_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
New Tamiya Finishing Products - BUT
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 - 05:42 AM UTC
The last few years have seen an enormous number of finishing products from a variety of manufacturers. However as far as availability is concerned Tamiya still remains a popular choice. Here''s news of a New product range from the Japanese manufacturer, with a real question mark over what will be its ACTUAL availability...

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Armorama: 30 posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 - 06:01 AM UTC
I bought a bottle of the black accent colour in Antwerp last week so evidently it is on sale in Belgium. It flows very well.
Julian
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 - 06:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I bought a bottle of the black accent colour in Antwerp last week so evidently it is on sale in Belgium.

Possibly getting smuggled in hidden in shipments of cocaine?
Teaker11
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 962 posts
Armorama: 786 posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 - 06:11 AM UTC
I cant even buy paint without mail order now in the states, all hobbyshop in my area are out and Tamiya is not shipping due to something the Nanny state wants. Its nuts.
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Armorama: 30 posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 - 07:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I bought a bottle of the black accent colour in Antwerp last week so evidently it is on sale in Belgium.

Possibly getting smuggled in hidden in shipments of cocaine?

Could be, that one bottle was the entire stock
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 - 07:18 AM UTC
I was given the information that this product was not allowed into the UK and USA, and while it would appear from one post here that it is in Europe I cannot help wondering how long that will be the case. Or maybe just maybe the powers that be will have a change of heart.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 - 07:28 AM UTC
Two LHS in the States tell me they can't get Tamiya paints.
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 - 07:57 AM UTC
Tamiya Paint isn't banned, the problem is with the labeling on the paint itself....I'm sure it doesn't meet California's stupid rules it has saying if you drink it, you might get cancer/die etc....

clovis899
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 774 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 - 08:51 AM UTC
WHAT!!! Scott, are you sure???? If you drink it you might die!!! Oh man, I'm in big trouble. All this time I thought the whole 'paint' thing was an elaborate conspiracy to get my favorite beverage on the shelves here in California. Bummer.

Rick
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
Armorama: 1,143 posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 - 10:15 AM UTC
This seems to be just enamel based paint highly thinned out. One would think that the traditional method of using a dab of artist oils thinned with odorless turps works just as well. Cost is just a few pennies and availability is never an issue.

Perhaps Tamiya should concentrate on getting its current paints, thinners, and glues relabeled and back into our hobby shops, rather then continuing to introduce products that most modelers don't need.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 - 10:35 AM UTC
Joel I've never tried (and probably I'll never do) , but I agree with you. It doesn't seem to be a needful item
HK_sends
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 43 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 - 01:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This seems to be just enamel based paint highly thinned out. One would think that the traditional method of using a dab of artist oils thinned with odorless turps works just as well. Cost is just a few pennies and availability is never an issue.

Perhaps Tamiya should concentrate on getting its current paints, thinners, and glues relabeled and back into our hobby shops, rather then continuing to introduce products that most modelers don't need.

Remember, Tamiya's biggest customer base is in Japan and they continue to sell very well. As far as needless, does anyone "really" need Gunze's Mr. Dissolved Putty? But I know a lot of people that use it.

-HK sends
Jedge3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 258 posts
Armorama: 208 posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 - 03:29 PM UTC
Tamiya's Twitter feed said they hope to have paints back in the US by year end. It was a labeling thing and yes it was California from what I hear. Had to do with importing it since California is where it comes on Tamiya had to play by their rules.
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Armorama: 712 posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 - 04:25 PM UTC
And you know what the problem was... Not everything on the label was in English.. Nanny state indeed.
wedgetail53
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 658 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 - 06:47 PM UTC
It (the paint) is available here in Australia (well, Queensland anyway) and I've tried a bit. Flows well but appears to dry fairly glossy (at least the black does).

Regards

Rob
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Armorama: 248 posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 - 09:51 PM UTC
Typical Nanny state in Uk, wonder they haven't locked up all modelmakers because we own Knives.

Would it work over acrylic, or would it ruin the finish?

I use either Windsor & Newton Artisan oils, they are water soluble & mean I don't need to sets of brushes, or Citidal inks or washes, the citidal washes come in handy when I only want a small amount of one colour and dont have to waste so much oil

Si
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 - 10:14 PM UTC
Personally, I think it's o.k. when a manufacturer like Tamiya produces 'off-the-shelf' solutions like this. Yes, for many it's easier picking up an item like this in a Hobby Store and using it out the bottle.

For years, I was using Windsor & Newton inks for fine-lining on aircraft (they've got an incredible color range) and then, like Simon, picked up some of the Citadel washes which worked equally well.

What, in all this, is absurd, is once again, the nanny state telling us that we can't buy products like this when there are so many MORE dangerous products available all over the place..
 _GOTOTOP