_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
88mm FLAK 37 - Tamiya 1/35
Naseby
Visit this Community
Slovakia
KitMaker: 825 posts
Armorama: 246 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2011 - 12:46 AM UTC
Hello dear Armorama members, Few days ago I started a small build which I would like to share and get some critique and advice on. I got the Tamiya FLAK as a present from my girlfriend and started it right away. It has been on my list for some time and even I know about Dragons newer offering, I also wanted to do the Tamiya kit, because it was arguably the best 1/35 kit back when it was released and has been a legend ever since. I cant skip the kit with which the production of superdetailed models started can I ? Anyway here are a couple of pictures. I decided to keep it OOB and only do minor cahnges. The Zundapp KS750 was done first to get an idea about the quality of the kit. There were some fit issues, but nothing a little putty cant solve. Then I started the Flak. The fit is reasonable and the parts do look like the real thing. I only added the bottom of the whole cross construction since I dont think it was hollow as respresented in the kit.

SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2011 - 01:11 AM UTC
Motorcycle looks great, and it looks to be a great start to the gun. Can't wait to see the final build.

Naseby
Visit this Community
Slovakia
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 05:42 AM UTC
Since we had holliday today I made some progress on the Flak. There are a few places where some work is needed. Pink marks are numerous and the fit of parts is sometimes not very good. I have rest of the week free so I expect to have paint on this one in few days.

stansmith
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 611 posts
Armorama: 584 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 07:25 AM UTC
looks graet. very nice bike!
stan
Naseby
Visit this Community
Slovakia
Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2011 - 10:15 PM UTC
Having a few days free, the work on the Flak is coming forward nicely. I wasnt home yesterday, but I took my moddeling stuff with me, so I could work on the undercarriage. It is the worst part of the kit, with all the ejector pin marks and sink holes as ju can clearly see. Some of it was dealth with putty but the rest will be hidden by some mud in the end. So far I keep the whole build strictly OOB.

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2011 - 03:52 AM UTC
Looks great. I love this kit. Lots of detail. I did mine as per DAK. From the looks of the motorcycle, I'd say you are doing the same.
Naseby
Visit this Community
Slovakia
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2011 - 04:25 AM UTC
Hi Matt, Im glad You like it. I thought about the DAK camo but I will do a Grossdeutschland division Flak 37 from the 1942 summer offensive in Panzer Grey with Dark Yellow flakes. The Zundapp will be part of another project in the future and as the helmet with the camouflage cover suggest it will be a post 1943 project.
Naseby
Visit this Community
Slovakia
Posted: Saturday, November 05, 2011 - 04:38 AM UTC
Made some progress today, the Flak is almous complete. I run into some trouble attaching the carriage to the gun. I dont like the idea of having it attached with screws as Tamiya suggested so I glued it in place. I dont plan on "playing" with the finished model anyway and I like the look of the Flak on its wheels.

Naseby
Visit this Community
Slovakia
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2011 - 06:11 AM UTC
As expected, I got some paint on the Flak today. I used Tamiya USAF green spray as the base. The camouflage is a combination of the Panzer gray and dark yellow used on some vehicles of the Grossdeutschland division during the 1942 summer campaign. I will continue with fading and washes in a few days.

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2011 - 07:18 AM UTC
I like the camo. Is that MM Sandgelb? You must have a nicer ab than me, for the lack of overlay.
Naseby
Visit this Community
Slovakia
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 07:35 AM UTC
Another four days free, so its time to do some work on this one. I made the basic weathering with paint. Now the difference of the camouflage colours isnt so huge.

Naseby
Visit this Community
Slovakia
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 10:55 PM UTC
I had to split my time between two buids, as Im also doing a 1/48 Messerschmitt build on Aeroscale, but the second stage of weathring on the FLAK is completed, so here are the pictures. I used MIG pigments mixed up in alcohol. The last picture shows the only marking I used, the german Stahlhelm in white - divisional symbol of the Panzergrenadierdivision Grossdeutschland during the 1942 summer campaign in Russia.

Rouse713
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 367 posts
Armorama: 326 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 06:23 AM UTC
I can't see the pictures. Something about your upload limit exceeded. I would like to see your work.
Naseby
Visit this Community
Slovakia
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 09:47 AM UTC
Hi Mark, I know its a shame, but photobucked failed me since I had two paralel builds with a lot of pictures and hitting 2000 visits this month. The pictures will reappear again in a few days, but I will also upload pictures of the FLAK here in Armorama gallery on saturday.
Naseby
Visit this Community
Slovakia
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 - 08:27 AM UTC
Well it took more time, but the pictures of the FLAK are finally here. I might make some small changes, adding some baggage or ammunition in a ready possition on the carriage, but as a whole I wont change the camo and weathering.

zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 1,646 posts
Armorama: 1,557 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 - 09:25 AM UTC
Naseby: That's a good looking 88!! Thanks for sharing.

Happy Modelling, -zon
 _GOTOTOP