_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
"First Snow" Barbarosa 2003!!!!!
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2003 - 07:26 PM UTC
here are pics of my finished Stug III B dio for the Barbarosa Campaign. Everthing is from DML. The base is made from salt dough, and the snow is from woodland scenics!!! here are some pics!!!!

The spot on the horse has been retouched, also reins are done in leadfoil as are the straps for stirups. Comments are welcome STUG
Foxy
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 332 posts
Armorama: 220 posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2003 - 08:11 PM UTC
nice one
Fritz
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 495 posts
Armorama: 140 posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2003 - 08:21 PM UTC
Really good looking dio there, a really nice job. I would like to point out a few things though, the faces are quite monotone. I suggest you put a wash of burnt sienna(oil paint) or any other brown paint that would match. Also their uniforms are a bit the same. How about drybrushing to add some depth? Lastly the whole thing seems quite clean. try adding more mud. It would definitely look better.
I hope you would take these in as constructive criticism. But I do think that your dio looks nice.
:-) :-)
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2003 - 09:00 PM UTC
congrats steveus..first snow effect on the stug is great
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2003 - 11:37 PM UTC
Stug, the build on the everything looks very well done. Very nice, very solid, good work.

Take my snow comments in context with your title. If they've moved at all then these apply.
Couple of points on the snow, based on some photos I'v seen, I would add some snow to the tracks and running wheels. I would also put some ruts where the AFV has been. Muddy up the snow behind the tank. The way I would do this is use dilute white glue and apply it with a toothpick, then spinkle the "snow" on. Two ideas for coloring the snow a muddy color, either add a drop of brown to the dilute white glue or wait till the snow drys on the AFV then ligthly apply a brown wash to it. I haven't tried the first one, it just came to me now.
If they haven't moved then I would add some scuffles on the AFV as if the crew has just gotten in and is preparing to leave.

One idea on the base, take some strips of contruction paper and glue them on to add a nice finishing detail.
So to wrap up on a positive note - I really like the tree. That came out well. I love seeing 'different' elements in a dio and the horse hits that mark . The Stug came out great. I do like the tracks, the color and sag are great.
I like the fact that the base isn't square! Cool.
Selrach
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 466 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 04:35 AM UTC
Nice work Steve Looks great.

Just a little nit pick, I think I'd put some snow on the running gear and tracks. Maybe build up some on the outsides of the tracks, or carve away sone of the base under the tracks, and where the tracks have gone through the snow, so the tracks look more sunk into the snow. Maybe giving it the illusion of weight :-) .. And maybe a little mud mixed in with that.

Looks great tho, I like it
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 04:58 AM UTC
Here are the new pics. I did the suggested more snow!!! tried the dry brush but the effect didn't take. I hate figures!!!! I added some clear gloss with some Snow to show where the crew would have moved around and where the horse is standing. Also the area behind the tank has gotten some nice chewed up snow and muck!!!

Again comments are welcome!!!

Any suggestions for later figs will be appreciated!! STUG
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 05:45 AM UTC
Stug
Nice Nice Nice.
I love the clear gloss for foot prints!!! Cool idea. The stug is really now part of the base instead on On the base.
Nice ruts!
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 06:11 AM UTC
Scott, thanks for the suggestion of making footprints!!! I figured the prints would be "wet" so I used the gloss to fake the water from the melted snow!!! STUG
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 11:42 AM UTC
Steve

Another piece of your Fine craftmanship.
I actually can`t add that much as everything I wanted to post in the first batch of pics was solved in the Second. The footprints on the back deck and around the hatches really do good and give the vehicle a more life appearance. I don`t know how much the Motor generates of heat.. maybe that would be visible on the backdeck too when it cones to melting snow.. But I really have no Clue of that so I think the Footprints are very good.
In my opinion you could even dirty her up with more mud espacially on the front and the fenders. The traffic in those days made a nice mixture of snow and mud wich made the tanks look like beasts.. But that`s something I would do

Further then that the tank and the figs look very good.

My 2 (euro) cents

turrettoad13
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 490 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 11:55 AM UTC
Good job Steve. I agree with everyone above. Especially like the footprints in the snow. Maybe dirty it up a bit as suggested by others above. Overall, looking good. Maybe try denting a fender just for an aged look?
jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 719 posts
Armorama: 566 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 04:32 PM UTC
I like the scene - very good composition... Normally I don't like the "dude" pointing, but I do like it in this case. I think the fact that you had TWO figures pointing in the same direction, with the guy looking through the field glasses..... lends a sense of urgency... I like it!

Very cool scene - thumbs up from me!

Later-
Jeff
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 04:51 PM UTC
Thanks guys, especially Slodder. He gave the idea fro the scleared spots for th crew accessing the tank!!!

SS-74 for recommending the DML SS Cavalry set which became my Horse back recon rider.

Mr. Roo for suggesting a recon briefing. His Idea was to use a Schwimmwagen 166 and 2 or 3 figs in discussion over a map. Unfortunatly I don't know when to not do research and found that they only entered production 1 month after our time frame for the Campaign (January '42 the first units arrived at frontline units!!!) Sorry cliff but the idea is still yours.

Finally, thanks to Faust and Greta they are last minute inspiration for the "First Snow" title and ti try a snow effect!!! thanks to everyone who helped and commented!!! STUG
octupus
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 411 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 08:36 PM UTC
SteveStug,

I think I will be that lucky to see your dio in person soon.
By the way, the dio looks nice, what did you use for making the snow? Baking soda? or Baby powder?

stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2003 - 09:23 PM UTC
Sushi, the Snow was from woodland scenics and is called; believe it or not, SNOW. just spray diluted white glue and then srinkle on the snow!!! SNOW
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 05:32 AM UTC
Very nice dio. Stug. It tells the story very well. Great work on the snow as well, very impressive.
SOW1
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 10:40 PM UTC
I know ho long you muddled over how to o this dio, and i'm glad you went with first snow.. very well done... i even had fun making the dough for you... (++)
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2003 - 11:59 AM UTC
Thanks for your comments and help. I think it came out well. Any further comments are welcome STUG
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2003 - 12:15 PM UTC
Lovely little dio Stug. Everything looks in place and the sense of a story/action is nice. The now looks really effective .. something worth loking into!! I love the damaged tree.... with the addition of the blackening. Another thing I might use again. Nice one!!
Selrach
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 466 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2003 - 06:33 PM UTC
Looks great Steve
Excellent job on the snow and where the foot prints are. The ruts look great too.
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,088 posts
Armorama: 1,257 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 09:57 PM UTC
Steve,
The dio looks very nice I ecspecially like the footprints on the back of the stug and the Horse rider just adds that little bit extra. Good on you!!!!
 _GOTOTOP