_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Dragon Bergepanzerwagen IV
85thCuster
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2011 - 12:33 AM UTC
Looking for a little feedback while finishing this kit. This is my second armor build. The kit was primed with Vallejo red-brown primer, then top coated with Tamiya dark yellow. Camo pattern was done with Tamiya red-brown and khaki drab. Detail paint and chipping was done with Vallejo, Model Master enamels and acrylics, Polly Scale, and Testors. The tracks were painted with a base of Tamiya brown then washed with AK's track wash followed by AK's light rust wash. I used a silver colored pencil for some wear on the edges of the fenders and some of the hatches.

I've still got to paint the two sets of spare track links for the front and the right sides of the hull, and reattach the jack to the right fender.

The crane has been left off for the time being, as were planning on moving soon.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2011 - 01:38 AM UTC
I think you're sppot-on with the weathering. Detail painting is also excellent. The only thing I might suggest is to beat up the wooden beam a bit.
85thCuster
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 7 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2011 - 01:49 AM UTC
Thanks for the complements. The log was one of the the things i was wondering about. Any suggestions on the best way to approach it, or a pic of something similar?
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,128 posts
Armorama: 2,959 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2011 - 03:41 AM UTC
Cole;

Hi!

NICE Berge! Camo looks good and mostly your weathering and wear is spot-on, to me! I say "mostly" as actually I am in the "not silver" camp mostly - rather chip and wear edges with something more like very dark browns and dark steel, and / or a tiny edging of red-brown or similar to "reveal" a little exposed red-oxide primer around places bare steel (actually pretty dark except when freshly scraped) is exposed. So, I use black and dark umber or brown and graphite pencils for this stuff - Still - that's just a preference by me! And YOUR job looks GGOD!

Two things I would suggest: First - wooden beams... I have found that the easy and great way to get good - looking wood de-ditching beams is to use a piece of 1/4 inch square stock bass-wood. A real wood beam looks the part. That wood piece can be easily gnarled and gouged and nicked up - remembering that this beam may well have been chained to a tank-tread and driven over, or used to brace a veicle being pulled over it. It will get pretty banged-up. Also, the wood can be realistically stained with applications of very thin oil washes (or with acryl washes, or both) - darker grays, earth browns, dark browns, and dust it up with whatever dusting you may apply to the tracks of your berge. IF you are sticking with the kit plastic - you can carve and scrape on it some - keep most things in line with the beam, and not "cross-grain". Nick the edges. A bit of coarse sanding with 80 grit will get things roughed up. If you get any chance to, take a look at the wood baulks often found on haevy equipment hauler trucks. These will give you the colors (muddy grays and browns, some patches of stain, etc.) and the ambience of a chewed-on piece of wood.

And second, those pulleys. I would recommend you get dark steel or darkened gun-metal into the chain - grooves, and maybe add in a little dark brown and red brown washes there for minor rusting. This will make those pop! That, and chip the edges and make these things look pretty scuzzy - these would get banged up fast in use!

Cheers!

Bob
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2011 - 04:46 AM UTC
To age the log, you can use "weather it" available from http://www.micromark.com
A very nice build. Hard to belive it is only your second armor piece. Great weathering and excellent camo.
 _GOTOTOP