_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Sd.Kfz 7/1 with flakvierling 38
HILBERT
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,808 posts
Armorama: 1,069 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 09:49 AM UTC
Hey Guys,

I have not been sitting still and I am building the Sd.Kfz 7/1 with flakvierling 38 from Trumpeter. Bad kit if you ask me. This kit is for the Kitmaker Benelux campaign, Halftrack Mania!

However, I couldn't resist to use some aftermarket stuff on it. Friuls, Part PE engine hood, tank workdshop front wheels and a few scratchbuild thingies...

I would like to know, should I paint this thing? If so, I would like to make al the doors and so on closed, because I can not go in there anymore with a brush. Secondly, I need to scratchbuild the entire right door because of the scratch and PE parts it won't fit anymore. Otherwise, I would it left open and won't scratchbuild the door.

Anyway, here are some pics, excuses for the bad quality.

Grtz,

Hilbert

Rouse713
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 367 posts
Armorama: 326 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 02:43 PM UTC
Looks very good so far. I know what you mean about the trumpeter kits. Not bad and in the end they look ok. The later halftracks are certainly better than their Sd Kfz 7 artillery version (1st version they released with wrong tire tread pattern).

This kit looks good so far. What camo - unit - year do you plan this build being? I also have a build log under the armor section of a FLAK Sd Kfz 7, but mine will have a 5cm gun.

Mines Bigger!

Ok jking, this build will look really awsome! When building the flakvierling, make sure the barrels aren't all crooked! Thats a showstopper for me on flakvierlings.

Please keep us updated.
HILBERT
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 10:04 PM UTC
Thanks Mark,

I modified the barrels from the trump kit. I have used the RB model barrels and they look awesome! Crooked barrels bothers me as well, so don't worry

Yesterday I started on the shields, but that will be a hell of a job which I have to solder.

I did a dumb thing, I have placed the cab but I did not build the dashboard and other interior parts... I was to fast. Doh!

Thanks for looking!

HILBERT
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 11:26 PM UTC
New update!

Whoops, wrong spelling

Thanks for looking!

Rouse713
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 367 posts
Armorama: 326 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 02, 2011 - 05:29 AM UTC
This looks really good. Sorry to see the gaps in the front. It looks like you took care of that pretty well. Nice job.

I am always very picky now when I buy kits at a store in person. I know if they have the trumpeter offering over the bronco or DML, I usually wait. As much as I want to buy it there, I know I would kick myself wasting 2-4 hours piddling with that kind of stuff.

Are you going to display the barrels at that angle? It looks pretty cool.

Thanks for sharing.
HILBERT
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 02, 2011 - 09:52 PM UTC
Hey Mark,

Yes I know the same problem. For now I have (gladly) only the T-62 from trumpeter left.

The barrel will be at this angle. Yesterday I have rivetted (proper word?) the cab.
The gaps are my fault. I placed the firewall to far to the back, as result, the engine won't fit anymore, the fender same problem. So I had to do something about it and this is the result so far.

Thanks for looking!

Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2011 - 08:07 PM UTC
@HILBERT – Hilbert,

I think your doing a really good job with this kit. You’ve make lot of improvements and somehow you’ve corrected for something you did wrong - well saved!

I don’t know about these kits but did it come with an engine exhaust pipe? I see you are using a copper wire to replicate this, but it is out of scale and far to thin in diameter. On the real vehicle you would not be able to start the vehicle due to the amount of backpressure. See if you can scrounge up a length of solder about the same diameter as the pipe on the other end of the muffler. The solder is very easy to bend and in that diameter it will hold its shape. Just use a little vinegar on a cotton swap followed with some baking soda and water mix (to neutralize the acid contend in the vinegar) to clean it up before painting.

Keep it coming,
~ Eddy
HILBERT
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2011 - 01:54 AM UTC
Hey Eddy.

I replaced the exaust pipe with a piece of rod. Although i didn't make the whole pipe, just the piece you'll see.

Thanks for the comments!

Hilbert
HILBERT
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 - 08:22 AM UTC
Gents,

A small update here. I have to do a lot of thing though.

- Making new rivets on the roof,
- Adding space markers
- Finishing the Flakvierling
- And much more

Pics are bad... so i'll hope you'll like it.

Thanks for looking!

Hilbert

BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 - 08:53 AM UTC
Hi Hilbert,

Fantastic build! thats a cool AA halftrack.
im subscribing!

Gary
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 - 11:40 AM UTC
Nice build Hilbert! Looks like you´ll have to slow down a bit and do more dry fitting in future!! Good save though. The etch adds some nice details to the engine area.
 _GOTOTOP