_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
My Maz 537 G Build forum w/ a BTR 70
WilliamDeCicco
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 373 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 05:30 AM UTC
I just got this kit the trumpeter maz 537 g mid / late production w a btr 70 to do until the trains campaign starts in November. I am just Waitting for the photo etch to come in so I can start this kit. I will be start putting up pictures as soon as I get that stuff in. I always wanted to do one of these but couldn't afford it an I can now why not do one. I never did a soviet peice before It's always been untied states stuff so it'll be interesting to learn the history behind these kits an see if I can produce a dio I can be proud of an everyone can be inspired by like I get inspired by other peoples kits an dio' s.

I hope I can start soon because I need practice for the train campaign.And please feel free to point any mistakes or that is wrong with the kits so I can do the best job possible so I can bring it to a contest or a show an maybe win. I know with the help with this site I can because the people here are the most wonderful in the world an are very knowledgeable.

Happy modeling
William DeCicco

This is just what I got in the mail today.
4-BO-Green
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 270 posts
Armorama: 230 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 03:50 AM UTC
William,

From the 3 maz tank transporters you got the one who is most wrong, and need a lot of study and fixing. I also bought this one with a discount. Also i played with the thought of having a BTR-70 on it. My ''load'' of choice is a T-62 mod 1972 with MIG upgrade of the taliban conversion.

I think you made a good choice of making it with the BTR-70. I don't know you're setting, but i would make it a 1979/1980 vehicle. First things first, whats wrong with the kit.

- THE WHEELS. The wheels are not the correct size. I see that you bought one of the two upgrade sets for the maz. A small disappointment is that the upgrade sets are booth wrong. The upgrade you bought, i also bought. The inner hoodcap is a bit to small, but it is fixable with some stirine strips glued together and sanded smooth and round. These wheels are primarily used on the early and mid transporters.

-THE FENDERS. The fenders on the early kits have the correct ''v'' shape. on the later and latest trucks they where all straight. BUT, you can walk away with it becouse in my tankograd books i see that there is an interim type that houses the early and mid characteristics. The so called Early late type has the early wheels and v shape fenders.

I think if you look on the Perth military modeling site, you find a review on this kit with all the flaws. If you want some specific data i can dig a bit deeper in my tankograd books for info.

Its a nice kit

Regards,

Remco
WilliamDeCicco
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 03:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

William,

From the 3 maz tank transporters you got the one who is most wrong, and need a lot of study and fixing. I also bought this one with a discount. Also i played with the thought of having a BTR-70 on it. My ''load'' of choice is a T-62 mod 1972 with MIG upgrade of the taliban conversion.

I think you made a good choice of making it with the BTR-70. I don't know you're setting, but i would make it a 1979/1980 vehicle. First things first, whats wrong with the kit.

- THE WHEELS. The wheels are not the correct size. I see that you bought one of the two upgrade sets for the maz. A small disappointment is that the upgrade sets are booth wrong. The upgrade you bought, i also bought. The inner hoodcap is a bit to small, but it is fixable with some stirine strips glued together and sanded smooth and round. These wheels are primarily used on the early and mid transporters.

-THE FENDERS. The fenders on the early kits have the correct ''v'' shape. on the later and latest trucks they where all straight. BUT, you can walk away with it becouse in my tankograd books i see that there is an interim type that houses the early and mid characteristics. The so called Early late type has the early wheels and v shape fenders.

I think if you look on the Perth military modeling site, you find a review on this kit with all the flaws. If you want some specific data i can dig a bit deeper in my tankograd books for info.

Its a nice kit

Regards,

Remco

Thank you for the information so far an think with your help an others I can do good job. Because it looks like you are the expert that knows everything about this kit. I was also looking at doing the t-62 mod because the pe is going to take 20 30 days to get to me from China I think so I need to do something till then. I picked the btr-70 was just at a yard sale an thought way not. I opened the box an was disappointmented that it had that cheap old plastic .But now you gave me anthor idea of a t-62 something that has caught my eye ever since there book on how to build a t-62 came out. What type or better manufacturer do you think is the best out there with all of the aftermarket stuff to add to it you recommend would look good enough for the soviet Afghanistan war. From PE to resin wheels to metal barrel etc. I should be ordering it tomorrow or the next. I'm appreciative of the help so far an looking forward to your help in the future I just wanted to say thanks again. And I hope I can finish this kit because I haven't finished a kit in years. Both the t62 an the maz 537g.

Happy modeling
William DeCicco
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 04:53 PM UTC
Oh man, I've had my eyes on this kit for a while now. Looking forward to this build!

Remco: Double thanks for the info
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
Armorama: 4,727 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 05:03 PM UTC
Thanks Remco for the info too.

I'm hoping to find the Voyager PE sets for the MAZ.

William, the T62 from trumpeter already has a metal gun barrel, there's a Polish manufacturer that has a nice resin stowage that fits the Afghan Invasion (give me a few days and find the set...) and Voyager has some sets for the Trumpeter kit, Aber and Eduard have some PE sets for the T-55m not sure I they had for the T-62.
4-BO-Green
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 09:24 PM UTC
William,

If you want to buy a T-62, make it the model1972. I bought the 1962 model. Its possible that it was transported on the late MAZ, but is hard to make it believe...

Its also a idea to make different vehicles, and place them on it if you go to a meeting or a convention. First a BTR, then the T-62 or a T-72 and so on...

First i look for you the MAZ resin and photo etch stuff.

Regards,

Remco
WilliamDeCicco
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2011 - 02:56 PM UTC
This site is the BEST THANK YOU Everybody for the info an encouragement an the inspiring ideas that I was truly hopping I was go to get an the different vehicle ideas sounds like a great idea how would I change the tanks or vehicle if they were chained down into place so ur saying I don't have to glue the chains into place.Where are some places I can buy different size chains for different options for ideas. And the resin storage would be nice would be better than the PE ones I think but to get that worn out used look the PE ones might be better I don't know I will post both an see what people think an I'll go from there. I ordered the Trumpeter T-62 for the first kit with the PE from Eduard an the track links. I forgot who but I will getting them Thursday and I'll post what I get an hopefully start building by Friday.It's been awhile since I built a model an I am getting the excited feeling again It's been hard for me to build one.I have been in a funk for awhile. The help so far has been amazing an I just subscribed to the kitmaker for $ 3.95 a month so I'll have plenty of photo space to post pictures.

thanks again everyone an I hope I can make everyone proud an I'll do my best to follow everyones advie.I appreciate it. As long as I keep get the support from this site like I have been I think I can make it. An if I do go to a show or competition I will give credit for all the people who have helped me an make a banner promoting this site an how wonderful this is because it is the best site ever.

Happy Modeling
William DeCicco
4-BO-Green
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2011 - 08:18 PM UTC
Haha William,

Glad to help you, that is why where here. You made a good choice for the Eduard PE. It's verry friendly to work with and not to difficult to go wrong with.

Regards,

Remco
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 953 posts
Armorama: 705 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2011 - 09:55 PM UTC
Good luck William.....
WilliamDeCicco
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2011 - 12:21 PM UTC
Just a quick update. I thought I was going to get my stuff today but FedEx screwed up my delivery an I hope I can get the package soon because I want to start a model but now who knows when I get the kit. That is why I use UPS from now on an the company I use went with FedEx but I told them if I order anything else ever again I want them to use UPS or I will not order from them.

But besides that with this kit can I get a tamiya t-72 an use that on the maz an have it look accurate on this kit an is there any photo etching or resin or tracks I can use for the t-72 from either tamiya or any other companies that produce a good kit. I want to start a soviet tank. Before I go into a funk again and not want to model.

Happy modeling
William DeCicco
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2011 - 12:34 PM UTC
Zvezda's T-72 has link and length tracks. No flash to speak of. I am not sure if they are the correct tracks for Tamiya's T-72M1, though.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2011 - 03:08 AM UTC
No hassel building....Tamiya T-55 or Trumpeter T-62 m72. RUN, don't walk, to get the kits and build them before you loose your desire for the best armor, red armor.
WilliamDeCicco
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2011 - 03:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No hassel building....Tamiya T-55 or Trumpeter T-62 m72. RUN, don't walk, to get the kits and build them before you loose your desire for the best armor, red armor.

I got the kits in today and first and foremost thanks for the support everybody it's helping me keep focused and will see if the red Armour is funnier to build then the USA Armour which is basically the M1 A1 Abrams and you can only build that so many times before it gets old building. At least there is a lot of T-62 T-55 T-72 T-80 T-90 ' s s out there from all different countries so let's start with the trumpeter T-62 and go from there.

Here's a picture of what I got so far and I'll plan on start building the kit tonight or tomorrow depends on what the girlfriend wants everyone knows how that works.

Happy Modeling
William E. DeCicco

WilliamDeCicco
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2011 - 01:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I got the kits in today and first and foremost thanks for the support everybody it's helping me keep focused and will see if the red Armour is funnier to build then the USA Armour which is basically the M1 A1 Abrams and you can only build that so many times before it gets old building. At least there is a lot of T-62 T-55 T-72 T-80 T-90 ' s s out there from all different countries so let's start with the trumpeter T-62 and go from there.

Here is some updates from step one that I did so far from Friday when I got the kit. I just want everyone to know I am enjoying the kit so far and that I am still being inspired by comments from everyone and would like to know if this is correct an accurate an here is some pictures.

Happy modeling
William DeCicco

Here's a picture of what I got so far and I'll plan on start building the kit tonight or tomorrow depends on what the girlfriend wants everyone knows how that works.

Happy Modeling
William E. DeCicco

WilliamDeCicco
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2011 - 01:46 PM UTC

Here is some updates from the trumpeter t-62 that I got in the mail Friday and wanted everyone to know that I am still inspired an ready for some input to see if I am doing the right thing and if there accurate enough an if there is anything else I can do to improve the quality and accuracy of that step.

Happy modeling
William DeCicco

Another picture of it on the instructions.
WilliamDeCicco
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 12:31 PM UTC
I started the step two an I'm sanding the parts and started glueing them together an will post some updates of the finished step.I don't want to post every little thing I do because it will be to many pictures. I just want to let everyone know that I am doing something with the trumpeter T-62 everyday an tring to keep my self inspired.

Happy modeling
William DeCicco
WilliamDeCicco
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2011 - 10:04 AM UTC
I got the tracks cleaned up an now I don't know how to put them together I never worked with individual tracks before an don't know how to put them together is there any tricks or do I glue them together with regular super glue or watered down white glue brushed over the tracks so they will sag like the real tracks. Is there any other ways I would greatly appreciative it.

Happy modeling
William Edward DeCicco

WilliamDeCicco
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 23, 2011 - 10:11 AM UTC

I started the MIG production t-62 M1 taliban update for the trumpeter t-62 also while I was doing the individual tracks. Just a progress report for me to keep myself motivated an any comments welcome would be appreciated or if there are any mistakes that need to be fixed or any super-detailing that I can add.

Happy modeling
William DeCicco
4-BO-Green
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 06:24 AM UTC
Hey William,

I see you have been busey! If you have difficulties with some parts, and wonder if you doing it correct, look for photos on the internet and ask the guys here. They are more than willing to help you.

Youre build looks great!! Keep on going!

Regards,

Remco
WilliamDeCicco
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 - 12:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey William,

I see you have been busey! If you have difficulties with some parts, and wonder if you doing it correct, look for photos on the internet and ask the guys here. They are more than willing to help you.

Youre build looks great!! Keep on going!

Regards,

Remco

Thank you and I'm trying to stay focused an motivated an your comments have helped me. There are some steps that have me stumped an I'll post some pictures when I can .

Happy modeling
William DeCicco
heliman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 604 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 - 02:19 PM UTC
I've been eyeing the same MAZ kit for a few weeks. My lhs has the "last' version in stock of the tractor, but then would need to find the trailer....

looks like you have a great start going , following along.

Jeff
WilliamDeCicco
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2011 - 02:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've been eyeing the same MAZ kit for a few weeks. My lhs has the "last' version in stock of the tractor, but then would need to find the trailer....

looks like you have a great start going , following along.

Jeff

Thank-you for the complements and I will try and do my best to inspire you with my build but not sure how well I will do but I will do my best an hope to get other members to help me through this build so I can bring out the best in my skills an hopefully help others in this long build.

Happy modeling
William DeCicco
heliman
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 604 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 30, 2011 - 07:23 AM UTC
I just ordered the same kit..we'll help each other out!!!

Does the PE set seem pretty good? I found one from Voyager...but unsure if it really needs it?
Jeff
4-BO-Green
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, July 30, 2011 - 11:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Does the PE set seem pretty good? I found one from Voyager...but unsure if it really needs it?
Jeff

Jeff,

If your MAZ really need it, depends on you. I have the kit, tankograd wheels and all PE sets. I want my MAZ to look great. I like the small details they add to the build, but some detail is a bit overdone. Then its better to leave the kitpart on its place and let the PE part out...Thats up to you.

I reccomend the PE sets on this kit if you want it to make it from a nice kit till a stunner (if your PE skills are good ofcourse).

Regards,

Remco
WilliamDeCicco
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2011 - 02:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jeff

If I had the voyager stuff when this kit first came out I would have used it because it comes with the correct wheels now I think I'll put up a photo when I can I got mine from china an took a long time but it was worth the wait for the price. Good luck an I can't wait to see everyones build this is keeping me motivated an focus on mine own build keep it coming everyone. I appreciate the interest in this kit I thought people thought it was to big of a kit last time it took me a year to build and paint the kit but didn't weather it.

I built this kit when it first came out but stuff happened an now I loved doing this kit I wanted to do another one. An as I said earlier now I'm blessed with pe and resin will make this a show stopper.

Happy modeling
William DeCicco
 _GOTOTOP