_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Tiger I Damage. Opinions?
SpclOprtv15
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 05:10 PM UTC
Hey guys,

After doing a bit of research and what not, I decided to try my luck at some armor(First time ever ). A lot of the reference pics I found of the tiger showed that the side skirts that cover the tracks typically had bends and other damage types. Whether these were mainly battle scars or just good ole' redneck rough-housing interested me. Any ways i decided to try and replicate this common wear and tear. My question is this...

Did i go overboard? Hows it look? Any opinions are welcome. I'll scratch some new skirts if need be.

Paul-H
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 234 posts
Armorama: 207 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 11:23 PM UTC
Hi

They look just about right to me, you could completely lose the odd side skirt as well as they often got ripped of driving down narrow village streets.

They should look just fine when painted and weathered.

Although you could try to make the edges that show thinner as the plastic used is quite a bit thicker than scale thickness.

What model are you building.

Paul
SpclOprtv15
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2011 - 03:17 AM UTC
1:48 Skybow #TP-4833

It came with photo-etched detail sets and a set of warriors resin crews
richardw
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 34 posts
Armorama: 25 posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 - 08:41 AM UTC
Hi Carl.
Looks pretty good to me too, but as Paul says, you could maybe ditch a couple of sections and thin the plastic from the underside with a dental burr in your hobby drill.
Also unless you're modelling one of the early Tigers, sent out to Tunisia (pz abt 501 and 503 I think) you should dump the air cleaners off the rear. If memory serves, (I'm at work and my reference books are at home ) they were only fitted to try and prolong engine life in sandy conditions, but proved to be more of a problem than they were worth, vulnerable to damage and clogging up.
A nice looking little model on the whole. Keep us posted with the build.
Richard
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,716 posts
Armorama: 1,638 posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 - 02:58 PM UTC
Hey Carl ... one thing i like when it comes to track guard damage is using PE ones ..being metal they can be damaged pretty much exactly like the real thing and because they are much thinner than plastic thats a added benefit and like the guys are saying ..loose one or two of them lol

Phill
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 - 09:09 PM UTC
If you have a steady hand, you could use aluminum foil for the side skirts. You'll just have to be careful about not touching them once they are finished.
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,716 posts
Armorama: 1,638 posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 - 09:29 PM UTC
Matt was just thinking something on what you said ..alloy is a neat idea cause if you hit it even accidently it will still look battle damaged and hell for all ya know might look even better than PE guards ..oh i gotta try this lol

Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 - 09:55 PM UTC
Hi Carl

They look very good in my very humble opinion. Of course, metal ones will look better, but you could improve your damages just thinning your fenders with an x-acto curved blade

cheers
lukiftian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 791 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2011 - 05:18 PM UTC
Ditch the bowed out panel, with it the hull looks like it was hit by a mine and that would also have taken out a section of track and several wheels, in fact the force would have blown that off entirely. Otherwise, as recommended.
 _GOTOTOP