_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Revell 1:72 Panther Ausf. G
Krieg-Hammer
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 106 posts
Armorama: 92 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 06:30 AM UTC
As you can see, the 1:72 scale is a very small and fiddly model. Especially during assembly! Before I tackle the 1:35 scale models I wanted to get practise in with an airbrush and try some weathering techniques for the first time. From this, maybe not over do it with crushed pastel next time. Has been fun to build, but I know where I can make some improvement now. Any feedback would be appreciated, good or bad. This is my first ever build using airbrushes and things.

Enjoy!

Revell Panther Tank by Krieg-Hammer, on Flickr

Revell 1:72 Panther by Krieg-Hammer, on Flickr

Revell 1:72 Panther by Krieg-Hammer, on Flickr
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 07:08 AM UTC
I would suggest grinding your pastels to a fine powder, similar to talc. You will also want to give the model a buff coat and a flat coat. This should remove some of your "shiny" spots. I'm not sure if you just forgot or intended to camoflage the tools. But, the handles should be a wood color(Tamiya Desert Yellow works great) and the rest black or gunmetal. The paint looks fine.
Krieg-Hammer
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 11:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I would suggest grinding your pastels to a fine powder, similar to talc. You will also want to give the model a buff coat and a flat coat. This should remove some of your "shiny" spots. I'm not sure if you just forgot or intended to camoflage the tools. But, the handles should be a wood color(Tamiya Desert Yellow works great) and the rest black or gunmetal. The paint looks fine.

This is what I did...

1. Base Primer coat (Red)
2. Sprayed Tamiya Dark Yellow
3. Added green and red/brown camo pattern
4. Painted tracks and wheels then glued them on
5. Applied Decals
6. Applied Gloss Varnish
7. Applied an oil wash using 502 Abteilung dark brown
8. Wicked excess oil wash away
9. Used a lead pencil to metal up panel edges
10. Applied matt varnish
11. Applied crushed pastel and dowsed with IPA

Anyway, first stab at all of this. Came out not too bad. I am sure I could change the order of things or maybe add extra processes in?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 12:11 PM UTC
It is a nice looking build. I thought you would benifit more from the critisism. It is recomended that you apply a gloss coat before the decals, but yours turned out perfect. The las thing you should do is flat coat it. Too much IPA is probably what accounts for the glossy appearance. I too paint the tracks before the final assembly. On the 1/35 you may also want to apply a filter and a buffing coat. This will help to blend the edges of your camo. Also, you may want to leave your road wheels off to aid in ease of painting. I have a circle cutter I use to make the masks for road wheels. You should be able to locate one at your local arts and crafts supply store. Mine paid for itself with one use. Cut your mask from masking tape. Just remember that you are supposed to be enjoying it. All about the fun.
Krieg-Hammer
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 07:53 PM UTC
Yes you are certainly right. I did notice after sploshing IPA all over to 'fix' the pastel it left shiny spots. Perhaps I should apply another coat of clear matt to dull everything down.

To be honest, I wasnt sure if I need to dowse the 'dust' on top of the hull with IPA. Its clear now that IPA is for clumps of mud and not really ideal as an applicator for dust.

If applying dust in the future, say MIG European dust, do I just brush it on lightly in the crevasses or do I need to have it as a light paste? When I tried the crushed pastel as paste for a dust applicator, it just smeared and didnt look good
 _GOTOTOP