_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Doesn't Anybody Read Anymore?
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2011 - 02:53 AM UTC
Hey, folks, I know new kits are "sexier," but it's a little disconcerting to those of us doing book reviews how little attention or comments they elicit. How 'bout taking a few moments to click on the reviews below? We don't expect the same kind of numbers as a new Valentine release, but it would be nice to have a few of you stop by. Thanks in advance.

German General Walther Model
The Allied attack on Walcheren Island 1944
Operation Archery, Norway 1941
Operation Nordwind, the last Waffen-SS campaign in the West
Panzer IV vs. Char B1 bis
Waffen-SS Artillery
Panther (great modeling techniques!)
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2011 - 04:05 AM UTC
Bill,
I know how frustating it could be for a writer to take time of his own to write and publish a review that would be unread or less read.
I'd be pleased to read those reviews you give the links to but they don't cover my field of interest.
Anyway, I second your call and promise to read each and every review of book dealing with modern armor
ChrisDM
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 717 posts
Armorama: 697 posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2011 - 04:21 AM UTC
Hi Bill,

I read the ones that might interest me, and in fact have kind of decided to purchase one based on the review

Chris
Spuds
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 393 posts
Armorama: 287 posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2011 - 04:24 AM UTC
Sorry, Bill. I'm sure you do good work. In fact I know you do, because I've read your comments in past threads. However, I'm not the slightest bit interested in anything German. Don't even pause one millisecond over pictures. However, if you review anything US, I promise I'll read every word and comment.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2011 - 04:55 AM UTC
I feel the same way. I read reviews all the time - of things that interest me. I know the work involved and appreciate your efforts, but I know what kind of work goes into a "Harry Potter" film as well. It doesn't mean I want to take time out of my day to watch it.
If something comes up for review that I'd build, or might potentially build, I read it. As it happens, I can read AND write:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/176477#1482258

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/176527#1481756

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/175155#1473269

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/175301#1472246

That's just in the first few pages of my recent posts.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2011 - 05:01 AM UTC
What does this thread mean, it doesn't have a picture?

Hi Bill, haven't got to them yet been too busy, but I know exactly what you're talking about. The makup of the site has grown dramatically over the last few years but the nature of the customer has changed. You see lots of hits but less and less people willing to respond or add soemthing to a thread.

Life I suppose.

Al

bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2011 - 05:40 AM UTC
Thank you all for taking the time to read. Some of the reviews lately have been German-centric, but the Osprey books are about Allied operations (yes, the Germans were the enemy, I guess we need some books about the Allies against the Japanese).

As for you non-German folks,

Valentine Walk Around

And modernists....

AAVP7
Modern transports
DANA

We get new books all the time, yet the same sorry stats obtain as well. I can't hector you guys into reading, but I can at least remind you these books are looking for readers.
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2011 - 05:44 AM UTC
Robert, we appreciate the posts, really we do. I lament the lack of interest in the research that many fine individuals put into these books. I'm just a reviewer, and if relatively few of you read the review, it's no real skin off my nose. That having been said, I'm hoping that by pointing this out, some of you (like Chris) will be inspired to order something.

It can be contagious. My efforts to review Archer's Waffen-SS artillery shoulder boards got me interested in learning more about the Waffen-SS artillery, so I purchased this book. It was expensive, about the price of a new DML tank kit, but I learned enough that I'm going to build the DML Hummel Late.

Pass it on....
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2011 - 06:14 AM UTC
I too focus on modern subjects...especially US.
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
Armorama: 1,234 posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2011 - 06:42 AM UTC
Hi Bill, First off thanks for all your hard work doing reviews. I read some, not a lot but subjects that are of interest. i also sbscribe to the Osprey news letter and check out stuff there. That is why I don't check out more. AQny idea who carries the Canafora Books ? the Panther book has caught my eye. $45 for a book or $45 for a kit that will go into the stash. I think the book wins this time !
Thanks again for your reviews Bill.
Tom
ChrisDM
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 717 posts
Armorama: 697 posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2011 - 06:58 AM UTC
Speaking as a producer (but not a book author) who supplies the odd free kit for review on this site; while the lack of comments can be a bit frustrating, I long ago realised there is little correlation between comments and sales.

I have in the past had a lot of attaboys from people on the net for my products and the percentage of those that bought my products (benefits of being a one man company, you notice these things) is miniscule. The vast majority goes to people I have never heard of before. These people may have seen it on the site, and may even be members here, but they do not post. They just pop in to read up on products, reviews, and blogs for ideas and inspiration

So, speaking as a producer (and one with a background in marketing) comments are almost a red herring. Its hits and sales traceable to the reviews that matters. In that I have always been happy with reviews done for me, and news stories posted for me by Armorama staff as it definitely increases my profile and contibutes to my sales. If it didn't I would not give away so much money in kits for reviews
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2011 - 08:20 AM UTC
Bill C.;

Well.... those reviews sho dew LOOK good by me, but seeing as I can neither reed nor rite... But, if you want "sexier" (and what could be sexier than a new panzer kit?) ... Bet you'll get more comments ifin you dress one in some "b--t-floss" LoL!

Actually, I do hit those on subjects of interest. Those I have read have been very very good and informative - so please do keep it up!

I do NOT want to hijack this thread in any way... But AlanL raised what I think is a real point about the nature of the customer having changed.

I think some of us "customers" have become a little "gun-shy" about posting and commenting on stuff we are not expert on. I'm a relatively new customer this (or any modeling) site. And it's a great site, IMO, but I almost dropped out after encountering a few too many huge egos and self-appointed (maybe it's "self-annoited"?) "experts" who like to wax their intolerance of other's opinons - now I often just look in on a thread of interest (and that's many of them) but don't post a comment, so to avoid needless ad-hominem. It's only a very few - the vast majority of folks here are really great - but a few bad apples can spoil stuff way out of proportion!

Maybe the seeming lack of response is in part guys having become a little reluctant to air their naiivitae?

Just my opinion!

Bob
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
Armorama: 526 posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2011 - 08:52 AM UTC
First of all,

thanks for the effort. And even though I do read quite a few reviews, I tend to only add comments when I feel I have something to add or ask. I think you are correct when you point out that it would be a boost to you as a reviewer when people - including myself - show their appreciation on occasion.

That said, I'll also have to be honest that for me a few things play a part as well:

- Subject matter reviewed (is it of interest to me?)

- The style of the review.

- Book reviews are difficult to do, and some books by their very nature make it even more difficult to write a review that is interesting and does not look like a ‘dime a dozen’ review, no matter the effort a reviewer puts into it. In-box reviews face similar difficulties.

- Other books might offer more of a chance, but many of the books reviewed by their nature – both subject, presentation and often also the targeted market – still make it difficult to write a good review about it.

- The quality of book reviews is, to some extent, harder to judge than that of ‘regular’ reviews. No sprue shots for comparison and to interest the reader are possible. Basically you have little independent opportunity to judge for yourself what is in it, unlike with sprue shots. The only way to compare it is get the book yourself. This issue becomes even more to the fore when the books described are aimed at the general enthusiast with a limited budged/limited willingness to spend money on a book. Put it this way, the Osprey booklets are not in the same class as Fedorowicsz’ unit histories (on the sPzAbt 503 or sPzJagAbt 653 and 654) or even those of Restayn’s (IIRC) on the 21st Panzer.

- I think in general it is much harder to enthuse someone for a book(let) than for a kit. Also since, unfortunately and I think rather incorrectly, many people see the internet as a better and cheaper alternative than the book. Why buy a 300 page monograph for $ 50 when you have Wikipedia?

- Apart from modern subjects, where the reviewer might be intimately familiar with the subject, - usually for professional reasons - it is difficult to provide a detailed comment (and judgement) about the validity and accuracy of the content for most if not all reviewers.

I'll try to explain based on the example of the Osprey Campaign series:

- The series is rather formulaic in the organisation of the books. It is the strength of the series, but also its weakness. Apart from the subject matter there is little originality, and to a considerable extent the subject matter lacks originality as well. The series is dominated by Anglo-Saxon subjects, or rather subjects that are known sellers in the Anglo-Saxon world (predominantly the US). That is - in general - a problem of the market-segment that most reviewed books belonging to the ‘popular military history’ come from. To give just a single glaring example, there is only a single battle of the 30-Year’s war in the Campaign series (1632 Lützen). None of the other battles or campaigns by the men that transformed warfare, like Maurice of Orange, Willem Lodewijk of Nassau, of Gustavus Adolphus. No Nieuwpoort, Breitenfeldt, Rocroi. In contrast – and yes, this is frustration speaking – it seems that every skirmish of the English Civil War is represented. Likewise much more instructive battles like Ramillies, Oudenaerde, and Malplaquet are missing, and many of Frederick the Great of Prussia’s battles are IMHO much more deserving to be included than many battles included now; unfortunately they lack the appeal for the main stream market. Likewise it is almost impossible to find anything concerning the Anglo-Dutch Naval Wars, which among others featured by far the two strongest maritime nations fighting each other, perhaps the greatest collection of talented naval commanders ever (fighting together in a single conflict), and naval battles of a scale, ferocity, and intensity rarely if ever seen before or since. In today’s terms, think of two US Navy’s squaring off against each other.
Conversely I might read the review, but the lack of enthusiasm for the subject often results in a lack of enthusiasm for commenting upon it. Again, no knock on the reviewers, but sometimes when I see such a review I get the ‘yeah, another one – note: sarcasm’ feeling coming over me, just as some people get tired (and legitimately so) when the umpteenth version of the Tiger is announced, or the umpdozenth minor Sherman-variation. The announcement of another SS-whatever figure draws no enthusiasm at all anymore, at best some appreciation for the artistic skill displayed.
Great for Shermaholics, Tigerholics or Waffen-SS aficionado’s, but it makes it really hard to become enthusiastic about the subject and even the effort by reviewers put into it.

- The Osprey series is an introductory series, but not so-called ‘academic’ scholarship, and it has never been intended to be such. On the other hand they level of ‘scholarship’ is usually fairly consistent and decent to good quality – some of the authors are well-respected academics - but often ‘simplified’ and to some extent also repetitive (due to the set-up of the series, with the intention that every volume is also a standalone monograph).
Again, this makes it also very difficult to write an engaging and stand-out review that might trigger the reader of that review into responding or even engaging in debate. Also, as – presumably – most are amateur hobbyists it makes it also difficult to engage the content of the book in the review, since most of us and most of us reviewers lack the knowledge (and library) to point out flaws. And that does not even address the point whether the reviewer is willing to write such a review, whether such a review is something the users of this site want, and finally whether this site is the best forum to publish such reviews.

- Personally I might be able to provide detailed in depth comment about a few volumes dealing with battles and the armies of Antiquity, but for the others I have to make do with 'common sense' and what I have come across as an enthusiast of military history.

Again, I appreciate your effort and those of other reviewers. And I hope these 0.02 might offer you some insight in my POV.

Cheers,

Harm
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2011 - 09:02 AM UTC
I understand where you are coming from. My main problem with buying books is that the internet is too powerful of a tool. You can find a walkaround on almost any vehicle and articles on different events abound. I pay $20 a month for the internet, which makes it more cost effective than paying $10-20 for a book that covers a limited amount of information. The last book I bought was a Squadron walkaround of the Mil24 Hind and I was sorely disappointed. I've purchased a few general modelling books and found that I already knew the information contained in them. Paper books are really becoming a thing of the past. Perhaps you could publish yours' online and charge a member fee for access to them. This would save you money, because you don't have to produce paper books. And, the customer would be more inclined to pay a minimal fee, $10/month for access to the information. We must push ahead or be lost to the anells of history.
bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2011 - 09:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Bill, First off thanks for all your hard work doing reviews.

You're welcome, Tom. I would do them anyway, but I suppose there's a Crusader Rabbit inside me that wants to share the good stuff. While another kit is nice, a book can really inspire you to build something out of one's "comfort" zone.

Quoted Text

Any idea who carries the Canfora Books ? the Panther book has caught my eye. $45 for a book or $45 for a kit that will go into the stash. I think the book wins this time !

I believe you can get it online from Canfora (shipping is about 6 Euros). There has been talk about a US distributor, but I haven't heard anything definite yet.

That book is filled with great ideas for building armor dios.
Kharkov
KitMaker: 181 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2011 - 09:39 AM UTC

"Doesn't Anybody Read Anymore?"

Run a competition on the book reviews, ask a question that requires the viewer to read the article, then do a lucky dip, then give the book to the winner.

I am assuming Armorama gets the books for free, for review purposes, so it costs you nothing, well maybe postage,

And to answer your question, no they dont, seems like the whole world has forgotten how to read.

bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2011 - 09:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Speaking as a producer (but not a book author) who supplies the odd free kit for review on this site; while the lack of comments can be a bit frustrating, I long ago realised there is little correlation between comments and sales.

You provide a very interesting take on things, Chris. Thanks for sharing that.

Quoted Text

Its hits and sales traceable to the reviews that matters. In that I have always been happy with reviews done for me, and news stories posted for me by Armorama staff as it definitely increases my profile and contibutes to my sales. If it didn't I would not give away so much money in kits for reviews

I'm glad to hear the reviews help your sales. We generally think it does, but sometimes the kit makers balk because we're not print media.

The only problem with the lack of comments is the threads about the reviews fall off the "conveyor" belt and so they don't get read as much.

Matt, your suggestion about running a contest for the book is worth mulling over some more.

Bob, I think the big ego problem has improved since one ego in particular took his ball and went home. But if the problem reappears, let one of the editors know. This site is a general one, and nobody should be intimidated by another member.

Finally, Harm, you raise some good points. Not every review is outstanding, just as not every book is a standout. I don't expect to see modern US armor enthusiasts reading a review about tank warfare in the France 1940 Campaign, though I would encourage folks to stretch their minds and try different things.

As far as the Anglo-centric nature of publishing, I'm sure I'd squawk if I lived in France, for example, and heard nothing except Napoleon, or had models about the various French airplanes of early WW2. Publishers publish what they think people want to read (and lots of people, not 10-20). Again, getting outside my comfort zone is something I like to do-- one of the best books I've read in some time was Dominic Lieven's Russia Against Napoleon. Other than the "1812 Overture" and the film versions of "War & Peace," I knew almost nothing about the campaign or the Russians during that war, and I loved every page. Want to know about forage for horses or sourcing uniforms in a pre-Industrial Revolution economy?

You're right that not every book is interesting, too. Some of these series are a little too neat, and it becomes hard to shoe horn a title into them.

But I'm glad to have these threads, and is not only gets this subject talked about, but tells me more about what y'all want from us reviewers.
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2011 - 10:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry, Bill. I'm sure you do good work. In fact I know you do, because I've read your comments in past threads. However, I'm not the slightest bit interested in anything German. Don't even pause one millisecond over pictures. However, if you review anything US, I promise I'll read every word and comment.

Hi Bill,
I have to agree with Tom.I'm no spring chicken, my grandfather and father were in WW1 and WW11. I've done Shermans,Panzers,etc.since a kid and back when I started again as an adult.My focus changed when there became more Viet Nam kits.As a teenager this is the war I new and watched.Now it's Iraq and Afganistan.With a new generation coming up the hobby will pass to them and that's what they will recall.I have posted a few times before that if I see 1 more Tiger release I think I'll get sick.As Tom mentioned I will check a review and if it's German I'll go straight to the back button.(unless it's modern).
Tom
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Armorama: 2,807 posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2011 - 11:18 AM UTC
Here's my 2c into the pot....

Like many I'll read the book reviews I'm interested in such as modern armor and reviews on this site have prompted me to even buy some of those and then maybe comment once I have it in my grubby paw.

Part of the problem is the sheer scale of this site and the wide range of interests it covers I just don't have time to read everything so have to be selective. What I really appreciate is the overall site, the editors who obviously put so much effort into keeping it up-to-date and interesting and who display a love and knowledge of the hobby, and 99.9% of the contributers in all the threads on all the forums who are nothing but friendly and helpful. I can understand where Bob is coming from but to be honest when I come across one of those I usually just ignore them. I know what I like and enjoy and am perfectly willing to share my humble efforts and opinions
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2011 - 01:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

- The series is rather formulaic in the organisation of the books. It is the strength of the series, but also its weakness. Apart from the subject matter there is little originality, and to a considerable extent the subject matter lacks originality as well. The series is dominated by Anglo-Saxon subjects, or rather subjects that are known sellers in the Anglo-Saxon world (predominantly the US). That is - in general - a problem of the market-segment that most reviewed books belonging to the ‘popular military history’ come from.

I think one should also consider how many basic Thirty-Years War manuscripts - in English - are floating around out there looking for a publisher. (Probably none.) I suspect Osprey is like most magazines: They print what people submit. If no one has written or at least outlined an English language book on the subjects you've mentioned, then I don't imagine you will see Osprey releasing one either.

KL
Rouse713
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 367 posts
Armorama: 326 posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2011 - 02:16 PM UTC
Bill,

I was going to write earlier. I ordered the LSSAH artillery book based on your review.

Thank you for your book reviews as well as your (excellent) model reviews.

Mark
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2011 - 08:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

- The series is rather formulaic in the organisation of the books. It is the strength of the series, but also its weakness. Apart from the subject matter there is little originality, and to a considerable extent the subject matter lacks originality as well. The series is dominated by Anglo-Saxon subjects, or rather subjects that are known sellers in the Anglo-Saxon world (predominantly the US). That is - in general - a problem of the market-segment that most reviewed books belonging to the ‘popular military history’ come from.

I think one should also consider how many basic Thirty-Years War manuscripts - in English - are floating around out there looking for a publisher. (Probably none.) I suspect Osprey is like most magazines: They print what people submit. If no one has written or at least outlined an English language book on the subjects you've mentioned, then I don't imagine you will see Osprey releasing one either.

KL

That really depends on how they organize the series - they could as well be 'commissions' as in fact many of these types of things are; for instance, for an entry in an encyclopedia, either specific or general 'call for authors' will go out. The format actually strongly suggests it its this - or at best, send in a proposal - rather than the send-in an article method that is how they do write the series.

The series itself already forms the outline of the proposal, and determines how any volume should be written, due to its format.

And I am not completely sure, but from what I have come across, apart from the trips to the battlefield, there is relatively little 'origina' research involved, that is, most authors seem to rely on secondary literature, not a reading of the original sources - many of which are already available in modern editions. Something which is perfectly fine for this type of book.

That there might no be a manuscript in English available is no excuse - if that would be the reason NOT to publish and ignore the subject it is simply a damning indictment of the publisher.

I actually once sent an email, and the respons was basically - at that time - as I understood it, 'maybe sometime later, but it is not currently in our planning because it will not sell (enough).' Military historians with a decent reputation have run into the same problem with publishers of 'popular military history': if it will not sell in the US/UK you start with two strikes against you, and chances are it will not get published. Indeed, most publishers will go for a near rehash of what has already been done. Hence the continuous overload Normandy books, for instance.

bill_c
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 04:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I ordered the LSSAH artillery book based on your review.

Thanks, Mark, you just made my whole week!

Quoted Text

Thank you for your book reviews as well as your (excellent) model reviews.

You're most welcome, and thanks for the kind words.

Harm, given the relative ease of self-publishing these days, have you given any thought to writing your own book about a favorite topic?
bizzychicken
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 967 posts
Armorama: 842 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 05:42 AM UTC
Hi Bill well i must be one of the few , but I look forward and read the book reviews 1st.(Thanks to all the reviewers) I spend has much on books has kits. A book is for life, I find much more time is spent looking through them than on spending it at the work bench. In the last month I've spent £££££ Tankgrand's Feldherrnhalle and Herbert poller's book on SS Pnz Aufkl Abt 11 Nordland alone cost close on £80 Wendy at Aviation & Military book center loves me. I'd recomend her they're service is great. I most probably spend £40 on kits this month. Some people build kits just for the building plessure others like myself love the history of a build, so read more reference books . I suppose its down to what you want out of a build. Anyway back to the pages of TIGERS IN THE MUD great read, I sound like a real book worm cheers Geraint
DutchBird
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 05:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Harm, given the relative ease of self-publishing these days, have you given any thought to writing your own book about a favorite topic?

I am currently trying to rework my MA-thesis into an article, or a series of articles.

Unfortunately I am in no position to do the research needed for writing and publishing a book... but yeah, I have a few items/subjects I would like/love to get into. A number of thenm related to WW II, but also a few related to other periods...

Cheers,

Harm
 _GOTOTOP