_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
1/35 M1917A4 155mm Howitzer WIP
redleg12
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 872 posts
Armorama: 831 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 02:13 PM UTC
Fire Mission

Introduction

The M1917A4 155mm howitzer was first adopted by the US Army from the French Schneider company in 1917. The original weapon had hard spooked wheels and was used by the US in World War I.

After WWI the weapon received numerous upgrades including pneumatic tires, air brake system, and new shield to name a few. The M1917A4 was in service at the start of WWII and was phased out as the newer M1A1 155mm became available in 1942. The weapon saw service with numerous countries during both World Wars and then was moved out of service in most countries thru the late 1940s.

Photo Courtesy of Prime Portal

The kit

The kit is a newly released full resin kit from Commander Models. I worked with them on the research and evaluated some test pieces. The kit as you will see it assembled here is from the final parts after development of the kit. This kit is currently released by Commander Models.

The Build

This is a relatively simple kit with about 30 or so parts. The instructions are simple with 6 steps.

After separating the parts from their mold blocks, they were cleaned of any flash, a few minor air bubble holes were filled and parts were washed to remove any mold release compound

The first steps are to assemble the lower carriage. This includes the assembly to the main carriage part of the front axels, the air brake tank, shield support bar, rear spade, tool box cover (center of the carriage), elevation gear box and rear displacement bar.

All the parts fit well, I left off the elevation and traversing hand wheels to facilitate painting.

The next steps are the construction of the upper carriage and barrel. The upper carriage has the attachment of the elevation gears. The barrel assembly and breech were kept separate again to facilitate painting. There was a minor mold seam in the barrel which required some minor sanding.

Here is the test fit of the lower and upper carriages.

The shield like the lower carriage is nicely molded including all the rivets. The pre-production shield I had did not include the rivets on the backside. I placed those rivets using Archer rivet decals. The hole in the shield to allow the sighting of the panoramic telescope has a door. I used some leftover PE to ass the door and hinge over the hole. Also assembled onto the shield is the sight storage box to the left of the shield sight opening

Prior to final assembly, all the parts were primed using Vallejo OD primer. I just purchased a jar of this primer and have to admit it works great. This paint flows well out of the jar right to the airbrush even using a .020 needle. It covers well and gives a good base color for US or Allied painting.

After the primer coat was applied, I assembled the hand wheels onto the lower carriage. The lower carriage was then painted with Poly Scale OD. The tires were painted with a 50/50 mix of Tamiya NATO and Flat black and then the hubs and drums were also painted with the PS OD using a circle template.

I added PE rifling to the barrel from the parts box and followed the same painting as above. The elevation gear teeth, rails for the recoil and the breech block were then painted with Alclad Steel.

Inside the tube was painted Flat Black followed by Alclad Steel on the rifling
Shown here is the test fit of the painted upper and lower carriages.

Before final assembly, I will add the air lines for the brakes and then final assemble the model. The spade is in the travel position and does not lend itself to the emplaced position, based on its molding. I will display the model as if it is in the process of being emplaced so it is correct as assembled.

That’s it for now. As always all comments are welcome

Rounds Complete!!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 02:25 PM UTC
That looks really good Mike. A little before my preferred build period (WWII to modern), but nice all the same.
redleg12
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 03:21 PM UTC
Gino - Thanks for the peek.....it is early WWII. Well, at least it is artillery. Now they also have the earlier version for WWI with the spoke wooden wheels. That would be a strech even for me.

Thanks again

Rounds Complete!!

trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 09:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Fire Mission

Introduction

The M1917A4 155mm howitzer was first adopted by the US Army from the French Schneider company in 1917. The original weapon had hard spooked wheels and was used by the US in World War I.

After WWI the weapon received numerous upgrades including pneumatic tires, air brake system, and new shield to name a few. The M1917A4 was in service at the start of WWII and was phased out as the newer M1A1 155mm became available in 1942. The weapon saw service with numerous countries during both World Wars and then was moved out of service in most countries thru the late 1940s.

Photo Courtesy of Prime Portal

The kit

The kit is a newly released full resin kit from Commander Models. I worked with them on the research and evaluated some test pieces. The kit as you will see it assembled here is from the final parts after development of the kit. This kit is currently released by Commander Models.

The Build

This is a relatively simple kit with about 30 or so parts. The instructions are simple with 6 steps.

After separating the parts from their mold blocks, they were cleaned of any flash, a few minor air bubble holes were filled and parts were washed to remove any mold release compound

The first steps are to assemble the lower carriage. This includes the assembly to the main carriage part of the front axels, the air brake tank, shield support bar, rear spade, tool box cover (center of the carriage), elevation gear box and rear displacement bar.

All the parts fit well, I left off the elevation and traversing hand wheels to facilitate painting.

The next steps are the construction of the upper carriage and barrel. The upper carriage has the attachment of the elevation gears. The barrel assembly and breech were kept separate again to facilitate painting. There was a minor mold seam in the barrel which required some minor sanding.

Here is the test fit of the lower and upper carriages.

The shield like the lower carriage is nicely molded including all the rivets. The pre-production shield I had did not include the rivets on the backside. I placed those rivets using Archer rivet decals. The hole in the shield to allow the sighting of the panoramic telescope has a door. I used some leftover PE to ass the door and hinge over the hole. Also assembled onto the shield is the sight storage box to the left of the shield sight opening

Prior to final assembly, all the parts were primed using Vallejo OD primer. I just purchased a jar of this primer and have to admit it works great. This paint flows well out of the jar right to the airbrush even using a .020 needle. It covers well and gives a good base color for US or Allied painting.

After the primer coat was applied, I assembled the hand wheels onto the lower carriage. The lower carriage was then painted with Poly Scale OD. The tires were painted with a 50/50 mix of Tamiya NATO and Flat black and then the hubs and drums were also painted with the PS OD using a circle template.

I added PE rifling to the barrel from the parts box and followed the same painting as above. The elevation gear teeth, rails for the recoil and the breech block were then painted with Alclad Steel.

Inside the tube was painted Flat Black followed by Alclad Steel on the rifling
Shown here is the test fit of the painted upper and lower carriages.

Before final assembly, I will add the air lines for the brakes and then final assemble the model. The spade is in the travel position and does not lend itself to the emplaced position, based on its molding. I will display the model as if it is in the process of being emplaced so it is correct as assembled.

That’s it for now. As always all comments are welcome

Rounds Complete!!

Just saw a photo of one of these rigs in use last night. (WWI). I might add that there was also another 155mm howitzer inbetween this one and the M1a1. Number escapes me, but might have been M1918 (?). Anyway they used both of these at Corregadore and probably elsewhere in the Phillipenes. If anybody needs pics of the middle one let me know as I happen to have one parked close by
gary
redleg12
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 12:59 PM UTC
Gary, great to hear from you.

The other old 155 is the M1918 155mm gun. as opposed to the howitzer. THe M1918 was used mostly for coast defense including in the islands.

As for the picture....I would love it.....I could use it to pattern my final mounting.

I will drop you a PM with my secure push

Rounds Complete!!
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 02:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Just saw a photo of one of these rigs in use last night. (WWI). I might add that there was also another 155mm howitzer inbetween this one and the M1a1. Number escapes me, but might have been M1918 (?). Anyway they used both of these at Corregadore and probably elsewhere in the Phillipenes. If anybody needs pics of the middle one let me know as I happen to have one parked close by
gary

Right, there was an M1918 series of howitzers and carriages. Hopefully they'll do one of them.

The M1917A4 nomenclature belongs to the carriage, not the howitzer. The howitzer is an M1917A1. The one in the photo is odd, as the curved shield was supposd to be replaced with a straight one when the carriages were "high-speeded" with anti-friction bearings and pneumatic tires.

The "M1918A1" on Prime Portal is mis-labeled as a howitzer when it is actually a M1917A4 gun (see photo 12).

KL

KL
redleg12
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 03:25 PM UTC
Kurt - Next up for Commander Models is the M1897 75mm gun, two different versions of the carriage. Thanks for the info

Rounds Complete!!
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 08:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Next up for Commander Models is the M1897 75mm gun, two different versions of the carriage.

Mike,
That is the one that I am interested in, the M1897 with the spoked wheels... Might have to do one up for my boss, a retired redleg - go figure, working at Ft Sill...

John
redleg12
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 10:59 PM UTC
John - Great to hear from you.

I know how hard it is for you being around all those redlegs

That kit should be in final oroduction but should be out in a few months. It is listed on their web site but not yet available.

Rounds Complete!!
trahe
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,158 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 12:25 AM UTC
well done! When you display it as if it is in the process of being emplaced, do you intend to add a crew?

Automatic Steel!
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 02:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I know how hard it is for you being around all those redlegs

It is just a matter of adjusting my attitude as well as reminding them that artillery is too important to be left to just the artillerymen...

Great work on the M1917A4. I like the rivets and the "chunkiness" of the piece. Can't wait to see it completed.

John
redleg12
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 02:27 AM UTC
Tom - I am not a good figure person so I tend to stay away from figs. Also with the time period of this piece, I would need US figs with the old style WWI helment that was still in use during the early part of WWII. Plus most figs made are not correct for manning an artillery piece. Thus, most likly no...no figs.

John - LOL.....the weapon is like me....chunky!!

Rounds Complete!!
1.90E_31
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 252 posts
Armorama: 154 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 05:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Next up for Commander Models is the M1897 75mm gun, two different versions of the carriage.

Mike,
That is the one that I am interested in, the M1897 with the spoked wheels... Might have to do one up for my boss, a retired redleg - go figure, working at Ft Sill...

John

John,

Here's a picture of the next three guns:

US M1897 75mm gun on M2A2 carriage
Canon de 75 Model 1897 w/ limber
US M1897 75mm gun on M2A3 carriage

Jon
redleg12
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 05:50 AM UTC
Jon - Thanks for posting those and for peeking in.

Rounds Complete!!
trickymissfit
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 07:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The other old 155 is the M1918 155mm gun. as opposed to the howitzer. THe M1918 was used mostly for coast defense including in the islands.

As for the picture....I would love it.....I could use it to pattern my final mounting.

Rounds Complete!!

the one parked down the road from me is not a 155mm gun for sure. Barrel is relatively short, and might be shorter than the M1a1. Barrel is kinda funny looking with a large bulge at the breech. Surprised that nobody has done a kit of it (perhaps captured by the Japanese? )

And speaking of 155's and getting it done; I saw Charlie battery from my old unit shooting their m1a2's at the Hiep Duc Ridge on the Vietnam in HD the other night. Looked like they were shooting a charge three white bag behind HE in a direct fire mode. Had to be late 1967 or very early 1968 as there was grass in the target area and they all had white tee shirts on! I'm pacing the floor waiting for the Bronco kit to hit the shelves! Gathering pieces right now for a multiple M102 build (three howitzers) on an un named hill south of the Asahu Valley. Going to put that one in my VFW post in honor of friends who camped out there almost constantly. Which leads me to ask you about doing sheet metal culverts. Know of anybody selling them in resin?

bore clear
gary
trickymissfit
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 07:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rounds Complete!!

somewhere in my files, I must have twenty five or thirty hi-rez photos. P.M. me, and I'll find them for you. Also found a really nice 3" anti tank gun if you need any pics
gary
trickymissfit
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 07:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Kurt - Next up for Commander Models is the M1897 75mm gun, two different versions of the carriage. Thanks for the info

Rounds Complete!!

is that one also known as a "French 75"? Somewhere nearby I have one setting. Never photographed it, and now I need to remember where I found it!
gary
redleg12
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 02:58 PM UTC
Gary - PM sent, thanks. Yep...I figure you for a case of M114 kits,

Rounds Complete!!
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2011 - 02:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

John,

Here's a picture of the next three guns:

US M1897 75mm gun on M2A2 carriage
Canon de 75 Model 1897 w/ limber
US M1897 75mm gun on M2A3 carriage

Jon

Jon,
That is great news as there are 1:1 examples of two of the three listed above (US M1897 75mm gun on M2A2 carriage & Canon de 75 Model 1897 w/ limber) less than 100 yards from where I am typing this...

Looks like the camera is coming in to work next week.

Can't wait for their release as Christmas is coming.

John
redleg12
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2011 - 03:52 AM UTC
John - Would love to see your pics from cannon row. I will PM you with a secure push if you could relay some copies. Much appreciated!

Rounds Complete!!
trickymissfit
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2011 - 02:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Gary - PM sent, thanks. Yep...I figure you for a case of M114 kits,

Rounds Complete!!

I'd kinda like todo three different parapits at three different LZ's. The middle one is kinda important as that pig was blown up. The first one was when I was new and uneducated, but having fun. I later learned much differently. And I'll do one out on the Lao border on one of those unnamed garden spots that carried a number that didn't mean a thing to anybody.

I did find some really neat M1 photos awhile back, and they're crystal clear. So if the Bronco comes with the older jack as an option, I think that one of those pieces would be neat. If you ever need photos of an early 155 that uses the gear & rack on the jack plate let me know. I have one of them close by.
gary
gatorbait
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 252 posts
Armorama: 201 posts
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2011 - 04:05 PM UTC
This fills a nice hole from the Fall of the Phillipines to the first battles back right into the Italian campaign..Nice piece..
redleg12
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2011 - 01:50 AM UTC
Dave - Thanks for the peek.

Rounds Complete!!
trickymissfit
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2011 - 09:34 AM UTC