_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Rookie DML Panther A.
thewrongguy
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 448 posts
Armorama: 306 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 - 01:51 PM UTC
IMG_1668
Hi all.

This is my Dragon Panther A kit 6358. I added a Cavalier zimmerit kit, archer dry transfers and a couple figures from the DML "Actung Jabo" set.

This is my 2nd kit since coming back to the hobby after a 10 years hiatus and my first German tank ever built. Its also my first sort of multimedia kit. Working with resin zimmerit was a bit of an experience. I still greatly prefer allied equipment but the kit makes me want to take a crack at a panzer I, II or III some time in the future. German stuff isn't my forte, so hopefully there isn't too many glaring historical errors.

I'm pretty happy with how its turned out. I'm especially glad that this is the 1st set of figures Ive made that don't look like they just stepped out of a burn ward.

Anyways any comments or suggestions appreciated.

Jeff
tsreid
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 77 posts
Armorama: 74 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 - 02:13 PM UTC
Looks really good. I like the camo job on it. I really enjoyed building that kit, I thought it went together real well. Any other photos from other angles?
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 - 02:45 PM UTC
Yes please, more photos!

I wouldn't worry too much about glaring historical errors from the newer Dragon German kits, just build them up nice like you are and have fun learning new stuff
chris1
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
Armorama: 139 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2011 - 05:37 PM UTC
One Word

SWEET

Chris
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 - 04:59 AM UTC
NICE job!

More pics, please!

Bob
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 - 05:21 AM UTC
Well you should be happy with it,fantastic work,figures look great also
thewrongguy
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 - 06:22 AM UTC
Thanks for all the kind words. But also thanks to everyone on Armorama that had patience to answer a lot of questions while I was working on this.

When money gets a little less tight I'm hoping to get a telephoto lens so I can get more detail shots. Actually I should get a new tripod because I was terrified of my camera doing a nose plant while I was taking these.

IMG_1669" BORDER="0">
IMG_1670
IMG_1677

I was trying to go for a relatively fresh tank, recently arrived in France. Some operating wear and tear but hadn't come into contact with allied troops yet.

Figures aren't perfect but they're are a HUGE step forward for me. Folk Art craft paint worked for me of all things. Improving ground work is my next goal.

Thanks once more for the kind words,

Cheers

Jeff
chicane
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 201 posts
Armorama: 161 posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 - 06:44 AM UTC
great looking panther well done
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 - 07:21 AM UTC
Thanks for the additional photos, this is great stuff! I'm really impressed with how the cheap acrylics worked. I've never had good luck with them except for painting small gaming pieces.

Just get a cheap $20 tripod, they all work the same for the purposes you'll be using it for
jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 719 posts
Armorama: 566 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2011 - 02:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

IMG_1668
Hi all.

This is my Dragon Panther A kit 6358. I added a Cavalier zimmerit kit, archer dry transfers and a couple figures from the DML "Actung Jabo" set.

This is my 2nd kit since coming back to the hobby after a 10 years hiatus and my first German tank ever built. Its also my first sort of multimedia kit. Working with resin zimmerit was a bit of an experience. I still greatly prefer allied equipment but the kit makes me want to take a crack at a panzer I, II or III some time in the future. German stuff isn't my forte, so hopefully there isn't too many glaring historical errors.

I'm pretty happy with how its turned out. I'm especially glad that this is the 1st set of figures Ive made that don't look like they just stepped out of a burn ward.

Anyways any comments or suggestions appreciated.

Jeff

That looks really good! I have that same kit in the closet waiting it's turn.

How did the Cavalier Zimm set fit? It looks great on your Panther.... any words of wisdom getting them to look so good?

All in all... tremendous build. Thumbs up!

Regards,
Jeff
thewrongguy
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2011 - 05:24 AM UTC
Jeremy: I did do the skin tones with vallejo paints, but the uniform with the craft stuff. I would paint a coat, hit it with a hairdryer for a minute then move on to highlight or shadows with really thin paint in a bunch of coats. Like 8:1 water/paint ratio. First time I did it and I'm happy with how it worked.

Jeff: The Cavalier Zimm set was really nice. It came with resin zimmerit stowage boxes for the back, but mine had bubbles in it so I used the kit piece. The resin mantlet didn't didn't fit with the kit's aluminum barrel (I think my set was for an older kit), but I just drilled it out till it fit. I asked on the forums what glue I should use for the zimmerit sheets and 5 minute epoxy was recommended. I used white glue because I was afraid 5 minutes wasn't enough time to position it. White glue worked but I would go epoxy next time for strength. The white glue didn't seem to keep the edges down and I spent forever with a toothpick and glue fishing it under lifting edges to fix it.
 _GOTOTOP