_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Tiger I mid. prod.
The-Mechanic
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 103 posts
Armorama: 35 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2011 - 12:58 AM UTC
Hi Guys

Here's another one I finished a couple of months ago. I got this kit second hand with the main hull structure and turret shell built. The Zimmerit came with the kit and was being used on the tank, but it was for the AFV kit, not the Tamiya one. Which meant some parts did not match up correctly on the model. But a bit of alteration and filling with some Green Putty sorted these problems out.

She has been painted in the colours of tank number 131 of the sPzAbt 101 stationed in Normandy in July 1944. Luckily, I managed to find a photograph of this actual tank on the web from the same period and tried to copy the patterns and weathering.

Mick

bmikk1
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 136 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2011 - 04:00 AM UTC
Great model Mick! What did you use for the heavy, dark weathering on the wheels/tracks/bottom hull? Is it a wash or pastels?
The-Mechanic
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2011 - 07:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What did you use for the heavy, dark weathering on the wheels/tracks/bottom hull? Is it a wash or pastels?

For the weathering on this model, I just various paints from my stock. On this model I used Revell's Aquacolor Dark Earth for the main colour, then the thin mixes of Tamiya paint that I have for weathering. These are all airbrushed onto the model. As this model is based on one in July, there was no need for me to add any build ups on mud on the model.

But I do use chalk pastels, Carrs weathering powders and scenic scatter on other models I have weathered.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2011 - 08:06 AM UTC
What are the three main camo colors you used? I'll come out of my hole long enough to invest in a new brand of paint based on your results. That Tiger looks outstanding. IMHO It could use a little more stowage, as it hardly looks lived in. At that, it could use some light rust on the tracks. They would be as or more suseptable than the hinges.
The-Mechanic
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 11, 2011 - 08:28 AM UTC
I used Tamiya's paints for the camo as per the instructions. They were XF-60 Dark Yellow, XF-61 DarkGreen and XF-64 Red Brown.

This was done as a quick build in-between other projects, so extra detailing was not on the cards for this model.
 _GOTOTOP