_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Woohoo !!! New Jeep
gremlinz
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 795 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 11:24 AM UTC
And an SAS one to boot.

russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 12:33 PM UTC
I'd like to see the details and the cost on this one. I wonder if other versions will follow.
gremlinz
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 12:45 PM UTC
I'd be amazed if DML don't release a base jeep at least.
kowalski
Visit this Community
Baleares, Spain / España
KitMaker: 59 posts
Armorama: 58 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 01:18 PM UTC
I should have guessed this would happen. I've got both Swash Designs conversions on my to-do pile.
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,325 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 02:01 PM UTC
Damn. They made enough allied stuff. I wish they would make a kit of an April 1945 production King Tiger. (sarcasm)

This news makes me very, very excited!
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 03:01 PM UTC
I'm still dumbfounded as to why these guys don't release a series of 1/35th scale HMMWV's.
HipKitty
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 390 posts
Armorama: 387 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 03:41 PM UTC
I'd love to see the detail and cost as well. I wonder how well it will stand against the old Tamiya and Italeri units.....
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 03:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm still dumbfounded as to why these guys don't release a series of 1/35th scale HMMWV's.

I'm curious and surprised why no plastic (or resin company for that matter) doesn't release the very last jeep version....the USMC "Super Jeep Fast Attack Vehicle" that long out-of-business Kirin made instead of rehashing a version of a WW2 jeep that has already been made in plastic and resin.

The USMC 1990's "Super Jeep" really isn't that complex to make from an experienced plastics company. A few even had a HMMWV turret ring on rollbars.
gremlinz
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 10:42 PM UTC
Do you think it too much to hope for DML to do a 6 pdr so they could do a Jeep and 6pdr set, and then a Para version and the airborne jeep and 6 pdr.
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 10:49 PM UTC
Hi

Why DML Dean ? its more likely to come from AFV Club or Bronco if you see what they have announced just lately. If they do you can rest assured it'll be every bit as good as you would hope it to be going on what they have shown us just lately

Alan
ChrisDM
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 717 posts
Armorama: 697 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 11:01 PM UTC
Which 'Old' Tamiya Jeep?

The old LRDG one is a bit of a stinker by today's standards, but goes together well enough if you don't mind chunky detail

However the more recent 35219 is still an absolute gem of a kit. In fact, although jeeps are by no means my favourite subject I'd still put it in my top 5 all time favourite kits purely on the strength of the incredible engineering, great detail and the sheer fun that can be had of putting it together

I always welcome new kits of allied subjects, but as anyone that has built the later Tamiya Willys Jeep will know, its going to be a hard act to follow. As you can get it for circa $10 US or £11, price will be a key factor if DML release 'regular' jeeps. That being said this one appears to have a lot of stuff that is not so commonly available to modellers at teh moment like that .50 calibre and decent Vickers Ks, so I'm sure this one will sell
gremlinz
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 11:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi

Why DML Dean ? its more likely to come from AFV Club or Bronco if you see what they have announced just lately. If they do you can rest assured it'll be every bit as good as you would hope it to be going on what they have shown us just lately

Alan

I don't care who builds it, I'm just hoping that if DML is looking for every possible way to milk this that they think to do the airborne version with the airborne 6 pdr.
gremlinz
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 11:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Which 'Old' Tamiya Jeep?

The old LRDG one is a bit of a stinker by today's standards, but goes together well enough if you don't mind chunky detail

However the more recent 35219 is still an absolute gem of a kit. In fact, although jeeps are by no means my favourite subject I'd still put it in my top 5 all time favourite kits purely on the strength of the incredible engineering, great detail and the sheer fun that can be had of putting it together

I always welcome new kits of allied subjects, but as anyone that has built the later Tamiya Willys Jeep will know, its going to be a hard act to follow. As you can get it for circa $10 US or £11, price will be a key factor if DML release 'regular' jeeps. That being said this one appears to have a lot of stuff that is not so commonly available to modellers at teh moment like that .50 calibre and decent Vickers Ks, so I'm sure this one will sell

The current Tamiya jeep is good but if you really want to there's still plenty that can be improved on.
ChrisDM
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 717 posts
Armorama: 697 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 11:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The current Tamiya jeep is good but if you really want to there's still plenty that can be improved on.

If you really want to, you can improve on any kit, even super-duper DML ones, especially their allied releases
Totalize
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 743 posts
Armorama: 549 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 07, 2011 - 12:34 AM UTC
This is a Cyberhobby kit which I suspect will be at 2x the price of the excellent Tamiya kit (35219) perhaps more. I am sure it will be a fine kit but I don't see them selling a lot of them. Some will have to have it though. I am in no rush to see DML come out with a standard Willys jeep as the Tamiya kit is more than enough for me.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 07, 2011 - 11:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This is a Cyberhobby kit which I suspect will be at 2x the price of the excellent Tamiya kit (35219) perhaps more. I am sure it will be a fine kit but I don't see them selling a lot of them. Some will have to have it though. I am in no rush to see DML come out with a standard Willys jeep as the Tamiya kit is more than enough for me.

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

If you really want to, you can improve on any kit, even super-duper DML ones, especially their allied releases

If there was a like button on Armorama I'd have clicked it for both these posts. I'm not at all excited about this release though I do like the subject.

I can understand though why some people are excited about DML/CyberHobby releasing a jeep- they're fans- either of DML or jeeps

I preordered the new Tamiya M4A1/76 because although I've built both the Italeri and Dragon Kits and have more of them in the stash I'm interested in what Tamiya does with it.
I suspect we'll see a couple of more special CyberHobby jeeps such as the armoured 82nd Airborne version, before we get a regular jeep. Not being a huge fan of jeeps(though I have five in my stash) I'll pass on this unless I get it for a really good price.
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 07, 2011 - 12:12 PM UTC
This actually looks like a cool kit, we have no "new" generation of SAS equipment except for aftermarket stuff, the old Tamiya SAS jeep was dimensionally too short as well as soft detail on the SAS kit, and who can forget the two handled jerry cans! The newer Tamiya Jeep is fine but you'd have to spend $ on AM stuff for the SAS kit. Italeri jeeps are OK, but they only do the "Euro" version. So this actually fills a gap - a new release of perhaps one of the most famous and exciting softskins of all time.
djohannsen
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 364 posts
Armorama: 355 posts
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2011 - 01:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And an SAS one to boot.

I believe that the LRDG starting using Jeeps for pilot vehicles in late 1942, or so. With some photos and a bit of modification this kit ought to be able to be used as the basis for an LRDG version.

Dave
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2011 - 09:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

And an SAS one to boot.

I believe that the LRDG starting using Jeeps for pilot vehicles in late 1942, or so. With some photos and a bit of modification this kit ought to be able to be used as the basis for an LRDG version.

Dave

Yes, I've read before LRDG jeeps were similar but some had markings, and were not as heavily laden with guns and gear as the SAS ones....an old "War Machine" mag from the 80's I think
Smokeyr67
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 145 posts
Armorama: 137 posts
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2011 - 11:00 AM UTC
I'll take 4 without even asking the price.
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2011 - 11:21 AM UTC
AHHHHHHH....I have so much fondness for the old Tamiya SAS Jeep. At the time I bought my first one (1976) Tamiya was the only game in town and that jeep was very cool, especially the figures. I never got the Italeri kit...I guess it was ok.

Now, 35 years later, CyberHobby is doing this one. I can't wait to get it...regardless of the price! The weapons are probably state of the art. I'm looking forward to a review of this one.

By the way...I think I paid $6.00 for my Tamiya kit way back then...bougt it from the Grenadier Shop out of Illinois.

adamant
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 152 posts
Armorama: 119 posts
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2011 - 11:52 AM UTC
Couldn't agree more with Dean regards a 6 Pounder in plastic. The old Airfix, Zvezda and Italeri kit was 1/32nd and detail was thick by today's standards. Tamiya's rendition just hasn't stood the test of time at all. Resicast wheels look over scale on face value when compared to pics, maybe it's just just me. But the price alone is steep for many I would imagine. IMO long overdue, plus am sure multiple variants could be produced from a standard kit. Hope someone fills the cap soon.
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 757 posts
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2011 - 07:46 PM UTC
lovely lil jeep isn't she?
i think i will get a cours line of em and vist friend erwin!

reb
Ranchhand
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 257 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2011 - 02:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I should have guessed this would happen. I've got both Swash Designs conversions on my to-do pile.

I have that conversion as well, although i must say that the figures are what i wanted most (sterling standing etc)
The swash set is pretty damn nice, It would be interesting to see if dragon could top it.

also tamiya is kind on "king of the jeeps" when it comes to a base jeep, that model is just so darn well engineered. It will be very interesting to compare them.
Gulf11
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 290 posts
Armorama: 113 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2011 - 02:36 AM UTC
Well I am glad to see another Jeep on the market and an SAS one at that but the CyberHobby release = at least a $39.99 price tag.

Anybody else want to take a guess at the final price when released...just for fun.

Keep 'em coming...I'll buy at least one of everything! I'm sort of like a crow...I see something new and sparkly and just have to have it for the stash!

Sean
 _GOTOTOP