_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Doesn't Anybody Read Anymore?
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2011 - 05:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

And I'm with Dean on this one! A specific book section here would be very useful as some looking for specific titles on the various forums can get complicated. If there was such as section, one can simply go there and get all the reviews/news just about them.

There is a way to get to the reference section for reviews, and narrow it down a bit:

Click on the reviews tab and click any of the sections that I circled in red:

Which brings you to this screen, click on reference:

To narrow the search, click on one of the areas in the black band, I believe default is last published by date (review published that is), but clicking on 'Section' or 'Vendor' helps narrow the search:

Some reference will be under other sections, such as 'Painting', so if you are looking for a more specific reference/DVD check the smaller sections too.

HTH
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Armorama: 656 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2011 - 06:49 PM UTC
Hello Bill,
I read the book reviews when I see a new one out.
I also read at home 30+ books a week, This week I am reading Panzer Tactics, Fighting for the Fatherland, Steel Castles, Why Rome fell, Hell On the Eastern Front, Gold and Iron, 8 Military History mag's, Why we sleep, The Confederate Military History of the Civil War, and 5 Sci-Fi's this week.
That is not including my work around the house and being a staff member at MSW. also running a couple of campaigns.
Keep up the good work,
Cheers,
Bruce
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2011 - 09:07 AM UTC
Wow, Bruce, you are a real book light industry! Thanks for the kind remarks, too.
Removed by original poster on 08/10/11 - 07:20:22 (GMT).
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2011 - 07:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And in many ways, the problem becomes circular: the sheer amount of books focussed on the Anglo-Saxon market becomes proof that only that market is viable, therefore other books never get the chance.

There's a LOT of truth in that statement. Recently, while writing a Review on a New book on the French 2nd Armored Division, I came to very similar conclusions. Somewhat cynically, I expressed doubts that modelers would shift themselves to get a book of this type as:

a) It wasn't an American subject

b) It wasn't another book on the Tiger

c) It wasn't as Anglo-centered as many other books.

Now, IMO, ANY (and all) Allied builders should pick themselves up a copy as there are literally more possibilities of Sherman variants and color schemes than ANY other Sherman-using country...

However, another of the conclusions I came to is that far too many people have been conned into believing that if it doesn't exist on the 'Web, it doesn't exist. Certainly the 'WWW is useful, but, and this is difficult to commmunicate, it is VERY limited.

Thoughts?
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2011 - 09:48 AM UTC
Well, it's this sort of discussion that opens up new possibilities. I have now added the book Jim mentioned on the French 2nd Armored Division to my wish list.

Sometimes we just need our ass kicked a bit.
Thatguy
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 487 posts
Armorama: 451 posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2011 - 10:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

a) It wasn't an American subject

b) It wasn't another book on the Tiger

c) It wasn't as Anglo-centered as many other books.

While I agree that these are serious factors, I think that there are many reasons why most publishers of such books are often risk averse.

The biggest and most pernicious of these in my opinion is the Wikimedia Foundation. Wikipedia has done a number of things to the state of information dissemination, but most importantly, it has established the monetary value of research at zero. This is clearly stated in its mission:

Quoted Text

The Wikimedia Foundation, Inc. is a nonprofit charitable organization dedicated to encouraging the growth, development and distribution of free, multilingual content, and to providing the full content of these wiki-based projects to the public free of charge.

(Above emphasis added)

Publishers of print, or even electronic research works can only be risk averse when presented with the likely situation that the salient points of any work they publish of broad interest will no doubt appear on one of Wikimedia's cluster of pages almost immediately. If it doesn't, its likely because the amount of information provided through Wikipedia or another one of the Foundation's pages provides the basic information sought by the vast majority of people interested in a topic. The unholy alliance between Google and Wikimedia, which makes it so that in the vast majority of cases the Wikipedia entry on a topic is the first search return, fuels this, whether this is actually an intended feature of the Panda algorithm or not.

Similarly, there is little value for aspiring authors to do the grunt work when presented with the same situation. Wikipedia offers them no outlet either, however, in having guidelines that prevent the use of so-called "original research." This reinforces the bad elements of Wikimedia, by basically requiring users to harvest from sources published by others. Wikipedia is sort of like the Wal-Mart of the internet, similarly responsible for edging out independent websites that used to provide new information. Unlike Wal-Mart, which will continue to have both a market and a source for its wares, Wikipedia has understandably plateaued as the availability of new ready information slows. Most updates on "well cited" pages rely heavily on news items now.

Independent websites used to provide a perfect outlet for authors who could not find a publisher for more obscure topics. Online self-publishing such as Lulu has also been a boon. However, between Wikimedia and Scribd, this has become of debatable economic viability. I used to update Wikipedia myself as a way of trying to put out obscure and new information, but eventually gave up when I found out that I couldn't feed myself and I'd have to spend hours just trying to convince other self righteous people that they were wrong (and who knows who was really wrong). I'm also teetering on the point of losing my current job for reasons that are directly attributable to the Google-Wikimedia monopoly.

As for more obscure topics, I've actually found the miniature wargaming community to be receptive both to the modeling and the history aspects, but again, its a relatively small niche community. I've found success in publishing items targeted toward it, but its not a day job replacement.

Also, with regards to the original question, I think its not so much a matter of reading, as reading comprehension. Every day I see examples where it seems that while people are reading something, the content is not getting across. Reading comprehension seems to be the lost skill. Its also what I use to explain why on so many forums where the same questions get asked repeatedly.
metooshelah
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
KitMaker: 1,507 posts
Armorama: 1,304 posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2011 - 11:03 AM UTC
must say - I really enjoyed the pz IV vs. char b1 and the panther reviews
redleg12
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 872 posts
Armorama: 831 posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2011 - 02:25 PM UTC
Bill - I have been watching this tread and some good discussion. Reading and books suffer from the same problem our hobby suffers from...

In this society today of high tech, instant gratification, look on the internet, 500 channels of TV, .... you see where I am going. No one has patience. Someday it will be like the scene from the future in the original Time Machine movie....no one reads so all the book turn to dust!!

I love to read and I am always looking for good research books. Then again I am an old gas passer who remembers the old fashioned way whch was...."you earned it"

OK.....enough of my rant.... To answer the original question, yes every day

Rounds Complete!!
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 03:46 AM UTC
Thank you, Matan and Mike. Your encouragement is much appreciated.

I would also like to emphasize one thing:

ARMORAMA WELCOMES REVIEWS FROM ITS MEMBERS, INCLUDING BOOK REVIEWS.

If there's a book you particularly enjoy, please do consider writing a review. I will be happy to work with you off-line on it.
 _GOTOTOP