_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Trumpeter Selbstfahrlafette L/61 Sturer Emil
bmikk1
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 136 posts
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2011 - 08:20 AM UTC
Here is my latest, Trumpeter's 1/35 "Sturer Emil." It is a descent kit and can usually be found under 20$ usd. The only real drawback to the kit is the lackluster vinyl tracks, they don't hold paint very well and are a very hard compound.
I built it straight from the box and used it as a test bed to experiment with fading/weathering with pastels. Let me know what you think!

A little fun....

Thanks, comments/advice welcome!
padawan_82
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 817 posts
Armorama: 555 posts
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2011 - 09:33 AM UTC
looks good to me Brandon if you want to bin the horrible kit vinyl tracks Hobby Boss does some indy links in plastic a cheaper alternative to splashing out on a set of fruils. but even with the track issues you've captured the look perfectly. Ant.
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2011 - 09:48 AM UTC
Brandon:

COOL! Nice job on this about second-largest of German WWII "tanks"!

I have this kit - and, yeah, I looked at the tracks and want something different - I think the HobbyBoss route will be for me. But, as Ant said, yours did come out looking pretty nice, so Hats Off to You, Sir! Consider your experiments to be a solid success pretty much all around.

Please, though, DO straighten that antenna aerial. German vehicle aerials were typically pretty straight - usually made using a copper tube and not very flexible.

Cheers!

Bob
bmikk1
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 136 posts
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2011 - 03:52 PM UTC
Ant and Bob, Thanks for your comments. I had no idea Hobby Boss made tracks for this vehicle. I don't mind using vinyl tracks, but these were not the best quality.

Bob, thanks for the info on the antenna. It is just stretched sprue, I will stretch a straight one, easy fix!
padawan_82
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 817 posts
Armorama: 555 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2011 - 10:12 PM UTC
i didn't know myself until i looked around for indy links for my sturer emil since i couldn't justify paying for fruils which worked out more than the kit itself when i originally brought it on 1st release before all the manufactuers upped the prices (back when dragon tank kits were between £23.99 and £30.00) oh how i miss those days lol so it was an easy dicision Ant.
 _GOTOTOP