Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2012 - 10:17 AM UTC
hi Ed,This is looking great!! following eagerly
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 385 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 - 10:40 AM UTC
I'm back with another update, even though it isn't about what I had planned on. After my last update, I decided that my efforts at scribing the stone pattern on the lower portion of the base weren't up to snuff so I decided to start over using patterned plastic sheet. I picked up the necessary materials yesterday and I'll be tackling that part of the project in the very near future.
In the meantime I did more work on the figures. All refrences to location correspond to the picture of the base with labels added. First up a few in progress shots:

Next some pics of the American figures just about ready for painting:

These two guys will be peering around the corner of building B close to the sidewalk:

These guys are about to enter building B, one kicking in the door, the other ready to rush in:

These two are currently about half done:

Next are pics of the German figures almost ready for painting:

These two guys will be next to the retaining wall amid the rubble of building C. The one on the right will be armed with a panzerfaust.

This last group of pics shows a rough mock-up of the action between buildings A and B. Two American infantrymen are rounding up two prisoners, one of whom (the one laying prone) is wounded. While this is going on a third American is keeping an eye on the area on the other side of the fence in case any other German troops are hiding over there.

I hope the two close-ups show just how effective the Hornet scared faces head set is at capturing fear on those men's faces.
Next up it's back to getting the base reworked and getting more painting done there, as well as some more figure work. I'll have pics as soon as possible.
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 10:17 AM UTC
Time for another update. I finished painting and basic weathering of the road, sidewalk, cobblestones, and retaining wall.
First up are pics of the overall base from front and back:

Next are closer views of the graffiti:

The next two pics are closer up to the retaining wall and lower level cobblestones as well as the stairs:

Finally are two shots from directly overhead, the first giving a closer view of the manhole cover:

Basic painting was done with acrylics, while oil washes, oil dot filtering, and pigments were used for weathering.
Next I plan on making buildings A and B at the back of the base as well as their associated landscaping. More updates as soon as possible.
bizzychicken
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 967 posts
Armorama: 842 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 11:00 AM UTC
KEEP IT FLOWING Great work! Cheers Geraint
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 10:03 AM UTC
It's been a while, but I'm back with a brief update on the build. I've been plugging away in between dealing with a couple of relatively minor but time consuming family health issues, and managed to complete most of the construction and base painting on buildings A and B.

I haven't done any weathering yet, so they're both overly bright and somewhat garish, but I wanted to use those buildings to add a little color to an otherwise drably colored scene. I also need to fix the foundation on building B. I tried to take the slope of the base into consideration when cutting the walls out of foam, but an adjustment is pretty necessary but thankfully pretty simple.
I also finished making building C.

Building C is also visible in the first pic, and because it's going to be buried in rubble I don't need to do a ton of detail work beyond what can be accomplished by painting.
Next up will be tweaking building B's foundation, weathering, adding a few detail parts to both structures, then adding roofs and closing up the backs of both buildings. Hopefully the next update won't be as long in the making as this one.
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2012 - 10:35 AM UTC
Time at last for another update. I've finished construction, painting, and most of the weathering for buildings A and B.
First, a couple of views of building A.

The bedsheet/white flag was cut from a handkerchief, the gutters and window are by Hansa Systems, and, it may be difficult to see because the pic isn't the clearest, there's a blue curtain made from lead foil just inside the window. The door is from a Custom Dioramics kit, the rest of the structure is scratchbuilt.
Next, a few pics of building B. Sorry in advance for a couple of them being blurry.

A couple of the window shutters and the door are by Hansa Systems, the gutters are by Mini Art, the rest is scratchbuilt.
Finally, here are a couple of pics of both buildings in what will be their final location on the base. The chopsticks are placeholders for the fenceposts that will be installed once the houses are permanently set in place.

That's it for now. Next up is fixing the buildings in place, installing doorsteps, and putting down a layer of celluclay for the groundwork around the houses. I'll also get building C painted and in place and, in all likelihood, get some more work done on the figures. More updates to follow.
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2012 - 05:04 PM UTC
Here's the latest on the build. I've secured buildings A and B in place and finished most of the landscaping around them, as well as install the fence.
First up are three pics of the buildings in place and the yards.

I still need to do a little more work adjusting the color of the mossy areas of the yards, as well as a couple of touch-ups and a little damage to both buildings. Otherwise, all this area needs are the figures and the rain barrel to be finished.
Next is a mock-up with in progress buildings C and D set in place.

Building C, being very simple, is almost done. Building D needs a couple of interior walls for the ground floor rooms, as well as more wreckage indicating the remains of the second and third floors. Both buildings also require a substantial amount of rubble and debris.
Finally, here is a mock-up of the base with all buildings as well as vehicles in place, or at least close to it.

In addition to my progress on the buildings, I have almost all of the figures at least to the basic posing phase of construction, so most of them should be ready for painting shortly. It's starting to feel like the project is entering the home stretch. Next up is finishing and installing the basic structures of buildings C and D, beginning the layering process for the rubble, and more work on the figures. Hope to have another update very soon.
SoumiArbs
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 90 posts
Armorama: 87 posts
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2012 - 09:28 PM UTC
Excellant work. keep us posted.
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2012 - 09:20 AM UTC
Back with a fairly quick update. I've finished basic painting and weathering of buildings C and D and attached them to the base.
First up are a couple of pics showing both sides of building C.

I didn't worry too much about the floor because it's going to be covered with rubble.
Next, a couple of views of building D. In my over enthusiastic drive to get the building in place, I forgot to take pics of it off the base. Sorry in advance for the pics not being so great as a result.

As I said in the last update, I'll install the remants of the upper floors as the rubbling process (if that's a word) progresses in order to avoid repeatedly knocking off the partial floors. The rough edges of the ground floor by the wall will be covered with rubble, so no worries there.
Finally, here's an updated shot of the base with all four structures in place.

Next for the base is laying out styrofoam to serve as the substructure for the mountains of rubble necessary around buildings C and D. Before I get to that, I want to get more work done on the figures as well as a tweak or two for the vehicles. More updates when they're ready.
panzerconor
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,271 posts
Armorama: 1,253 posts
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2012 - 02:50 PM UTC
This is great, can't wait to see the figures
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2012 - 03:51 AM UTC
Everything here is coming along very nicely. Love the figure mods. and they tell a good story.
J
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 - 02:35 PM UTC
Back again with a fairly brief update. I've finished construction of all but two of the figures. A couple of them might need a tweak or two, but otherwise they're ready for painting.
Here are two views of one group of figures.

There are two Germans in the mix, one a fleeing panzer crewman, the other a deceased fallschirmjager.
Next are two views of the last group of figures.

These guys aren't pinned like the others because they're going to be mounted on either the M4A3 or the M3A1. Don't worry about the dude with no hands, he'll be complete when assembled with the loader's 50 caliber on the Sherman. The only figures left to build are two panzer crewmen, but I won't worry about them until the panther is in place.
Next on the agenda is starting to lay down the rubble and getting the figures painted. Hope to have more to show soon.
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 - 07:59 PM UTC
I like the layout of your dio.

How did you do your roof tiles? Looks familiar to me :-)

Claude
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 - 09:33 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies to the last couple of updates. As for your question Claude, I cut the tiles out of black paper, sort of like construction paper, only a bit heavier. I can't remember where I got the stuff but I've had it for ages. As far as the technique looking familiar, well, it's possible that I saw it online or read about it in a book somewhere.
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,716 posts
Armorama: 1,638 posts
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 - 10:09 AM UTC
Ed ,, You know i am glad that i have been very busy and haven't really had the time to look at your diorama ..why ? ,,simple ... because now that i came across it again mate seriously cool stuff going on here .. the Panther turned out brilliant and all that crap on it really makes it look the part ,,
The Sherman again is looking very very nice and the armour add on's look very nice indeed ,,love how the rope turned out too ,,really looks like its got weight hanging on it
The half track ,,well hell they look brilliant no matter what and where they are

Now to the buildings and beach front ..KICK ASS!!!!
I am not going to miss this again ..i am going to be watching real close now as this is really turning into something special ,great work all round man ..very cool

Oh the figures ,,i suck that those so i am watching your work on those ,,copy time buddy

Phill
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2012 - 04:54 PM UTC
Back with another update on the build, but first let me say thanks to Phill for all your kind words. Feel free to copy any and all techniques you wish to. Goodness knows how many tricks I've borrowed from other builders.
As far as the build is concerned, I've sorted out the tracks for the Panther. This was a bit complicated by the way one side would be hanging in the air while the other would be broken. Here are a few pics showing the tracks fitted in place before removal for painting.

I also need to add some spare links to the holders on the hull.
Once I had the Panther's tracks sorted out, I went ahead and added the celluclay for the base of the rubble around building D and the retaining wall. Here are some pics of the area, before and after celluclay application.

The grandfather clock is by Verlinden, while the easy chair is from plusmodel. There are a few variations to the color of the celluclay because I tend to work with small amounts, tinting each as I make it, to avoid having a bunch left over to potentially waste. I didn't add enough paint to the celluclay around building C, but that will be easy to fix with an appropriately colored wash.
Things are moving along quite nicely now. My next steps are to get the panther's tracks painted, weathered, and installed, as well as add a layer of larger debris over the celluclay once it's dried. I also plan on getting in some quality painting time with the figures. I'll post more updates as soon as I can.
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,716 posts
Armorama: 1,638 posts
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2012 - 06:20 PM UTC
Ed ,, It's looking good buddy and the small parts make it come to life .. now there is one problem and hopefully its easy to fix ,, its the suspension on the Panther ,,with that track hanging down the road wheels would still be very close to touching it .
When a tank with torsion bar suspension is lifted the suspension will drop and also depending on the length of the suspension arm can depend on how far it will drop .
The Panther's suspension arms are quite long so at best bet right now the arm will drop about 6 mm ( 0.236 in ) below the bottom of the hull and it should look pretty damn close .
Heres a couple of pics to show just how far the arms drop when the weight is lifted .

Hope this won't be to hard to solve Ed mate .

Phill
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 2012 - 08:53 AM UTC
Thanks for dropping by and your observations Phill. I knew that the suspension of the panther would be an issue due mainly to the fact that I had either the first or second issue of the kit, which had the suspension molded in place.
I wasn't all that comfortable with the idea of trying to cut the arms off and reposition them because that would do a fair deal of damage around the mounts. At the same time the hobby budget was somewhat limited, so buying a replacement kit wasn't a great option either.
In the end I found a picture of an overturned panther that had a couple of road wheels that seemed to be defying gravity and hanging fully away from the hull. Since my panther would be canted and not hanging level, I reasoned that the wheels might not hang down so far. I know that's awfully thin justification for my use of the kit as is, but out of all the alternatives that was the one I was most willing to go with. Hopefully in the final analysis that oddity/inaccuracy won't detract too much from the final scene as a whole.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 2012 - 09:15 AM UTC
Ed-- regarding your figures, what type filler are you applying?
thanks
DJ
hogarth
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 2012 - 12:17 AM UTC
Looks great so far!

I haven't read through the entire thread, but one nitpick: I'd find a new spot for the entrenching tools on the backs of the Americans....they should be on their belts or attached to packs, not just slapped willy nilly on their backs, as there's no where to attach them in the middle of their backs in real life.

I like your conversions, though, and the buildings look great so far.

Rob
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 2012 - 09:08 AM UTC
Thanks to one and all for dropping by and asking questions or making comments.
DJ - I use four different types of fillers with my figures. For the major conversions requiring rebuilding limbs, I use relatively inexpensive two part epoxy putty to build up most of the limb. Right now I'm using a quick setting plumber's epoxy, but any will do. Once that has set I use Miliput white to replicate clothing. To fill the usual small gaps on figures I use Squadron white putty. I finish off coversions by brushing on a thin coat of home made brushable putty that I made my mixing Squadron white putty into an old bottle of Testors liquid cement. This stuff helps fill in small scratches and smooth out the transitions between putty and plastic. It also comes in handy to replicate texture on armour when applied fairly thickly.

Rob - I placed the entrenching tools on the backs of many of the figures based on footage in the documentary Embedded: 1945. This showed a large number of armored infantry from the Third Armored Division carrying their entrenching tools in just such a manner. It appears they slipped their harnesses as far as the crossbelts through the belt loops on the entrenching tool covers. I wouldn't have thought of mounting the tools like this without having seen the footage, but it makes sense because it would be easier to take a seat on a halftrack with the entrenching tool higher up on the carrier's body.
I hope to have progress pics up in the next day or two.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 2012 - 09:56 AM UTC
Ed-- many thanks for the feedback. I appreciate you taking the time to address my question.
DJ
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 2012 - 09:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks great so far!

I haven't read through the entire thread, but one nitpick: I'd find a new spot for the entrenching tools on the backs of the Americans....they should be on their belts or attached to packs, not just slapped willy nilly on their backs, as there's no where to attach them in the middle of their backs in real life.

I like your conversions, though, and the buildings look great so far.

Rob

Rob-- what they did was take the entrenching tool out of the carrier and place the folded instrument in a piece of their upper webbing.. Made it much easier to get when needed. Ed's placement is realistic, IMHO.
DJ
hogarth
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 2012 - 01:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks to one and all for dropping by and asking questions or making comments.
DJ - I use four different types of fillers with my figures. For the major conversions requiring rebuilding limbs, I use relatively inexpensive two part epoxy putty to build up most of the limb. Right now I'm using a quick setting plumber's epoxy, but any will do. Once that has set I use Miliput white to replicate clothing. To fill the usual small gaps on figures I use Squadron white putty. I finish off coversions by brushing on a thin coat of home made brushable putty that I made my mixing Squadron white putty into an old bottle of Testors liquid cement. This stuff helps fill in small scratches and smooth out the transitions between putty and plastic. It also comes in handy to replicate texture on armour when applied fairly thickly.

Rob - I placed the entrenching tools on the backs of many of the figures based on footage in the documentary Embedded: 1945. This showed a large number of armored infantry from the Third Armored Division carrying their entrenching tools in just such a manner. It appears they slipped their harnesses as far as the crossbelts through the belt loops on the entrenching tool covers. I wouldn't have thought of mounting the tools like this without having seen the footage, but it makes sense because it would be easier to take a seat on a halftrack with the entrenching tool higher up on the carrier's body.
I hope to have progress pics up in the next day or two.

Fair enough. I'm used to seeing figures and vehicles with gear just slapped on all sorts of ways with no thought given to how they actually attach. If you've got good references then roll with it! Great job!

Rob
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2012 - 09:12 AM UTC
Back once again with another update. First though, a couple of shout outs.
DJ - You're very welcome. I'm always happy to give help/advice when I can.
Rob - Thanks for pointing that possible issue out and keeping me honest. It never hurts to have folks checking up on you and making sure you know what you're doing.
As far as the build is concerned, I've made some good progress with the rubble. First up are pics with just bricks, cobblestones and larger pieces of wooden debris in place.

The next set of pics show the next step in the process where I added smaller rubble as well as some brown colored celluclay to reproduce the dirt from the crumbled portion of the road.

Adding the rubble is a progressive process for me, where I'll add rubble one day, then come back the next and fill in any spots I think need more, and so on until I'm happy with the results. I know already that I need to add a lot more wooden debris, so I'll get on that next time.
After I add some additional earthy colors to the dirt area, I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to add the panther to the base once and for all. I'll be sure to post pics of that when it's done, as well as possibly some pics of the figures, which are progressing well. Hope to have that update ready soon.