i'm amazed at the contents. Does anyone know of any 1:35 scale German locomotives or track etc because I have this crazy idea of adding more track and perhaps a tunnel mouth and even a loco.
Happy modelling
Pete
crossbow
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 1,387 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 06:44 AM UTC
CMK has a locomotiv, but it's not cheap (approx. 300euro).

http://www.czechmasterskits.cz/RA015.htm
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2003 - 06:52 AM UTC
Baluard (a spanish company) has a diesel locomotive,some rolling stock and some railway thingies. Whether they are still in production is beyond me... They are expensive and the fit of parts is not the best...sorry for being so vague..... #:-) Jim
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2003 - 06:22 AM UTC
Thank you Jim and Crossbow for your replies.they are much appreciated.
I've just been perusing the reviews on PMMS and having a look at the links to Pics etc.There's a lot of info there if needed.
All the best
Pete
sighbeerguy
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 79 posts
Armorama: 13 posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2003 - 05:30 PM UTC
Greetings to all,
My first post to this forum-
Regarding the K5 (e) railgun, I did spend a lot of time readng the Perth milt. modeling soc. comparison of the Dragon vs. Trumpeter, and I ended up buying the Trump. kit.
Yup, big box stuffed with lots of parts, and it will keep me busy for the winter. Great detail!
But be aware that most of the extra parts that come with the Trump. model are fitted to the underside of the wheel trucks.
And you need a penlight and a dental mirror to appreciate the bits.

andy
Mar-74
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 679 posts
Armorama: 409 posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2003 - 04:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Does anyone know of any 1:35 scale German locomotives or track etc because I have this crazy idea of adding more track and perhaps a tunnel mouth and even a loco.

doesn't dragon do them? Ive read before that they do or used to. I also consider this but on reading the review theres a difference in the track sizes between the two versions so you'd it probably wouldn't work unless of course your cars and engine are of the same width.
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2003 - 06:08 AM UTC
Hi Martin
I know that Dragon do/did a flat wagon with embankment and track at one stage, but I'm not sure about any Loco's etc.I've been surfing the net for info on the Guns and the only thing i can't find is pictures of the tunnels they hid in around Anzio.If you or anyone else knows where i can find such pics it would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Pete
boosahmer
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 651 posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2003 - 06:35 AM UTC
Hi Pete-
I have been looking around for a locomotive to pair with the Trumpeter K5 also. It appears that CMK makes one, about $350.00
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2003 - 12:26 PM UTC
Just read tonight that Pocketbond have said that all trumpeter railgun kits distributed by them in the UK will be supplied with a free copy of the Squadron Signal "German railroad guns in action " book worth £8.95 as a bonus. The kit is priced as £79.95.
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2003 - 05:08 PM UTC
Hi Plasticbattle
You are quite correct,Pocketbond are supplying the Squadron book with each kit. It's quite a handy little publication to have for a reference work.
All the best
Pete
 _GOTOTOP