how do i make earth/turf
juniormodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 24 posts
Armorama: 24 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2011 - 09:15 AM UTC
hi all,

i was woundering how to make homade earth and turf.

unfortuantly there is no one who sells turf

any help???
AndyMcHun
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 47 posts
Armorama: 39 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2011 - 11:02 AM UTC
Hi Justin!

Making earth or soil effect is very easy and cheap. You only have to collect some dirt from your garden and mix it up with some PVA glue than you can spread the mixture on the base you want to use and allow to dry.

As for turf, I would recommend you to check the wide selection of Silflor products. They are not cheap but absolutely worth the price. Only the real looks more realistic

http://www.sceneryexpress.com/departments.asp?dept=1040

Hope it was helpful

Andy
4-BO-Green
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 270 posts
Armorama: 230 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2011 - 09:38 PM UTC
Eh, Sharon help me understand this...

I don,t see the relation of a golfclub and a guy who asks a serieus question about scenery modeling...

Awaiting your reaction...

Regarts,

Remco
razorboy
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 317 posts
Armorama: 307 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2011 - 12:11 AM UTC
This method for making vehicle mud is the same method that I use for making groundwork / turf. Sprinkle some Woodland scenics ground cover over it while it is wet and there you go. https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/2584
rb
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2011 - 12:13 AM UTC
Cheap coffe grounds, some senic glue, and flat coat. Looks just like soil and a can will cover a large area.
philter4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2011 - 12:43 PM UTC
I agree with Andy about 95%, I like the mats produced by Model Scenic better then Silflor, but I think this is just a preference, I have used both and don't see a big difference in the end results. His dirt and PVA glue idea is great and a very inexpensive and effective way to make earth.

Also even though Silflor is one of the best grass products out there it is only 1 of 3 different brands that I consider using, the other two are the above mentioned mats by Model Scenic, a Czech made product available from Military Miniature Warehouse, and the other by Heki, available from Scenic Express where you get the Silflor grass. These are not cheap but by far the best you could buy.

There are much less expensive ways to make turf, the easiest is just use any of the turf products by Woodland Scenics. They are just a powder that when applied to the groundwork of the diorama base looks like grass (not like Silflor grass but still grass), or use a static grass product. The only drawback to a static grass is you have to make or buy an applicator. The static grass is similar to the turf but stands up like grass when an electric charge is given to the individual pieces of material. I have made my own applicator and it was easy, cost about $8 and took only about 20 minutes to actually make. It took more time to watch the YouTube video on "how to make a static grass applicator" then to actually make the applicator.

Good luck and I hope that helps.
zhengwei4226
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 29 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2011 - 09:55 PM UTC
for soil, you could try standard wall filler mixed with paint.
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
Armorama: 985 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 2011 - 04:57 AM UTC
for grass I use oneof those matsthey use for hanging baskets very cheap and you can cut it to any shape you want.
posty1978
Visit this Community
Karnataka, India / भारत
KitMaker: 186 posts
Armorama: 161 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2011 - 12:06 AM UTC
I have found plaster of paris the most effective one for base turf. Spray paint with earth colors, then glue some cork powder and finish with Woodland Scenic products or ground basil or any herbs...
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Armorama: 1,468 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2011 - 02:17 AM UTC
For ground work I use what is called baby sand. It is really small grains of fine sand, I mean really small. Glue mixture applied and sprinkle it on. When dry, tilt the base to remove any loose stuff and paint. I use cheap acrylic paints and the paint covers the sand enough to keep a texture but blends it in well enough to look like dirt in 1/35th scale. For grass, I use static grass from woodland scenics. 1st layer is a dark green and work my way up to lighter colors. I don't use a electric charger to make it stand up as I do vignetts and the area is smaller, so a large pair of twizzers do the job. When I add the last layer I kind of stir it in and it stands up in clumps well enough. I have not used any of the grass matts yet but have seen photos of them and some look real good.
 _GOTOTOP