_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Unhappy Stugs
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
Armorama: 4,727 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 04:12 AM UTC
A few months ago I started a small project, 3 Stugs - 3 Guns..

So far I managed to finish 2 of them, I'm not happy with the final results, but it was a nice comeback from 3 year-modeling vacation... only now I got the time to post the pics,
The Stug G with a 10.5 howitzer, a Tamyia kit .

And the Stug B, from Tamyia too, I'm sorry about the pics it was a sunny day, too many reflections, in the shadow the flash kicked in and added too much brightness, anyway this kit is very good, I truly recommend it, no flaws, perfect fitting, good PE + metal gun barrel, a nice interior, good decal sheet, perfect.

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 04:49 AM UTC
Your hatches should be the same as your camo on both sides. White hatches make for an inviting target.
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 05:23 AM UTC
Thanks Matt !!
I'll keep that in mind for my next build, since I'm still one Stug short to finish the project.
I'll have to finish some Campaigns first .
Thanks for the advice !
J.
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,394 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 05:53 AM UTC
Hi, I always noticed the stugs look better when they have some gear stored on them - maybe a tarp or box. A figure would dress them up too.
Krieg-Hammer
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 106 posts
Armorama: 92 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 07:03 AM UTC
I like these. I'd certainly be pleased with them. What paint did you use for the panzer grey and sand.

Thanks
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 10:03 AM UTC
@Greg:
I was considering some resin stowage set at the time, maybe for the third Stug that is still waiting I'll reck some jerrycans and 200l Oil drums, but sure yet.
The figure would be nice since the Tamyia kit had 2 but honestly I can't paint figures, always look like crap so I end up scraping them...

@Rob:
Thanks Rob !
For the Stug B, I first primed it with some Red Hull TS-33 Tamyia Rattle can, and then used a Tamiya TS-4 Grey. Then washed with a mix of brown and black.
For the Stug G, I first primed it with Tamyia TS-4 German Grey and then used TS-3 dark yellow,but here I used some Mig Filters.
Krieg-Hammer
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 106 posts
Armorama: 92 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 10:20 AM UTC
Nice. I quite fancy a Stug or a Panzer III for my next build. Will be in grey or the sand colour. Did you use the mig powder pigments? Ie Europe dust?
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 04:26 PM UTC
Yes Rob, I used 3 pigments, Track brown for the tracks, and for the lowerhull, on the Dark yellow Stug Russian Earth P034 and on the Stug B, I mixed it with DryMud P232.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 04:38 PM UTC
Nice work John! The Stug B is one of my favs, and I have the Tamiya kit too. It's one of the few good things I've found at Hobby Lobby. I have read about problems with the suspension and tracks, but it sounds like you didn't have this issue?
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2011 - 01:11 AM UTC
Jeremy that Stug B is a great kit, PE grills, metal gun barrel, interior, Tamyia fitting quality, good instructions.
The problems you mention, I found none. The suspension is movable, it has some metal springs, but the only thing is when your are painting and putting the wheels well moves a little, no big deal.. the tracks are typical Tamyia, glueing and painting and applying pigments I found no problems at all.
I was away from the hobby for 2 years and these Stugs were the "comeback kits", that Stug B was a perfect kit, if it wasn't for this global crisis I would consider buying a few more and build the other versions on the decal sheet...
 _GOTOTOP