Hosted by Darren Baker
Finally Done
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2011 - 06:21 AM UTC
Here are few photos of my latest diorama. Thanks for the critiques and comments. I can see this isn't going to win any awards, it was fun doing it and I am not anticipating taking it to any other show than my shelves.

Hope you like it - if you have any questions - just ask.

roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2011 - 07:36 AM UTC
Hi Scott,

You finally made it! Congrats! This was a nice training for the next one, isn't it ? :-)

As you said yourself there are a few possible improvement areas, but the one i want to mention and i think you really rushed through, is the painting of the stairs.
What did you have in mind with this colour scheme?

Cheers
Claude

slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2011 - 08:31 AM UTC
There was lots of learning on this one - the soldering was the biggest new challenge for me. The railings and furniture were all scratch built via soldering brass and wire.
As far as color schemes go, I wanted the overall scheme to be plaster work with stone detail - so toupe and gray. The railing was painted as if it were wrought iron. The green - well that was a whim. I know we talked about the orange window frame color and I thought about changing it until I watched some bicycle racing in Italy and Switzerland. I saw a ton of that type of color in window frames, so I left that one alone.

Too funny - I just noticed my floating M1 - last photo - behind the soldier in the truck - doh.
meaty_hellhound
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 786 posts
Armorama: 753 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2011 - 11:05 AM UTC
nice finished piece Scott, the composition turned out well and you made a unique scene for your collection. congratulations.

as for "winning" awards, you've won the best trophy when you told us you had fun building it. that is a medal that some forget is the most precious. cheers, bd.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2011 - 12:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...as for "winning" awards, you've won the best trophy when you told us you had fun building it. that is a medal that some forget is the most precious. cheers, bd.

I agree. I just went from a M32 ARV to a M32 ARV equipped with a T1E1 mine roller cause oob would be too boring. Gonna cost me $100 extra, but I'll enjoy every minute of it.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2011 - 01:56 PM UTC
Hey Scott, as far as I'm concerned, any finished model or dio is a winner, just seeing them through is a job sometimes. Besides, you had fun you said, that's what counts the most. As far as your floating rifle, the G.I. just thought he leaned it up against the seat to recive his mail, consider it an in action scene.
sfctur1
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 643 posts
Armorama: 497 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2011 - 03:46 PM UTC
Scott
Looks great alot going on. There is something to see all over in it. Would love to see more photos. Keep up the great work,
Tom
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2011 - 06:31 PM UTC
Excellent job Scott, I like the colors you used, brightens things up.
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2011 - 12:16 AM UTC
Thanks everyone. On to the next....
Big-John
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 731 posts
Armorama: 711 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2011 - 12:49 AM UTC
Scott

I don’t build model to win awards, I build to suit my self and have fun.

I think your diorama looks great, and as said, the most important thing is you followed it through and had fun building it. That’s all the satisfaction I need. Get on to the next one and have fun!!
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 19, 2011 - 04:33 AM UTC
I'd like to add this to give people inspiration. I hear that modeling is expensive and it's hard to get buy without a huge cash flow.... Well some of that I agree with, with a bit of work and saving stuff around the house you can get buy with inexpensive solutions.
The most expensive thing on the base is the bay window (followed by the well). After after that - everything else is scratch and cheap. Cork sidewalk and road probably 50cents of materials, building stone probably 40cents of sculpy (clay), plaster probably around 75cents, window frames $1 of bass wood and scrap clear styrene, the roof is paper shingles 15cents, gutters are kitchen foil 10cents, downspouts are round styrene scraps, base building is foam board that was heading to the dust bin after a school project, railings were brass office supplies cut and soldered.
So, be creative and you can do quite a bit with not that much.

portonion
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 36 posts
Armorama: 29 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 - 01:28 PM UTC
I really like it, there's a lot of atmosphere and movement in it!
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,394 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 - 06:34 PM UTC
Turned out great Scott. Everything came together well in the end. Congrats
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2011 - 05:44 AM UTC
Scott,

a really nice addition to your shelves my friend !! Great looking dio.

I recently viewed the 1970's BBC series "Secret Army" that is all about a lifeline for British pilots to keep them out of the hands of the Germans and to bring the back home to the UK. The atmosphere in that series looks a lot like the atmosphere you showed us in your dio. Another job well done !!

Quoted Text

Thanks everyone. On to the next....

Any ideas on what's gonna be next ?

Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2011 - 07:42 AM UTC
Scott, do you have any photos of the inside of that gorgeous building?
Kinggeorges
Visit this Community
Barcelona, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,380 posts
Armorama: 845 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2011 - 09:32 PM UTC
Scot,

The simple fact to achieve something in our hobby is already a challenge for most of us. Moreover when it come to that size.
I like you diorama, there are different stories, all refreshing because they are colorfull, acts with civilians and reflects the day to day of war.
Your Buiding is very nice and is already for european theater. If it is in Fran,ce, the architecture and the colors would place it in the north of France or Belgium.
If I would have an advise for the next one, I would apply severeal washes on the walls. They are too bright and new for me. The paveemnt are very well done znd reflects dirt and worn state. In comparison the wall looks like Disneyland.
Lastly IO REALLY like the plant in pot you made. Small accessory but big effect.

To th e next one, as you said

Julien
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2011 - 10:53 PM UTC
Ola Scott

Congrats on finishing this big diorama. I like it. Nice vibrant colors and overall it is a really pretty scene. Nice scratchbuilding as well. Love the building. Who makes the well?

I always love it when people scratchbuilt a lot in their projects. It makes it much more their own. And you did a fantastic job. You at least finish something. I'm currently working on a diorama of my own and planning to write up an article about it. Hope I can get it look half as good as yours.

Looking forward to the next project.

@ Danny
Great to see you around here mate. Long time no see or speak. Are you still building?

With friendly greetz

Robert
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2011 - 11:24 PM UTC
Danny - great to 'see' you and get feedback. Glad you're still checking in. Thanks for the feedback. Right now there is a German Stuka Zu Fuss that will have a 'basic base', so not a big one. I'm committing here to say the next diorama will be a 1/72 scale castle overlooking a large stone bridge with some German gear 'on watch'.

Marty - Sorry to disspoint you but the inside of that building is as empty as a candy wrapper at a childs birthday party.

Julien - I see your point on the washes and how the building contrasts with the road. I did target southern France so I'm glad it fits. I will remember your feedback for the next time - thanks.

Robert - Good to see you in the forums. I know what you mean on getting things done. It can take a long time, this one was way overdue and I honestly could still be working on it. Please post your work when you do get it done, I love seeing your work.
I love to add color to diorama to bring them to life, thanks for noticing. The well is from Custom DIoramics from a looong time ago.
Thanks for the feedback and I look forward to your article.

Thanks and Cheers .
trahe
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,158 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2011 - 12:07 AM UTC
Scott, I'll echo what others have already said. This turned out great, but more importantly, you had fun. I tell myself the day modelling becomes a chore, I will quit building (that day better not come too soon, or SWMBO will have a fit over my stash...).

Again, great job!
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2011 - 05:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Marty - Sorry to disspoint you but the inside of that building is as empty as a candy wrapper at a childs birthday party.

Oh, that's too bad. I feel that was a missed opportunity considering that the building takes up 25% of the diorama. You could have done so much in that space.

Perhaps next time.
bill1
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 3,938 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2011 - 07:15 AM UTC
Yo Scott,

Very nice to see a finished diorama. You did a great job, nice setting and story.

This one will look great on your shelfs,

As Bruce mention it, the biggest price is that you have fun on it to build the diorama...great job, on to the next.

Greetz Nico
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2011 - 01:58 PM UTC
Nico- thanks, it was a ton of fun.

Marty -you are so right, the interior has Tons of potential. My potential reserve was tapped out. I had to call it done and do a 270 diorama not a 360. I gave it serious thought, but time and life won. It's still accessible so who know, maybe I'll do it one day - after the stash comes down a bit.
On a serious note, yea - it could have been built out and it would have given a full 360 degree viewing. I could have even added a light to the inside. I don't regret stopping, but I do wonder what could have been.
 _GOTOTOP