_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
M4A3E8 Sherman (KTO) ~ "Bad Ass"
errains
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 362 posts
Armorama: 350 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2011 - 11:59 AM UTC
Part 1-Inspirational Material

This project has it origins all the way back to 2007 during my last deployment just before I retired. I had packed a couple of Concord books on the Sherman and printed off a bunch of pictures that I downloaded off the internet to take along. During my down time I would pull these out and go over them, kind of building them in my head as a diversion from the daily grind of be so far away from home. One of the photos that I often returned to was a well-known picture of an M4A3E8 firing form a fixed position in the Korean highlands. I soon started working out how I would build up my version of this photo.

Once I returned home I started to conduct my research and gathering reference photos. During the time I came across as web site that that had about 16 pictures of E8s in Korea that I had never seen before. What really struck me about these was how they were configured with additional stowage items and the 3-tone camouflage. In one of these shots was an E8 named “BAD ASS”. After seeing that I knew then I would combine these photos to build up my version of the camouflage M4A3E8 “BAD ASS” in the Korean Theater of Operation.

Below are some interesting points from photos that will be included on the build.

Back 2007 the only real option was to use one of the Dragon E8 kits. But as luck would have it TASCA released one of their most excellent Sherman kits as a Korean E8, saving me the time of doing the conversion.

So I kicked off this project and built up the basic lower hull and mounted it. I used a pair of right angle clamps just to make sure the sides where attached correctly. It all went together pretty easily.

While Tasca’s tracks are nice I’m optingd to use the AFV Club T80’s as I’m planning to actuate the suspension, hoping that they will be a bit easier to deal with. Removing the tracks from the sprue was a bit of a problem as I had the tendency to snap them in half. Using an old hobby knife that was heated over a candle fixed that problem. Now on to the cleaning all the links….oh the joy!

So yep another E8 Sherman, but I really like it….what can I say!
shopkin4
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,135 posts
Armorama: 1,030 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2011 - 12:40 PM UTC
You've got me watching. I just got the RB Models barrel for my E8 so I'll be finishing mine soon. This was one that always interested me so if it wasn't for me buying a T-90A, and Leclerc this would be up at some point.
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2011 - 12:51 PM UTC
You are a jigaholic my fellow tank builder.

Very professional approach too.

~ Jeff
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 1,513 posts
Armorama: 1,449 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2011 - 01:30 PM UTC
Love the right angle jig!
I'll be watching too!
Dan
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2011 - 01:43 PM UTC
Looks like it will be a fun and interesting build. Where did you find your right angle clamps?
stansmith
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 611 posts
Armorama: 584 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 12:18 AM UTC
look forward to seeing the rest of this!
errains
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 362 posts
Armorama: 350 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 09:56 AM UTC
I would like to say to say thanks to everyone for their comments…so THANKS Guys!

I picked up the right-angle clamps a couple of years ago when I was plan and project that never got started. You can find them from MicroMark. They offer two types now, the Orginal Clamp and Long Clamp . While a bit pricey I have used them with great success and would recommend them to anyone doing big conversions and/or scratch building, and of course they are a big help with the new trend of separate hull parts.

...Jigaholic
Totalize
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 743 posts
Armorama: 549 posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2011 - 02:34 PM UTC
Eric,

This is going to be a real treat and looks like a boat load of work. But I am sure you are up for the challenge judging from your work on your other E8.

Love those clamps. They look the part.

Looking forward to this one.

Dave.
Firecap4
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 309 posts
Armorama: 288 posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2011 - 03:07 PM UTC
Love your presentation of this project; I will be following this one.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 04:33 AM UTC
Eric-- might the "pipe" be a heat ing vent?
DJ
 _GOTOTOP