_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Woohoo !!! New Jeep
Gulf11
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 290 posts
Armorama: 113 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2011 - 02:39 AM UTC
The LRDG pilot jeeps had one Twin Vickers mounted on the hood. They also carried very little in the way of supplies leaving that up to the larger trucks so as to reduce weight when scouting. No multiple Jerrycans, or weapons. Just the basic stuff needed for life support.

Sean
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2011 - 03:18 AM UTC
Always good to see another Allied Kit coming onto the market.

I'll be interested to see what the reviews make of it. Not one that's high on the wish list as I have sveral Tamiya and Italeri ones still to build. It will be interesting to see if they develop the kit any further.

Al
retiredbee2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 518 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2011 - 10:05 AM UTC
More Brittish .what a surp.................OH ?.........Brittish?.............they are listening. HE he he he he
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2011 - 09:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Which 'Old' Tamiya Jeep?

The old LRDG one is a bit of a stinker by today's standards, but goes together well enough if you don't mind chunky detail

However the more recent 35219 is still an absolute gem of a kit. In fact, although jeeps are by no means my favourite subject I'd still put it in my top 5 all time favourite kits purely on the strength of the incredible engineering, great detail and the sheer fun that can be had of putting it together

I always welcome new kits of allied subjects, but as anyone that has built the later Tamiya Willys Jeep will know, its going to be a hard act to follow. As you can get it for circa $10 US or £11, price will be a key factor if DML release 'regular' jeeps. That being said this one appears to have a lot of stuff that is not so commonly available to modellers at teh moment like that .50 calibre and decent Vickers Ks, so I'm sure this one will sell

I've been doing one these days and I agree with you. Although is a kit very easy to build, Tamiya jeep has very good details. I been improving the kit, but even if you make it straight from the box, you can obtain very good results
The only annoying flaws are some ejector pin marks which it need to be putty, nothing too visible anyway
So now I'm quite curious to see how DML could beat the Tamiya kit.
They may join a PE fret to improve the details. It'll be, as usual, a stunning model, but it'll be more difficult to put together (...and A LOT more expensive...)
Ranchhand
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 257 posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2011 - 04:25 AM UTC
I have 4 tamiya jeeps right now.. I love that thing. Sometimes I build one just as a aperitif if i am having trouble with a painful resin kit or strange build
But who am i kidding, I will be pre-ordering this one.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2011 - 09:52 AM UTC
Well, to be honest if for exemple I had to do a dio with a Sherman and a Willys jeep as "secondary" model, I'd buy a simplier and cheaper kit with very good details, so Tamiya kit would be the best choice

Otherwise if Willis were the only subject in my scene, I'd but a DML kit

Anyway, I haven't seen it yet
gremlinz
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 795 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2011 - 06:52 PM UTC
I think the reason I see a DML Jeep as being good news is that they seem to be to be the company most likely to milk the base kit for all it's worth and put out a greater variety of Jeep oriented kits. While the Tamiya one is good ( and the Italeri one isn't terrible ) if you want to do anything beyond the basic Jeep you either need the odler Tamiya SAS jeep or resin conversions.

I'd like to see DML's take on a NWE SAS jeep as well as an Airborne one and maybe even one of the PPA ones.
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2011 - 02:20 AM UTC
What does "Ready for immediate assembly" mean as a drawcard for this kit?
Does marketing a 'keen grasp of the obvious' count for something nowadays?
I too agree that the most recent (read: years ago now) Tamiya jeep is a jaffa. In fact, I'm going to go and buy one now. Always wanted more wheels in my feeble stash
rolf
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 301 posts
Armorama: 250 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2011 - 03:50 AM UTC
For all of you dire predictors of an outragious price for this kit here it is:

http://www.dragonusaonline.com/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=CHC6681

Not bad if I say so myself.

Roy
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2011 - 04:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Roy

It would be more or less 22 €...well, it would be great. I paid 15 for tamiya kit

Thanks a million for the info
rolf
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 301 posts
Armorama: 250 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2011 - 05:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Roy

It would be more or less 22 €...well, it would be great. I paid 15 for tamiya kit

Hey Mauro, that is the retail price at DragonUSA.com and CyberHobby.com which are the exclusive retailers for Cyber Hobby "White Box" kits. Now alot of Hobby Stores may stock them but they will be much more expensive due to the fact that they have to first buy them at retail from the afore mentioned shops and then mark them up accordingly. That is why you saw the Neubau-fahrzeug selling for over $110.00 at the hobby stores when they cost $80.00 (still pretty damn pricey) at Dragon USA. They sold out by the way. Still $31.00 for an all new mold Jeep in a limited run kit is not bad.

Roy
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2011 - 06:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Roy

Hey Mauro, that is the retail price at DragonUSA.com and CyberHobby.com which are the exclusive retailers for Cyber Hobby "White Box" kits. Now alot of Hobby Stores may stock them but they will be much more expensive due to the fact that they have to first buy them at retail from the afore mentioned shops and then mark them up accordingly. That is why you saw the Neubau-fahrzeug selling for over $110.00 at the hobby stores when they cost $80.00 (still pretty damn pricey) at Dragon USA. They sold out by the way. Still $31.00 for an all new mold Jeep in a limited run kit is not bad.

Roy

Thanks fot the explication Roy I didn't understand in a right way. So, if I've understood correctly, if the DML jeep is sold at the hobby stores with the same price increase of Neubau-fahrzeug kit, it will cost more or less the 137% of the original price It will mean about 44 $ (30 €) , twice of Tamiya kit.... I hope it will be worth

Thanks again
gremlinz
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 795 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2011 - 08:37 AM UTC
To put it in rough perspective using the CH Neubau Fahrzeug as a comparrison, it was $90NZD from DMLUSA ( but also $40NZD shipping ) and $101NZD from Hobbyeasy with $20NZD shipping, so they worked out about the same.

The CH Jeep will be about three times a Tamiya kit but then the Tamiya kit is a base Jeep and I'd expect in the not too distant future that DML will put out a DML boxed standard jeep that will be around $10USD cheaper than the CH boxed limited run one. So I'd expect a DML Jeep to be similar in price to their 2cm Flakveirling kit, or the recent Kettenkraftrad kit. Both of which are a reasonable price.

And the DML price for this one is still good if you buy four to spread the shipping ( for NZ anyway ). Guess I'll have to buy four. Oh darn.
sfctur1
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 643 posts
Armorama: 497 posts
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2011 - 12:03 AM UTC
Russ,
It is 31.99 for a pre-order at Dragon usa.
Tom
 _GOTOTOP