_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
German Equipment colors
lonewolf
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 478 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 07:01 PM UTC
What's the standard/alternative colors to use for:

Helmets
Gas Mask caninsters
Canteens
Belts
Holsters
Boots
Shovel
Mess kit
weapons like the Kar98, MP40 and the stick type grenades (and magazine cases)

and any other equipment?

Help will be greatly appreciated....I'm getting kinda confused on which colors to use...Every source I find seem to offer some variations...

And one thing, did the SS wear brown winter coats in Russia, 1944?

Thank you alll! ^___^
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Armorama: 1,209 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 09:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What's the standard/alternative colors to use for:

Helmets
Gas Mask caninsters
Canteens
Belts
Holsters
Boots
Shovel
Mess kit
weapons like the Kar98, MP40 and the stick type grenades (and magazine cases)

and any other equipment?

Help will be greatly appreciated....I'm getting kinda confused on which colors to use...Every source I find seem to offer some variations...

And one thing, did the SS wear brown winter coats in Russia, 1944?

Thank you alll! ^___^

I'll try and help you with some of them

helmets were a dark grey colour although some were done in 3 patteren cammo later on in the war they were also white washed during the winter

gas mask cannisters were also grey but the paint came off the ridges of the cannister so a good dry brush will do

canteens the bottle was a browinsh colour like humbrol dark earth the colours wouldnt be all the same due to the material/age of equpt ect the cup would be grey or black? but chipped

belts these were black but some were brown I'd bend a bit of brown into the black to show some wear

holsters were both brown and black

boots were black if jack boots and ankle boots were both brown/black

the shovels had wooden handles and were kept in a black leather pouch I think later ones were a canvas type

mess kit was also grey /greenish depending on paint and would also have loads of chips and scrapes

If your looking for exact colours to use look at the back of a box of dragon figures they give the paint no's for the equipt for gunze and testors you can then convert these colours into other paint manufactors colours
Golikell
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 914 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 09:17 PM UTC
Lonewolf,
Helmets could indeed vary in colour, but the most frequent one is field grey, in the early years it was a darker colour though (more like steelgrey).
Most other devices are also fieldgrey.
Belt in the early days are black and later they could be brown or made out of webbing.
Same goes for slings and holsters. Boots (knee boots ) are black as far as I know.
Weapons: depend on age etc, I've got a Yugoslav Kar, and this one has a dark brown stock, while I''ve seen light brown stocks too, but this is more on the likes like g43,etc..
Hope this helps
Grifter
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 425 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 09:47 AM UTC
As far as I know, most weapons were blued steel (gunmetal) with wood stocks. The stick type (potato masher) grenades had wood handles, with the tops probably grey or steel color.
lonewolf
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 478 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 12:58 AM UTC
Thanks people!

I'll be sure to try these out!

sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,315 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 03:58 AM UTC
Hi. Just got a couple books in from the Military Book Club the other day called "SS: The Secret Archives" by Ian Baxter. In the one on the Eastern Front they show pictures of rifles, smgs and such white-washed for winter conditions. I do believe that this is the first time I've seen photos showing this on small arms. Kind of interesting.

Take care, sgirty
dioman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 485 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 07:06 AM UTC
I have been a militaria collector since I was a teen....and am also in contact with many other collectors in my area....going to a lot of sales that are just for this purpose.....if there's one thing I have learned about colours of German equipment is this.....THERE ARE NO HARD RULES!!!
Yes....most things I have seen have been Field Gray.....but let's not go into the variations of that colour here...we don't have that much time.....Having said that now....I have also seen Dark Gray....a Brownish colour......even colours close to Olive Drab....and different shades of Green.....and yes all of these items were original WWII German equipment pieces.
Good luck
screamingeagle
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Armorama: 595 posts
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2003 - 02:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have been a militaria collector since I was a teen....and am also in contact with many other collectors in my area....going to a lot of sales that are just for this purpose.....if there's one thing I have learned about colours of German equipment is this.....THERE ARE NO HARD RULES!!!
Yes....most things I have seen have been Field Gray.....but let's not go into the variations of that colour here...we don't have that much time.....Having said that now....I have also seen Dark Gray....a Brownish colour......even colours close to Olive Drab....and different shades of Green.....and yes all of these items were original WWII German equipment pieces.
Good luck

What dioman states is absolutely correct. Colors varied. Gas mask canisters and steel helmets DID NOT just come in grey. That's why it's well worth an investment in some good books on uniforms and equipment in the German Wehrmacht & Waffen SS during WW2. You'd be quite interested to see the different color variations of equipment which differed in some unit's and they're branch of service. Yes, "field grey " was quite common, but there were also other colors used as ......slate grey, steel grey, olive green, and so forth. Also equipment for soldiers such as those in the Afrika Korps and some Luftwaffe field divisions had there own distinctive colors.

- ralph
 _GOTOTOP