_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
MSN CHATROOMS
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 07:27 PM UTC
It has just been announced by M$N, that from next month, all their chatrooms are going to be shut down. The only access to chatrooms is going to be via subscription. Now this is going to affect some of us on Armorama, because the chatroom most of us use is the MSN one. The reason for this announcement, is that MSN are worried about the amount of paedophiles using their chatrooms to ensnare children. The more cynical amongst us might think that this is an excellent justification to charge for the service.... There is also a certain nervousness that lawsuits may start appearing aginst MSN for not correctly policing their sites... Anyone out there got any more info? This post is based on news stories on Fox News and Sky News....Jim
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 07:35 PM UTC
Wow...first the calendar is not for free, now the chat? I think the whole group system will likely be dumped at some point. That's going to be a lot of communities without a home.

Glad we have our own server!

Jim
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 1,538 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 07:47 PM UTC
I also read that on CNN. The Pigs will be without a Sty once more
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 09:01 PM UTC
Maybe too many people behaved like pigs in the MSN-chat rooms(++) (++) (++) . My guess is that MSN are happy to use the paedophilia issue to cut losses. But rest assure : the laws of economy don't like vacuums. Others will step in to fill the gap...

Golikell
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 914 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 09:36 PM UTC
I've heard the message on Dutch radio too. Jim, do you have contacts with these guys? Maybe you can get more info from them?
How about the web albums? Will they remain available.
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Armorama: 1,905 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 11:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It has just been announced by M$N, that from next month, all their chatrooms are going to be shut down

Aye Carumba!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's quite a group of Armorama folks that use this chat extensively and have formed some pretty good friendships as a result----however, Jim provides rooms right here on the site---Thank goodness for Jim "Da Man"!!!!!!

Steve
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 03:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

It has just been announced by M$N, that from next month, all their chatrooms are going to be shut down

Aye Carumba!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's quite a group of Armorama folks that use this chat extensively and have formed some pretty good friendships as a result----however, Jim provides rooms right here on the site---Thank goodness for Jim "Da Man"!!!!!!

Steve

Ironically I had just deactivated the links on the homepage the other day to boost load times (I never see anybody using our chat area!). But not to fear, I am testing out a newer improved chat module that may be a good replacement for the MSN chat.

You can try it out here (just enter a temporary username / password as it's not tied to the site user database as yet).

www.armorama.com/chat

Cheers,
Jim
CRS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
Armorama: 406 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 05:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ironically I had just deactivated the links on the homepage the other day to boost load times (I never see anybody using our chat area!).

Well so much for the "Monthly Meeting" in the Mess Hall.
sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 379 posts
Armorama: 150 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 06:01 AM UTC
They don't care about pedophiles or children, it's ONLY about money. The chatrooms are currently FREE- and that's "not a good thing" (to paraphrase another Jerry's Kid of Capitalism).
Of course the service will return in some form as a fee based service- and as long as the money is green (or peach in the case of the $20 bill) they couldn't care less how many pedophiles use the service.

Peter
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 805 posts
Armorama: 286 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 07:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well so much for the "Monthly Meeting" in the Mess Hall.

The Mess Hall wasn't MSN. Jim is working on getting us a better 'in-house' chat program so the monthly meetings aren't over.
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 07:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well so much for the "Monthly Meeting" in the Mess Hall

Oh no, that's not true.... I've tried out the new Chatroom onboard this site, and I'm quite happy with it.... There's plenty of room for the monthly meetings, so join in !
CRS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
Armorama: 406 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 07:47 AM UTC
TwistedFate - Eagle - Roger that, I just hadn't seen it when I made the remark.
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
Armorama: 1,227 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 07:47 AM UTC
JEEZ, Gates probably just wants more money... ...I'd hate to see our armorama chat close down! And I don't have the budget to pay for subscription!,and wnyway,if a child abuser is going to do it,they are going to pay anyway,heck they do the same for aol!
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 07:49 AM UTC
What about using Yahoo messenger?

staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 08:08 AM UTC
Pardon my yelling...

The new chat link is up on the homepage (side menu) and it shows who is currently chatting (just not the room they are in). If you use this area simply enter your callsign and then click "default" as the room and hit submit. No password is needed because you are just creating a temporary account.

I would not bother with registering at this point because eventually I will tie this login to the sites cookie system so you won't have to login/register twice.

Thanks,
Jim
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 805 posts
Armorama: 286 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 09:08 AM UTC
It also seems to have a 10 character limit for User Names, so those of us with long names have a problem. I ended up as TwistedFat when I tried the first time
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 09:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It also seems to have a 10 character limit for User Names, so those of us with long names have a problem. I ended up as TwistedFat when I tried the first time

I can fix this most likely.

As to the speed issue Wildcat mentions, yes all the non-corporate (MSN-AOL) based chat engines are slower than the ones they run. Of course they are running much more complex code and on VERY beefy clustered servers.

A note about other chat services like Yahoo. I already own the exact same Java based chat engine that Yahoo employs. These are ICQ driven systems (much like AIM and MSN messenger) and there are inherent security risks with these systems (not AIM and MSN but Yahoo-type). ICQ chat actually opens up an open port to your computer and this port can "possibly" be used to gain access to your machine. Users can also be tricked into running malicious scripts on these ICQ chat systems.

This is why I have not gone that route.

THanks,
Jim
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 1,538 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 12:09 PM UTC
The new chat module looks nice. I hope it's faster and more stable than the old Mess Hall that was haunted by the Cleaning Lady that kicks anyone or everyone out at random. Good thing about the onsite chat modules is that I can use them even when I'm in the office. I think our firewall closes all the ports that IM apps use.

Thanks Jim!
 _GOTOTOP