_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Tasca Sherman II El Alamein
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2011 - 01:51 PM UTC
I've been working on this the last ~6 weeks or so on and off.

This was built mostly out of the box. Only real addition was the funnel from the Formations accessory kit. This one has a few more small items left to add. The rails along the sand skirts, tow cables, and additional weathering, but it's mostly complete. The colors and camo design are custom mixed using approximations of the Mike Starmer colors that he's written about extensively.

Firecap4
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 309 posts
Armorama: 288 posts
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2011 - 02:05 PM UTC
Top notch job...love the camo and weathering
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2011 - 02:31 PM UTC
Love the paint job, looks really good. I presume you have the track weathering left to do. Great looking model.
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2011 - 03:30 PM UTC
Jesse,

This is one of my favorite subjects! I'd assume that there were no problems or issues with the Tasca kit.

I'll be looking forward, I hope, to seeing this one finished in Atlanta in February(?).
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2011 - 03:47 PM UTC
@Chuck: Thanks. The colors were a little 'stark' prior to weathering. I'm happy that the weathering toned them down. Got rid of that toy look.

@Kevin: Yeah, the tracks are only currently painted, and then drybrushed a little with steel. They will get a few layers of dust added via washes, and potentially some pigments.

@Mike: Typical Tasca kit Mike. Goes together extremely well and very well engineered. If I had to find 'problems' with the kit, it would be water can rack on the front fender. Once assembled, it's VERY tight to try and get all 3 water cans in. Hence my decision to just do 2. And the hull hatches don't quite sit right without a little trimming, especially once you add the handles. (not supplied by Tasca)

I'm happy enough with this one, so it should show up at the Atlanta show. I progress through projects quite a bit faster than your pace, but mine never have the intricacy of your models. I get bogged down if I pay 'too much' attention. This one has taken ~6 weeks so far, and a lot of that was 'waiting' while I emailed back and forth with Mike Starmer picking his brain. Not sure how many I'll take to Atlanta. Since the show early this year, I've completed 5 models, and have 2 in a holding pattern (our club project T-55, and my Italeri LVT-(A)1 waiting for the AFV Club tracks) along with this one which will be finished in the next few days prior to my Turkey Day vacation.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2011 - 09:32 PM UTC
Finished! The base color is somewhere between the pale yellow in the first photos and the much more 'tan' color in the 2nd set of photos. Lighting was far from ideal in both instances.

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 12:30 AM UTC
That's one nice looking kit. I agree with the above, the camo is awesome! I'll have to look up the custom paint mixture for my Dragon El Alamein.
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 01:07 AM UTC
I really like the way that turned out. It's amazing, really, because on my monitor the first pics made it look like buff / od green, and the final pics look tan / brown.

Either way it looks good to me.

G
Big-John
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 731 posts
Armorama: 711 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 06:27 AM UTC
Despite the lighting problems, This one really looks good Jesse.

Give your self a pat on the back as that is one good looking sherman.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 08:31 AM UTC
Thanks guys. I'm pretty happy with this one.

The real credit goes to Tasca and to Mike Starmer for putting up with all of my questions.
Totalize
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 743 posts
Armorama: 549 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 05:44 PM UTC
Jesse,

I like this build. It's hard to get a clear view of the completed model because of the pictures but from what I can see its looks quite nice.

Thanks for sharing your work.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 06:03 PM UTC
Yeah, the pictures aren't great. Had to use my cell phone.
 _GOTOTOP