_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Tamiya Panther A started Q on wheels
harry5518
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2011 - 02:52 AM UTC
Hello. i have started the panther Ausf A from Tamiya and it seems ok for my first model. I have only one question on the wheels. Do i glue the wheels onto the hull or do i just glue the wheel caps and leave them so they are able to spin around and have a bit of free movement?

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2011 - 03:41 AM UTC
Your call. So long as they aren't falling off the model.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2011 - 03:57 AM UTC
If it is the model I believe it is then it was designed to be a rug runner and no glue is required.
harry5518
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2011 - 01:43 PM UTC
yeah i think it is designed to be a 'rug runner' as you say. Its an old tamiya kit, and it apparently has a oversized turret. it even has the option of becoming motorised i think, because it has several openings in the bottom of the lower hull.
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2011 - 02:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello. i have started the panther Ausf A from Tamiya and it seems ok for my first model. I have only one question on the wheels. Do i glue the wheels onto the hull or do i just glue the wheel caps and leave them so they are able to spin around and have a bit of free movement?

The wheels will be easier to paint and weather if they can rotate.

Personally, I leave the wheels off the model to paint and weather, but that's just me. Plenty of other builders paint after complete assembly with good results.

But in this case, you can get the best of both worlds if you allow the wheels to rotate. For this kit, I believe the "poly caps" just press on anyways, so you can easily install the wheels at any time during the building and finishing process.

My .02 cents...
harry5518
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2011 - 06:52 PM UTC
yeah i just put the polycaps on. at least i will have the later option of taking the wheels off later. the instuctions said to shave off the pins on the idler wheels, and i followed it. the model is progressing well. will be making the gun and turret next.
 _GOTOTOP