_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Help with Modeling the M7 Priest
trooper173
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 04:03 PM UTC
Hi
Somewhat new to armor modeling and have done a few tanks. I'm looking at modeling the M7 Priest and doing my first diorama with it.
It looks like the Dragon kit would be the best.
Would like your input as to what you feel are the best aftermarket upgrades and also what is out there for figures. Thinking of having the diorama as if in battle and firing the 105.
Thanks for the help
Ken
TimStreeter
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 80 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 05:07 PM UTC
Hi Ken,

I've got some good info for you at my website. This article starts off with info from Kurt Laughlin on 105mm ammo and I conclude with a review of ammo sets and a list of miscellaneous related accessories.

http://www.usarmymodels.com/ARTICLES/105mm%20Ordnance/1%20105mmOverview.html

Cheers,

Tim
BigfootV
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,624 posts
Armorama: 994 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 05:37 PM UTC
Ken,
Check out AFV Club or Friulmodel for the tracks. Eduard has an Interior, Exterior, and Fender set for the aftermarket PE's.
$29.95 for the Interior set. Includes, ammo boxes, driver's panel, and other goodies.
$32.95 for the Exterior set. Includes stowage racks, .50 cal upgrade, and other goodies.
$24.95 for the Fender set. Well, the fenders and side skirts.
Griffon also has a .50 cal upgrade PE also.

See ya in the funnies..............
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 06:11 PM UTC
If I may differ with Brian: I would say NOT to buy aftermarket tracks for the DML M7 HMC. The kit supplied ones are good. Also, since you're new to armor modeling, I'd suggest that the DML kit is pretty sophisticated enough, just OOB. If you buy a pile of stuff for a first build, I bet it will be in inverse proportion to the odds of your actually completing the model.
BigfootV
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,624 posts
Armorama: 994 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 06:15 PM UTC
No harm, no foul Roy.
Paul-H
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 234 posts
Armorama: 207 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 07:35 PM UTC
I'm with Roy on this one.

The Dragon M7 is quite a full build in its own right, especially for someone new to armour modelling. Other than adding ammo and ammo boxes, try it as it is.

I also wouldn't touch the Friul Tracks if this is your first go with them as they are a very difficult set to put together, I know I ended up throwing mine away. The supplied DS Tracks are almost good enough, the only complaint is that once fitted they are a tad on the loose side, but this can easily be hidden in a diarama.

Hope this has been of help

Paul
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 08:39 PM UTC
Ken,

Hi - you don't mention your skill level, so it's hard to say what kinds of AM stuff you'd be comfortable with. I reviewed the DML kit here , and also started a build log here that points out construction issues.

As for AM, I'd say extra ammo and crew kit are a must - M7s were usually "rolling stockpiles" absolutely covered in supplies because of the large crew (7 men) and lack of internal stowage space. If you really want to go with photo-etch, there is also a Voyager set that I'm about to review, but it is very fiddly.

Hope this helps,

Tom
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - 10:58 PM UTC
Just a point on Fruil tracks for the M4 family if I may. I see a lot of people recommend them for Shermans which is one of the vehicles they are patently unsuited to.
Fruil trqcks being white metal drape well which is fine for Soviet, British and German stuff that used "dead" track. The M4 used "Live" track which didn't sag like the German and Russian stuff as it had internal rubber bushes and was kept taught. Look at a photo of a Lee, Sturat, Sherman or Pershing and you will not see sag unless the vehicle is in a very poor state of repair or battle daaged. It is near impossible to get the sag out of Fruil M4 tracks without placed extreme strain on the rear idler.

They are great for broken track dios as is AFV club (T48 and T51) and Panda/RHPS (T41,48,49,51,54,62). The DML DS track for the M4 Series is great but you usually have to shorten it by one or two links.
Cheers
Al
Just my two cents on the subject.
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,015 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 07:40 AM UTC
As for ammo cases: Besides those reviewed in the link above there is also a set of ammo and boxes from AFV-Club as reviewed on this site. They have the benefit of being "plastic" rather then resin.
trooper173
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2011 - 11:28 AM UTC
Hi
Thanks for the replys. They will help greatly.
As for my building level thats a hard one. When I look at the the models on this sight I would have to say from one to ten about a five. I have used afv tracks and found them difficult to work with. They look great when done but hard to keep together as you put them on. I have used some photo etched parts and like them. I know that I have to gained some experience when it comes to shaping some of the parts.
All in all I enjoy building the armor models the most.
Again thanks for the help and I am sure I'll be back asking more questions.
Ken
TimStreeter
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 80 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2011 - 04:39 AM UTC
Ken,

If you're talking about AFV Club indy links, here's a helpful hint: apply a bit of white glue to the end pins before you slip the end connectors on. The glue helps hold the track in place but remains flexible enough to work around the suspension when you put the tracks on.

Tim
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2011 - 09:31 AM UTC
Oooo! That's a good suggestion, I hadn't thought of that, but it does seem a natural.

Thanks!
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2011 - 10:54 AM UTC
I've said it before and I'll say it again, use a small dab of MicroScale Liqui-tape on the ends of the pins. Takes the white glue approach one step further because by it's nature it stays tacky and remains flexible. Works great for AFV Club and Panda links.

Jim
 _GOTOTOP