_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
idea - Armormaniac of the month
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 04:47 AM UTC
I just came up with an idea. I think it would be cool to each month have all the registered useres of the site vote for one "Armormaniac" of the month. Then we could put together a profile of that person and their work. We could call it something else or have some other system of voting but I think it would be a cool way to get to know each other, especailly those who contribute so much to the site and message boards. What does everyone else think of this?
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,718 posts
Armorama: 1,130 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 05:16 AM UTC
I vote YES.

staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 05:56 AM UTC
Andrew,
Sounds like a great idea to me. To make it work we would need to limit the field somewhat. I can't do a poll with 660 people.

I guess perhaps a nomination process and then a few weeks to collect votes?

More suggestions?

Jim

TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,718 posts
Armorama: 1,130 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 06:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Andrew,
Sounds like a great idea to me. To make it work we would need to limit the field somewhat. I can't do a poll with 660 people.

I guess perhaps a nomination process and then a few weeks to collect votes?

More suggestions?

Jim

Ya, nomination by the Seniors Officers, and votes during the last week of the month.

drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 08:17 AM UTC
It's easy to come up with an idea, much harder to work out the details. I know that we would have to do something along the lines of what you mentioned of limiting the final vote. I just thought it would be cool to recognize some of the wise sages on the site. Whatever system you come up with for the idea (if you go with it at all) I will fully support.

Also, we don't have to stick with the name Armormaniac, its mainly an attention getter for the thread.
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 08:30 AM UTC
Sounds like it could be fun. :-)
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 793 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 08:42 AM UTC
I'm in up to my neck. Great idea let's go for the gusto!!

Jack
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
Armorama: 401 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 10:04 AM UTC
sounds like a plan to me...
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 10:19 AM UTC
Cool Idea :-) :-)

Matt
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 02:13 PM UTC
Well, now that it seems some others like the idea also, maybe we should come up with some more ideas on how to do it or what it should be. it would be nice to have the person get something. Maybe we could have some type of donation system where anyone that wanted to participate could send in $5 or something and from there we could give the winner a gift certificate to an advertiser on the site or something. If we got a coulple dozen people to donate we could save it up and have enough to cover 6 months to a year of gift certificates. Maybe the advertiser would be willing to match funds also.

The main reason I got the idea was to recognise the poeple who help novice builders like myself so much. There isn't a lot that many of us can do to repay the experts for all they do and this just seems like a way to recognise them and thank them. We don't have to have any rewards, just thought it would be nice and another way to thank them. I also think it would be fun to learn more about these guys (or gals) and see more of their work.

I am glad that others like the idea also. I would also like to see others come up with ideas to make this idea better to. So go ahead and throw up your ideas to improve the idea along with wether you like it or not.
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 04:53 PM UTC
:-) Magazines such as FSM/ MMiR/ and Military Modelcraft International might be persuaded to part with say a years subscription.

We would need (hint, hint, Jim) someone to throw the idea onto their drawing table. I think the idea has merit and will help to enhance and improve this already excellent sight even further through greater participation. Call it the 101% synrome.

Jack's 2 Euro Cents
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,454 posts
Armorama: 330 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 07:35 PM UTC
Good....Good....Good.....Idea
arthur :-)
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 08:57 PM UTC
Hey, that´s an wonderfull idea, let´s put into practice...
I would say we should chose 5 members per month, and put them into voting...who was chose automatically weren´t eligible for next voting, and the others that participate os the previous voting are already amongst the next voting, choosing more one to fill the place of the one that was elected....
Just an idea!
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 09:02 PM UTC
:-) Good idea Paulo. That is the way model competion should perhaps function!!!

Now all we need is our trusty webmaster to pick up the pices and glue them together. Lol.

Wolfman Jack,
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 09:35 PM UTC
Sounds like a Winner
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
Armorama: 401 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 11:14 PM UTC
Yes, lets give it a whirl to see how it'll work.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 12:41 AM UTC
This idea just keeps getting better and better

Matt
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 03:04 AM UTC
Sounds like a pretty good idea there Andrew......just to get the ball rolling, and to simply 'cut to the chase', I nominate Sabot, Kencelot, & Gunnie right away. Sabot can be 'Mr. June', Kenc' can be 'Mr. July', and Gunnie can be 'Mr. August'. We can even get them satin shoulder sashes to wear around the house.

Tread. :-)

On second thought, we could just make the shoulder sashes ammo bandoliers instead...
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 03:12 AM UTC
I like the idea of presenting the winner with something. Perhaps I can get an online store to do a gift certificate or something. Mission Models would probably do it but as they carry mostly armor related products that might not work for everyone down the road. Let me do some contacting on this.

Jim
puyallup7400
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 93 posts
Armorama: 62 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 08:13 AM UTC
I like the idea very much. Just to gum up the works, how about doing it quarterly instead. Monthly is great and sounds neat. Logistically, monthly can get away from you easily. It's a lot of time and work to try to do it monthly. Time seems to sneak up on up and lap up before you know what happened to the month. The thoughts of a professional procrastinator. I’ll be late for my own funeral.

Dave
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 08:44 AM UTC
How about a temporary 'award' for the winner's sig line for a month? Kinda like the moderator tag. Just a little symbol of regognition. (sp?)

My two cents...

YodaMan
Hee hee, Wings beat Avs... funny!
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2002 - 04:09 AM UTC
Yeah I like that. Maybe the good conduct ribbon. This could be enhanced by the addition of bars "V" etc. It could be a cool little addition, in recognition of contributions to the site.

(I was once foolish enough to have gotten myself nominated for the Navy Cross, which I never received because of a red tape SNAFU. But that's another story. Won't ever go that far again.)

Jack be .....
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2002 - 04:24 AM UTC
So let's ROCK!
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2002 - 04:27 AM UTC
We will need a general guide line. I suggest Jim does it by a sort of survey box? That way the nominees could be listed like the surveys?

Jack be nimble
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2002 - 06:02 AM UTC
Good news. I just got off the phone with Dave Scheel of Military Hobbies and he offered to help with sponsoring this monthly by donating a $20 gift certificate to each winner. Thanks Dave! I will create a special page for this feature and setup the nomination process, timetables, etc. The winners will need to provide some basic info they would be willing to share with the group (nothing to personal) and a picture.

More later....

Jim
 _GOTOTOP