_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Tamiya Tiger2, 70's release.......many pics.
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2011 - 04:10 AM UTC
Can't really say why I bought this thing, but it was $5. It sat on the shelf while I did Tamiya's newer Porsche turret KT, and the comparison between the two kits was amusing, to say the least. Well, a set of Friuls scored from a vender at a show last year and a CMK barrel and mantlet from the LHS for a very reasonable price and I was out of excuses........
All the detail on the hull sides was cleaned off, vearious bits and pieces added on hull and turret and away I went. This was a lot of fun, knowing that I had no real prototype to model, so I used modeling articles as references rather than actual vehicles. I also fudged on the paint, wanting a late-war look but no primer. Anyway, it's done except for the base and a fig. Remember, I was not trying to model an actual vehicle, but rather get the "look" of something that may have been rolling around Hungary or Berlin. Let me know what you think, and thanks for looking.
Turret, no paint:
Hull, no paint:

In primer, Krylon automotive red oxide:

My interpretation of Dk Yellow:

Initial camo:

And finished:

Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2011 - 04:42 AM UTC
That King has taken a beating !! Real nice job on this one.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2011 - 04:53 AM UTC
Definitely a veteran.
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2011 - 04:14 AM UTC
Thanks guys. I was after a beaten-up but still functional look, and thought this kit ideal to try out some new (to me) techniques on.
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2011 - 08:02 PM UTC
@rfbaer - Russel,

I think you did a really good job with this old kit. I'm not sure if you intentionally textured the turret before painting but it looks terrific! I like the vehicle without the camouflage applied (4th photograph from the top), just my personal preference, because it looks so real. I don't know what you applied over the dark yellow base coat but it came off well and makes the vehicle appear worn but well maintained and ready for action.

Thanks for sharing and posting your build.
-Eddy
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2011 - 07:15 AM UTC
Thanks, Eddy. I used Mr Surfacer 500 on the turret to get some texture and depth, trying to get the look of rolled plate. The old Tamiya kit had a pebbly texture on everything which I thought dated it pretty badly. I sanded it off where I could, and used the Mr Surfacer liberally. I also sanded and scraped all the molded-on detail off the hull sides.
I almost left it in the dk yellow, looked good to me too. A major reason for doing the 3-tone was experimentation: I wanted to try for a worn look by using acrylics over enamel. Basically, I used MM Modern Desert Tan over the Krylon primer. I then used several filters of Tamiya dk yellow (XF-60), then scrubbed with an alcohol-moistened Q-tip. A coat of MM clear flat was applied, and the green (Vallejo 2030 RLM 80 Olivegrun) and MM (PanzerSchokladnbraun) were applied in two coats, with a brush. Then back with the alcohol and Q-tip, followed be pigments, wet and dry. I used a brush mainly because I don't own an airbrush, partly due to the restrictions of my modeling space, partly out of stubborness.
The Vallejo paint was MUCH easier to remove then the MM paint. Next time, I'll find an appropriate Vallejo color, but I didn't have any handy when I did this. All in all, it was a lot of fun, and I'll use this method again, both for camo and monotone schemes. I've got a few of these old Tamiya kits in progress and in the stash, great canvases for trying paint techniques. I pulled a T34 off the shelf after I finished this one, something I started a couple of years ago, and am going to try a Russian green scheme using these same methods. This would work on a winter white-wash scheme also.
The only precaution I can offer is that the construction has to fairly robust, since the scrubbing process can be tough on detail.
Braille
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2011 - 09:11 AM UTC
@rfbaer - Russel,

Thanks for the reply it is much appreciated. After looking through your post again I found that I also like the sixth photograph from the top. I don't know why but it looks so weathered and natural on your bench. You have added all of the details that would have appeared very late in the war to your Kingtiger. With the one exception of placing each of the welded camouflage foliage hoops on both sides of the turret at 90 degrees from horizontal you did an excellent job.

Have fun with your T-34 build and post some picks when your finished.

-Eddy
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 03:30 AM UTC
Thanks, Eddy. The cardboard backdrop kind of looks like concrete, doesn't it....
The error on the hoops is totally mine, I didn't check more than one example when I did them. I also did the spare track holders to hold the two-piece links, and used the one.piece links on the tank, so they don't "hang" close enough to the turret sides to be secured. Oops......

T-34 is started (again, it's been on the shelf for a couple of years) and I'll get some pics up when I have some significant progress.
Berlin45
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 96 posts
Armorama: 74 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 06:52 PM UTC
AWESOME. It looks like 'the newest thing' to step out of an 80's vintage Military Modeler magazine! I love 'sprucing up' old kits and you've done a bang-up job, my good chap!
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2011 - 04:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

AWESOME. It looks like 'the newest thing' to step out of an 80's vintage Military Modeler magazine! I love 'sprucing up' old kits and you've done a bang-up job, my good chap!

Why thank you sir! It was too much fun, at least as rewarding as doing a new technology kit, maybe even more so.
Coolaznkid
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 74 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2011 - 04:21 AM UTC
very nice interpretation!
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, August 12, 2011 - 12:16 AM UTC
Thanks!
bmikk1
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 136 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2011 - 04:24 AM UTC
Top notch weathering Russel, I am looking forward to seeing what you do with your T-34!
clovis899
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 774 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2011 - 01:34 PM UTC
For five bucks you got yourself a winner there. Sometimes these old pieces give you a bit more satisfaction than the the latest and greatest.

"Slide molds; we don't need no stinkin' slide molds!"..... or something like that!

Rick
Herr_Alvaro
Visit this Community
Cordoba, Argentina
KitMaker: 13 posts
Armorama: 9 posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2011 - 11:01 AM UTC
It looks great... and only 5 dollars you said?... great job and above all a great deal
Regards
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2011 - 04:07 AM UTC
Thanks, all!
I've been away from the internet for a while, but have progress on the T34, which I'll try and get up on a separate thread soon.
Took the Tiger to a local IPMS show a couple of weeks age, it looked good on the table but that was it, understandably. It was still so much fun that I'm on the lookout for Tamiya's later kit and another set of Friuls........
lukiftian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 791 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2011 - 06:21 AM UTC
Isn't it that much more rewarding to take an obsolete kit and turn it into a museum piece? There should be a separate award just for that.

Congratulations and welcome to the 'next level'.
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 03:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Isn't it that much more rewarding to take an obsolete kit and turn it into a museum piece? There should be a separate award just for that.

Congratulations and welcome to the 'next level'.

It was extraordinarily rewarding, and "Thank you"!
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 08:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It looks great... and only 5 dollars you said?... great job and above all a great deal
Regards

Right, $5 for the kit, $10 for the barrel and mantlet, and around $25 for the Friuls. All in all, one of the lower investments in a kit plus aftermarket parts I've scored in a while.
And "Thanks"!
 _GOTOTOP