Detailing The Tamiya Tiger II
Matt182
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 269 posts
Armorama: 243 posts
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2011 - 07:39 AM UTC
Hi all,

This is my 1/48 Tamiya Tiger II I am building for the tiger campaign. This was ment to be just a quick simple build to have a break from my 1/16 Tiger II but after reviewing the kit I just had to detail it!

So far it has been mostly OOB except for the following mods:

Added periscopes made from plasticard to the hull and turret
Added cast texture to the exhaust guards by coating them in liquid cement and stipeling them with a stiff brush
Filled in the gaps in the the sponsons with plasticard
Added zimmerit from putty.

I am almost finished with the zimmerit and will be moving onto detailing soon. The areas still to detail are:

Replace grab handels with wire on all hatches
Replace the barrel with an ally barrel
Add all the additional fixtures from the Voyager PE set
Replace all the fenders with Voyager PE fenders

I think I will keep the kit tracks as they are decent enough.

So what do you guys think so far?

Sorry about the bad photos!
lukiftian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 791 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2011 - 07:54 AM UTC
Looks good so far, Matt.

The zimmerit is a little overscale, but in 1/48 I think you can get away with that. Looking forward to seeing it with paint
Matt182
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 269 posts
Armorama: 243 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2011 - 12:10 AM UTC
Hi guys,

Well I did intend to to keep a build log of this but I kind of failed!

Anyway this one was finished a couple of weeks ago as my entry to the Tiger campaign.

In the end I didn't go overboard with the PE. I mainly used it for the tool clamps and mesh screens. The pe for the spare track hangers were also used as the kit has them moulded to the spare track links. All the handles were replaced with wire. The cable to the headlight and the antenna were added with fuse wire. The main barrel was also replaced with a aliminium item.

This is how it looked before painting.

I started painting by sparying the whole model tamiya hull red. Then I add some salt to try out salt chipping.

This was oversprayed with vajello dark yellow with tank green and camo brown for the camo.

Once this was done I removed the salt to reveal the chips

Next I painted all the details with various different paints. The barrel was painted black to represent a replacement barrel.

The model was then coated in vajello gloss varnish, decals added and washed applied using burnt umber oil paint. Once this wash done I used a dot filter using white, yellow orche and raw sienna oils to fade the paint. Finally a matt coat of varnish and some pigments added.

Finally I made a simple base and covered it in snow. The tracks and the lower hll also recieved some snow. This was made using bycarbonate of soda mixed with pva glue.

I have some resin figures yet to be painted which will be added at some point.

I really enjoyed this little project. It made a nice break from my main ongoing project. These little tamiya kits are fun to build and with some simple scratch building a PE they can really look the part.

Hope you like it guys
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,394 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2011 - 03:41 AM UTC
Hi Matt. You should add it to the gallery on the www.Track48.com website when you get the figures finished.
ModelBuildingTanks
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 146 posts
Armorama: 143 posts
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2011 - 05:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Matt. You should add it to the gallery on the www.Track48.com website when you get the figures finished.

Speaking of that, I've sent them pictures of 3 of my 1/48th models, and they haven't been posted in months, neither have I gotten replies. Any reason? Are my models just not good enough?

Nice job on the Tiger II! Looks awesome!
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,394 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 07:18 AM UTC
I think the reason is he spends a lot of time with his kid and family, but he'll do a flurry of submissions all at once. Sometimes I've sent things in and they never appeared too. So, lost in the email I guess.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 13, 2011 - 07:38 AM UTC
Alex which E-mail address did you send them too? I ask as I have not seen them to my knowledge.
 _GOTOTOP